Home General Discussion

Morro Castle

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
I've seen this referred to as "Cuban" in style...can anyone shed some light?

Just had a Gurhka Widow Maker that was not a great experience.  Tough draw...even burn but had to really inhale hard to get much and even then the flavor was really mild....

Being it is Memorial Day weekend and I had some time I decided to torch a Morro I had in the same humidor for about the same time ( 9 months).   This baby had great combustion...a lot of plumes of smoke...much preferred it to the Gurhka but still kind of an everyday, workman like flavor....for the price a dandy but my question is what qualities does this have that compare to Cubans?   My knowledge of Cubans is not real strong.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont think it is anything like a cuban cigar. the "cuban style" could refer to the fermentation process, the rolling style, the bunching style, or any number of things.
  • seagarloverseagarlover Posts: 437
    Just had A MORRO CASTLE Chilll 7x48 yesterday, it was one I picked from the build your sample of 10 at Cigar.com this site come to think of it. Anyway, the meaning behind that cuban style is the seed that is used and the wrapper, the wrapper was one of the very first used in Cuban cgar making, my castle was so good that I'm going to order a box next month. This is a good CGAR and as for the GURKHA, I'm having one right now it's 0757 hrs in California and this is one of the best CGARS I have ever had, I'm smoking the GURKHA BEAST and it is AWESOME The picture is not of a beast but of a GURKHA
    Just had A MORRO CASTLE Chilll 7x48 yesterday, it was one I picked from the build your sample of 10 at Cigar.com this site come to think of it. Anyway, the meaning behind that cuban style is the seed that is used and the wrapper, the wrapper was one of the very first used in Cuban cgar making, my castle was so good that I'm going to order a box next month. This is a good CGAR and as for the GURKHA, I'm having one right now it's 0757 hrs in California and this is one of the best CGARS I have ever had, I'm smoking the GURKHA BEAST and it is AWESOME The picture is not of a beast but of a GURKHA Photobucket
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I wouldn't call it Cuban in anyway. That's not to say it isn't any good. I enjoy them. Keep them in my box. Love the wrapper, AJ's hybrid Ecuadorian/Sumatra. Hmmm.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I have two Morro's in different vitolas. I am hoping to smoke one today aor tomorrow and based on that save the other for a while.
    seagarlover:
    Anyway, the meaning behind that cuban style is the seed that is used and the wrapper, the wrapper was one of the very first used in Cuban cgar making
    the seeds and types of plants originally used in cuban cigars was Criollo and later Corojo (developed to resist mold)
    most of the tobacco used today is descended from those plants. many many cigars that have cuban seed that are not in the cuban style.

i do feel that it has more to do with the blending style, fermentation, rolling style than almost anything else. heck, it could have more to do with the blending style than anything else. i mean, AJ was trained by a Cuban Legend.

the "cuban seed" is in the fillers and binders in this cigar. the wrapper is a Ecuadorian Sumatra.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    According to the descriptions. It is supposed to taste like an old style cuban. It doesn't taste like a modern day cuban to me at all BUT I don't know what a cuban tasted like 50 years ago so I can't comment beyond that.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I had a Robusto last night. I have to say that the ash held on for almost 3 inches before it dropped and was very white. The draw was smooth. It was an enjoyable smoke. Not something I will keep a lot on hand, but a decent smoke.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    All I know is I hate when I see a non-Cuban described as Cuban-esque. I know it's marketing, but it still pisses me off.
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    marineatbn03:
    I had a Robusto last night. I have to say that the ash held on for almost 3 inches before it dropped and was very white. The draw was smooth. It was an enjoyable smoke. Not something I will keep a lot on hand, but a decent smoke.
    Totally agree here man. Morro Castles are an incredibly underated cigar. Spot on Construction and good solid flavors in everyone I've ever had. in fact, I need to get a few more of these in . . .
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    *Petey*:
    marineatbn03:
    Totally agree here man. Morro Castles are an incredibly underated cigar. Spot on Construction and good solid flavors in everyone I've ever had. in fact, I need to get a few more of these in . . .
    Wanna trade? I have a few...didnt like them ar first, waited a few months...had one yesterday and still don't.
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    catfishbluezz:
    *Petey*:
    marineatbn03:
    Wanna trade? I have a few...didnt like them ar first, waited a few months...had one yesterday and still don't.
    I'm game.

pm me for details
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    +1...perfect example of misguided marketing
    Steve2010:
    All I know is I hate when I see a non-Cuban described as Cuban-esque. I know it's marketing, but it still pisses me off.
    I spoke to a Cigar expert at Cigar Journal, he said that it is the seed and the wrapper. this should put your mind at rest
    seagarlover:
    I spoke to a Cigar expert at Cigar Journal, he said that it is the seed and the wrapper. this should put your mind at rest
    the gurkha or the morro castle?

i mean cigar.com has the description as (and i quote): Morro Castle contains a mix of Cuban-seed Honduran and Nicaraguan tobaccos masked with AJ's famous Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper that means it is a sumatra seed grown in Ecuador.

• kuzi16:
    seagarlover:
    the gurkha or the morro castle?

i mean cigar.com has the description as (and i quote): Morro Castle contains a mix of Cuban-seed Honduran and Nicaraguan tobaccos masked with AJ's famous Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper that means it is a sumatra seed grown in Ecuador.

it doesn't have the typical sourness from the sumatra I've grown accustomed too. That may just be me but to me it taste more like a milder criollo wrapper. Just my honest opinion. Good smokes though.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Dunno about the Cuban tie-in, but the Morro Castle is a good smoke! Great value stick!

• MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Dunno about the Cuban tie-in, but the Morro Castle is a good smoke! Great value stick!

+1 good for the value!:-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I enjoy Morro Castle have a box of churchills and Robustos always a good morning smoke