Home General Discussion

How many servicemen do we have here?

beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
It seems to me that the majority of you good BOTLs are somehow connected to the armed forces. Lots of war lingo and such. Drop a note here so we all know. As to myself, I'm an old peace-nic from the 70's. But I've since learned the fallacy of my ways. I'm grateful to all of you that have served.

Comments

• Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    Active duty navy, been in for 10 years. Only planned to do 4.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    It seems to me that the majority of you good BOTLs are somehow connected to the armed forces. Lots of war lingo and such. Drop a note here so we all know. As to myself, I'm an old peace-nic from the 70's. But I've since learned the fallacy of my ways. I'm grateful to all of you that have served.

Are you referring to active duty?
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Not directly related to the Armed Forces but facilitate their overseas work very closely.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Air Force veteran here
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    jlmarta:
    beatnic:

Not at all. I'll even count those we are memorializing today. LOL/
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Marines here.
    beatnic:
    jlmarta:
    beatnic:

Hey, JL, you got any old tatoos of an anchor, or MOM?. That'l work. LOL
    marineatbn03:
    Marines here.
    I guessed that one. Others are equally as obvious.
    beatnic:
    marineatbn03:
    Marines here.
    I guessed that one. Others are equally as obvious.
    Figured it went without saying.....
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    beatnic:
    jlmarta:
    beatnic:

Hey, JL, you got any old tatoos of an anchor, or MOM?. That'l work. LOL

No, but I've got one on my left forearm that was put there in anticipation of my going into submarine duty. The design closely resembles the submariner emblem and was to be modified into the complete emblem when I was stationed aboard a sub. Only thing is, my discharge came through before my sub billet did so it never got changed. And it doesn't say MOM but it does have my Navy nickname included in it. My, my, the things young studs will do, eh? :-)
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Navy vet. VFA-125 NAS Lemoore, CA.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Former Tanker, M-60 A1; M-60 A3; M-1; also did a stint as a recruiter; then National Guard as a Tanker again. Also, Army brat, Dad did 30 years, & my son, who left his right hand in Afghanistan, along with losing his right ear-drum, and about 8 broken Vertebrae in his back and neck.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Well thank you and your family for your sacrifices.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    marineatbn03:
    Well thank you and your family for your sacrifices.
    And to you, sir for what you're doing now! For me it was all fun & games, (and hard work and freezing my ass off etc.), but for some it was a lot more. I guess I should also mention 2 uncles who were at Pearl Harbor, when IT happened, and my wife's Dad, who landed at Normandy on day two, not much fighting, but a lot of dead bodies & debris, decidedly affected him for the rest of his life!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Good lord, your family has some strong history. I would love to sit down and have a smoke and hear some stories.
    Pearl Harbor!, Normandy!, a tanker!, submariner! Marine! Anybody jump out of a plane? I'm humbled.
    Does HALO school count?
    Toombes:
    Does HALO school count?
    No dis to you Toombes. You're a great American. LMAO.
    beatnic:
    Toombes:
    Does HALO school count?

You're thinking the wrong kind of HALO, brother...
    High
    Altitude
    Low
    Opening
    Special Forces Jump school.
    Toombes:
    beatnic:
    Toombes:
    Does HALO school count?

High
    Altitude
    Low
    Opening
    By far one of the best schools
    marineatbn03:
    Toombes:
    beatnic:
    Toombes:
    Does HALO school count?

High
    Altitude
    Low
    Opening
    By far one of the best schools

And one I never wish to endure again...
    You jumped out of perfectly good airplanes? That goes against human nature.
    Thats just pure fun. What is not fun is jumping out of a plane at 500 ft and HOPING your chute works. Atleast at 13,000 you have time.
    Bail out at 13K+ and pull at 1700... Water hurts at 57MPH, but damn it was cool!!
  • Churchill83Churchill83 Posts: 80
    Active duty Air Force here; aircraft mechanic on the KC-135 tanker
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    24 years as an M1, M1A1, and M1A2 tanker. Desert Storm, OIF3. Still training Soldiers and Marines on a daily basis in Kuwait.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Former SIGINT analyst (35N) for the US Army.
  • Jim1130Jim1130 Posts: 13
    Air force weapons troop f 16. Son is going into the national guard.. Thanks to all who paid the ultimate price for our freedom...
  • slickricslickric Posts: 705
    ex Army here (5 years). now i am in afghanistan with them as a civi contractor
  • Airborne Infantry right now, but come november its back home to oklahoma. I have about 20 jumps, mostly C-17, but i also have a black hawk, and a sherpa tail gate jump.