Home General Discussion

Pre-Embargo Cubans on Cigar.com

Did you guys see them? Figures, I go and get engaged and now I can't buy any! They are under the Luxury Collection.

Comments

• DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Nice, good to see ccom carrying some different higher end stuff...
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I'm intrigued, yet cautious about a cigar THAT old; IIRC, even the most full-bodied cigars don't always make it 20 yrs; these used to be mediums and its been almost 70 yrs. Still, I have heard really old ones like this have a distinctive "musky" taste that some collectors go wild for, and I wouldn't say no given the chance to smoke one
    xmacro:
    I'm intrigued, yet cautious about a cigar THAT old; IIRC, even the most full-bodied cigars don't always make it 20 yrs; these used to be mediums and its been almost 70 yrs. Still, I have heard really old ones like this have a distinctive "musky" taste that some collectors go wild for, and I wouldn't say no given the chance to smoke one
    Last summer I was lucky enough to get to smoke a pre embargo, although the brand is slipping my mind at the moment....it was nothing short of spectacular....properly cared for and aged cigars stand the test of time, I have smoked pre embargo, '70's 80's, 90's, 2000's and I can tell you it is a complete altering experience, I thought my 2-10 year old stuff was good (which it is) but this **** was mind blowing...
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I'd like to grab one just to try it.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Diamondog:
    xmacro:
    Last summer I was lucky enough to get to smoke a pre embargo, although the brand is slipping my mind at the moment....it was nothing short of spectacular....properly cared for and aged cigars stand the test of time, I have smoked pre embargo, '70's 80's, 90's, 2000's and I can tell you it is a complete altering experience, I thought my 2-10 year old stuff was good (which it is) but this **** was mind blowing...
    jealous!
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    xmacro:
    Yeah guys, these are legit. Funny because we had to get a special humidor just to store these things because of that "unique musky smell" xmacro describes above. It is definitely a unique character that you won't experience elsewhere.
    Just a heads up on cigars this old. Some of you may have some experience with it, but once cigars age for 50+ years they lose a lot of character. These are smokable, but dont expect tons of flavor. Personally, I dont care for cigars this old but many do. I find them to be more collectable than anything else.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Just a heads up on cigars this old. Some of you may have some experience with it, but once cigars age for 50+ years they lose a lot of character. These are smokable, but dont expect tons of flavor. Personally, I dont care for cigars this old but many do. I find them to be more collectable than anything else.

This is what I appreciate the most Alex. Your honest opinion, because I have no experience with cigars that old. Yet, I do find them interesting and was wondering if they are more of a collectible cigar because of the time spent aging. Thank you....

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Alex Svenson:
    Diamondog:
    xmacro:
    Yeah guys, these are legit. Funny because we had to get a special humidor just to store these things because of that "unique musky smell" xmacro describes above. It is definitely a unique character that you won't experience elsewhere.
    I'll be your guinea pig if you want to send me a few to smoke. ;-)
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Alex Svenson:
    When will these be on sale
    Alex Svenson:
    This is extremely subjective, the aged stuff I have smoked was absolutely incredible, I have smoked aged stuff that for example tasted like I had literally bitten in to an orange the citrus flavours were so prominent, again tea flavours....taste, flavours, cigars are extremely subjective as you know....
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    big chunks:
    When will these be on sale
    Now! Just go to the cigar tab, and scroll to the "L's" you'll see em in the luxury collection. I'm kinda interested... it'd be very cool to have something that old! Alex mentioned using a separate humidor...will this skunk up or mustify my humi or other sticks?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I guess it's a dollar for every year
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Sorry guys I bought all the boxes. Better luck next year.

Naw Jk. Outta my price range :(
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    Eventhough these are way out of my price range it is really cool to see ccom carrying this stuff.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    The cheapest pre - embargo I've found was $125 a stick. These prices are affordable by comparison.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Damn. I'd love to try them out, but 50 plus years? How did you guys even find these?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    xmacro:
    agreed.

there are many cuban cigars from the 50s, 60s, and 70s that collectors would die for. when there are reviews of these cigars often there is speak of how they have not lost that much power.

i have only once smoked a cigar that is so far past its prime that it had almost no flavor. that cigar was over 10 years old and started out as a mild cigar.
    Like I said, many people like these, I was just stating that for me, I don't prefer them. Remember a lot of what you see here are clear Havanas. Machine made cigars. A different animal vs Cuban Hand Rolled which there are some. Those definitely have some finer qualities vs the clear Havanas but command a much different price.