Home General Discussion

Liga Privada QC???

OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
So I was pretty pumped all day to think about smoking this T52 that Justin had sent me a little while ago. I was going to celebrate closing on my first home and come home and kick my feet up with a good cigar. Had been thinking about it all day and couldn't wait to get the T52 out. Well, a couple of puffs into it I notice that it's EXTREMELY hot on one side and tasting pretty bad. So I decide to clip into it a bit and figure out what the deal is. This is what I found....

Now, I do still love my Ligas, but this was a real let down on what is such a great cigar most other times. Just wish I could put a little more faith in them.

Comments

• DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I'd email Drew Estates and send them the pics. Seems like the cigar world has some good customer service.
  • sierrawestsierrawest Posts: 50
    Lots of comments/problems on various forums about de and quality issues. pretty expensive sticks to have so many complaints. I have had issues with the LP9 and FFP on a couple of different occasions but the undercrowns seem fine...
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    I did email them just to let them know and try and get an explanation. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I've had wrapper issues lately....multiple times, had it with a no 9 today and pulled a stem out....
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i find this interesting. DE used to have amazing QC.
    a few have mentioned other issues and they seem to be growing.
    its amazing and interesting how a company can have no issues for years and a few here and there will totally make people second guess the line.
    i hope JD can recover from this. i also hope it isnt a trend for the company.
    kuzi16:
    its amazing and interesting how a company can have no issues for years and a few here and there will totally make people second guess the line.
    That's the biggest thing for me - hoping it's not a trend. I really love their cigars. FYI Matt, I have a special occasion planned for a particular cigar rolled at, I believe, the Plasencia factory!
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    I personally haven't had any problems. Sorry that happened. If I had another I would send you it but just sent out my last one.
    JHewey:
    I personally haven't had any problems. Sorry that happened. If I had another I would send you it but just sent out my last one.
    No need for that, you sent me 2! And I appreciate it.
    OchoZacho:
    kuzi16:
    That's the biggest thing for me - hoping it's not a trend. I really love their cigars. FYI Matt, I have a special occasion planned for a particular cigar rolled at, I believe, the Plasencia factory!
    yes... that is the factory. i hope you enjoy it.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    yea... Had an Undercrown that had some sorta piece of cloth stuck in between the filler and wrapper. I just yanked it out and it smoked fine. Still though...
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Hate to see this, especially with a cigar as premium as a T52. I love the brand more than just about any, but it does bother me to see some recent QC issues.
    jliu:
    yea... Had an Undercrown that had some sorta piece of cloth stuck in between the filler and wrapper. I just yanked it out and it smoked fine. Still though...
    A piece of cloth!?! Come on DE!!! This is not good.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Zach, I had a similar situation happen to me a few weeks ago smoking my first T52, only mine happened on the head of the cigar and was about 1/3 the size. I heard a 'pop' after taking a puff and didn't think much of it, but when I took my next puff it tasted like I was licking hot oil and sure enough, "something" had exploded similar to yours and gone over the head of the cigar. I was able to angle cut that portion off and continue to smoke it but I have never had that happen in the previous smokes I have had. Pretty disappointing for a $12 cigar to have those issues, hopefully it was just a fluke
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the employees want their LP9 back.
  • Pmarti9069Pmarti9069 Posts: 18
    I've smoked a about a dozen Undercrowns and have never had a problem with them. That being said, I have limited experience with their higher end T52's and No. 9's, and I've had major draw issues with every single one (about a 4 stick sample size). So yes, QC does seem to be an issue.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    I guess what concerns me more, as a tried and true fan of liga and undercrown, is not there was a mistake, hey that happens whether we want to beleive it or not but the sheer size of that stem. That right there is no small mistake that is just someone, I imagine not 100% sure, completely not paying attention at all. it wont deter me from lighting my next one up but it may have me pay a little more attention for sure.
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    OchoZacho:
    jliu:
    A piece of cloth!?! Come on DE!!! This is not good.
    HAHAHA, was thinking the same thing. thats just fing, weird.

To Kuzi's point though, my guess is that the issues you all are seeing now are related to the shortages they just had. As a company I bet its pretty hard to be as stringent on QC when your already facing a shortage. Give DE some time and the benefit of doubt and i'm sure they'll be right back where they used to be in no time.

all speculation though.
    Bombay:
    I guess what concerns me more, as a tried and true fan of liga and undercrown, is not there was a mistake, hey that happens whether we want to beleive it or not but the sheer size of that stem. That right there is no small mistake that is just someone, I imagine not 100% sure, completely not paying attention at all. it wont deter me from lighting my next one up but it may have me pay a little more attention for sure.
    That was probably only half of the stem too! I had to clip it down pretty far and it started very early in the smoke.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Dark Roast:
    This is what I was thinking. Especially since the undercrown, which they CAN smoke, is having no issues.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Ken Light:
    Dark Roast:
    This is what I was thinking. Especially since the undercrown, which they CAN smoke, is having no issues.
    im sure that JD is working on this.

i mean, after the 45 min speech in his QC room at the DE factory that i was witness to im surprised that any problems are coming out... i dont see it continuing.
    just not his style.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    Dark Roast:

i mean, after the 45 min speech in his QC room at the DE factory that i was witness to im surprised that any problems are coming out... i dont see it continuing.
    just not his style.
    You're probably right, but many people talk a better game than they execute. A good boss cannot be defined by the presence or absence of problems like this, they will happen no matter what, but you can define one by how he or she reacts and takes control. This will define him either way, hopefully for the best.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    Dark Roast:

just not his style.
    You're probably right, but many people talk a better game than they execute. A good boss cannot be defined by the presence or absence of problems like this, they will happen no matter what, but you can define one by how he or she reacts and takes control. This will define him either way, hopefully for the best.
    very good point. i guess time will tell.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    The only thing I can add is that I have smoked 3 No 9 in the past few weeks and they were all wonderful. I purchased them form C.Com when they were in stock. Three different sizes and they all burned, tasted, and smoked great. All 3 were purchsed in the month of May if that helps.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I picked up one out of a new box last night.. Will give it a try today and see what's up.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I also had a Dirty Rat and L 40 both were perfect.
    I have smoked at least 2 dozen or so undercrowns and a few LP 9's as well as some LP 40's over the past year or so and haven't had any issues at all other than the fact that I wanted more! Just disappointing when you're forward to a premium stick and instead you get a premium problem.