Home Ratings & Reviews

Thoughts on some of AJ's sticks

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
I think these are all his blends...if not someone please correct me.

I've had all these numerous times and just recently.

In order of preference:

1-Man O War Armada-OK only had this once and have one more I am waiting for a special spot for but found the first one a perfect cigar.....burns slow....full bodied and full flavored with no harshness....I remember it being relatively complex

2-San Miguel-Sad to see this going away....creamy, tasty medium bodied smoke with a nice sweeter flavor...burns great

3-San Lotano Oval-Top notch quality smoke with a lot of depth and flavor...great burn...only had one so far but have another resting

4-Moro Castle-I see it as an everyday type smoke but a dandy.  I don't like smoking good sticks on the golf course but my buddy loves Gurkha so I brought a couple Crest's out...decent enough but would have preferred this smoke.

5-MOW Ruination-I am not as high on this as others but it is a solid stick with earthy notes to my taste..burned a little uneven today..

6-Ava Marie-First time I had this I thought it sucked ass....second time it was a much better experience...have one more left..

7-La Herencia Cubana-My first experience with this was outstanding..since then I have had another dozen or so and I still like it but have found the consistency varies from stick to stick.....or my buds do :)..similar to Morro Castle but not as good imho

8-MOW-I've had this probably a half dozen times and just don't see the fascination with it...maybe a personal preference thing....not saying it is bad but I'd smoke many others before this

Comments

• DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    ZAP:
    I think these are all his blends...if not someone please correct me.

I've had all these numerous times and just recently.

In order of preference:

1-Man O War Armada-OK only had this once and have one more I am waiting for a special spot for but found the first one a perfect cigar.....burns slow....full bodied and full flavored with no harshness....I remember it being relatively complex

2-San Miguel-Sad to see this going away....creamy, tasty medium bodied smoke with a nice sweeter flavor...burns great

3-San Lotano Oval-Top notch quality smoke with a lot of depth and flavor...great burn...only had one so far but have another resting

4-Moro Castle-I see it as an everyday type smoke but a dandy.  I don't like smoking good sticks on the golf course but my buddy loves Gurkha so I brought a couple Crest's out...decent enough but would have preferred this smoke.

5-MOW Ruination-I am not as high on this as others but it is a solid stick with earthy notes to my taste..burned a little uneven today..

6-Ava Marie-First time I had this I thought it sucked ass....second time it was a much better experience...have one more left..

7-La Herencia Cubana-My first experience with this was outstanding..since then I have had another dozen or so and I still like it but have found the consistency varies from stick to stick.....or my buds do :)..similar to Morro Castle but not as good imho

8-MOW-I've had this probably a half dozen times and just don't see the fascination with it...maybe a personal preference thing....not saying it is bad but I'd smoke many others before this
    All are good. Grab an Armada corona they are awesome
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    AJ makes many more blends than those. To me his shining stars are the regular San Lotano habano, the puro authentico, and the ruination corona.
  • ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
    True...these are just the ones I've had
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I must admit I'm a AJ ****
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I do like almost everything aj has blended........but I feel that 95% of his blends do need rest prior to smoking. He seems to blend a lot of stuff with a searing retro hale that smooth out over time. But even when I know to rest them I still always have one rott
    Money can't buy taste
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    ......but I feel that 95% of his blends do need rest prior to smoking.
    +1
    I like almost all AJ's stuff, but for some reason I find the Ave Maria line flat and uninspiring (especially at the price point it's at), I've smoked a few each of four vitolas........guess it's not in my flavor-wheelhouse

Have yet to try a Reconquista, and have some from March madness......gonna let them sit for a while longer, then torch one and see what's up.....

• scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    mmmmmmmmmmm Armadas
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    KingoftheCove:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    ......but I feel that 95% of his blends do need rest prior to smoking.
    +1
    I like almost all AJ's stuff, but for some reason I find the Ave Maria line flat and uninspiring (especially at the price point it's at), I've smoked a few each of four vitolas........guess it's not in my flavor-wheelhouse

Have yet to try a Reconquista, and have some from March madness......gonna let them sit for a while longer, then torch one and see what's up.....

When you do decide to try a Reconquista I would suggest you dry box it for a day before lighting it up. The wrapper is veru oily and the one I had recently had some burn issues because of it. The next one I will dry box for a day and then try it again. They are VERY tasty !

Can't say as I have met an AJ stick that I didn't at least enjoy. I find that his flavor profiles are right up my alley.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    mmmmmmmmmmm Armadas
    speaking of them, I need to light one up again.
  • josiahcoljosiahcol Posts: 70
    I have yet to have anything by AJ i didn't like....wait scratch that, i meant fall head over heels in love with. Each time a new blend comes out its Christmas morning for me all over again.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    josiahcol:
    I have yet to have anything by AJ i didn't like....wait scratch that, i meant fall head over heels in love with. Each time a new blend comes out its Christmas morning for me all over again.
    I'm the same with AJ. Cool to see you jumping head first into the forums, man, welcome aboard. If you get a chance, post a little blurb about who you are and all so we can all get to know you a little better.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • josiahcoljosiahcol Posts: 70
    Ken Light:
    josiahcol:
    I'm the same with AJ. Cool to see you jumping head first into the forums, man, welcome aboard. If you get a chance, post a little blurb about who you are and all so we can all get to know you a little better.
    Advice taken brother...posted a new thread in the general forum. Thanks
  • robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    Love AJ cigars haven't had a bad one yet
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ZAP:
    I think these are all his blends...if not someone please correct me...
    there are more.

5 Vegas AAA
    A. Fernandez Signature
    AJ Fernandez Fresh Rolled Ave Maria
    Cigar.com Brazilian Label
    Diesel
    Diesel Unlimited
    Esteban Carreras
    Graycliff G2
    Graycliff Turbo
    Gurkha Microbatch S-2
    Gurkha Microbatch C-10
    Gurkha Microbatch TPB-1
    Gurkha Park Avenue
    Gurkha Sherpa
    Indian Tabac Split Decision
    ITC 10 Year
    La Cuna Bin 85
    La Herencia Cubana Core
    La Herencia Cubana Original
    Man O’ War
    Man O’ War Armada
    Man O’ War Puro Authentico
    Man O’ War Ruination
    Morro Castle
    Nica Libre
    Padilla Achilles
    Padilla Habano
    Reposado 96
    Rocky Patel 10th Anniversary
    Rocky Patel Fusion
    San Lotano
    San Miguel
    Sol Cubano Artisan
    Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet

im not even sure if i can call that all inclusive.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    ZAP:
    there are more.

5 Vegas AAA
    A. Fernandez Signature
    Diesel
    Diesel Unlimited
    Esteban Carreras
    Graycliff G2
    Graycliff Turbo
    Gurkha Microbatch S-2
    Gurkha Microbatch C-10
    Gurkha Microbatch TPB-1
    Gurkha Park Avenue
    Gurkha Sherpa
    ITC 10 Year
    La Cuna Bin 85
    La Herencia Cubana Core
    Man O’ War
    Man O’ War Armada
    Man O’ War Ruination
    Morro Castle
    Nica Libre
    Padilla Achilles
    Padilla Habano
    Reposado 96
    Rocky Patel Fusion
    San Lotano
    San Miguel
    Sol Cubano Artisan
    Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet

ccom sungrown, LHC oscuro fuerte (I think), Est. 1844 (I think), MoW side projects, MoW Virtue, Emilio AF1 and AF2
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:
    ZAP:
    there are more.

5 Vegas AAA
    A. Fernandez Signature
    Diesel
    Diesel Unlimited
    Esteban Carreras
    Graycliff G2
    Graycliff Turbo
    Gurkha Microbatch S-2
    Gurkha Microbatch C-10
    Gurkha Microbatch TPB-1
    Gurkha Park Avenue
    Gurkha Sherpa
    ITC 10 Year
    La Cuna Bin 85
    La Herencia Cubana Core
    Man O’ War
    Man O’ War Armada
    Man O’ War Ruination
    Morro Castle
    Nica Libre
    Padilla Achilles
    Padilla Habano
    Reposado 96
    Rocky Patel Fusion
    San Lotano
    San Miguel
    Sol Cubano Artisan
    Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet

ccom sungrown, LHC oscuro fuerte (I think), Est. 1844 (I think), MoW side projects, MoW Virtue, Emilio AF1 and AF2
    i knew i was forgetting some biggies. thanks for that hand.