Home Non Cigar Related

Other hobbies and interests?

brc81brc81 Posts: 249
So what else is everyone into other than cigars?

By day I'm a computer geek, but I also enjoy hunting, fishing, camping, into jeeps, and enjoy working on things. i.e. yesterday I rebuilt the fuel pump in a small outboard motor for my fishing boat.

Comments

• Accounting during the day. I like discgolf, taking pics w/ a cheap camera I have, camping, and long walks on the beach....oh wait, this is Iowa, long walks by the cornfields.
  • 405bench405bench Posts: 36

brc81:
    So what else is everyone into other than cigars?

By day I'm a computer geek, but I also enjoy hunting, fishing, camping, into jeeps, and enjoy working on things. i.e. yesterday I rebuilt the fuel pump in a small outboard motor for my fishing boat.

You and I have much in common (cept the computor geek part).

I'd add motocross/woods racing and lifting heavy weights.  

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Any and everything to do with tattooing.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Playing guitar, writing music, biking, swimming, fishing, offroading, and fixing my truck when I break it offroading (which is often).

Me and a couple friends are also trying to get a band together, but it's more of just an excuse to get drunk and make obnoxiously loud noise.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I'm like fishing, bowling, golf, and reading when I have the time. I watch a lot of baseball and football, and play fantasy sports as well. That's the majority of what I do these days.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I am a big video game player, I draw a little, listen to music, explore long island, go to the beach, play football or frisbee, I follow baseball and NFL Football. I was a shot-putter and discus thrower in high school and last year in the NCAA. I was dominant in high school, but I couldn't adjust to mediocrity in the NCAA. I like to fish sometimes, and watch movies. And I play goallineblitz.
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Let's see. I love wasting time on the internets (pretending to look busy at my desk)and lately have been spending many wastful hours on facebook. I also love food- especially cooking and pastry/dessert creation. Oh and I'm a drummer of 25 years so I love playing.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Cruising the coast of Maine in my sailboat by summer and back country tele-skiing by winter. In between seasons I like to get depressed and smoke too much.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Golf, Tennis, Camping, Hiking, Going to see live music, eating at fine local establishments
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i build and modify electric guitars. I keep Koi. I cook and if you wanna call it a hobby, i drink a lot of beer.

its not my fault beer is great. ( i didnt brew it)
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Like beta, I'm a video gamer, usually on my xbox 360, aside from that, my day usually consists of going to class, doing a bunch of homework and such. Other than that, I like fishing, cooking, trying to watch all the movies on this list, not even a third of the way through, but it's something that seemed like a cool thing to try to do during the next 15 years, reading, and poker.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I headbutt small animals, I'm big into music, though haven't been active lately. Basically when I'm not working (biotech), teaching Thai Boxing or hitting the gym, I'm just hanging around with friends. Dammit I'm boring. Waiting for the nice weather so I can start golfing (terribly) and fishing.
  • My outside life is usually spent at work. Other that cigars I enjoy music, movies, reading, playing videogames and general life plesantries. I like spending time with my fiancee and friends.
  • brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    kuzi16:
    i build and modify electric guitars.

Me too! Also, tube amps and stomp boxes. I also play in a band and do some fishing. That's about it, though.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    brsmith21:
    kuzi16:

Me too! Also, tube amps and stomp boxes. I also play in a band and do some fishing. That's about it, though.
    im not so much into the amps and stomp boxes.
    i feel that they have less artistic options.
    i enjoy building and modding because it gives me a chance to mess with the design aspects. my electronics are usually a bit on the simple side. for example:
    the guitar in my basement has two humbuckers in it. each pickup has an on/of switch to it and a coil split. each pickup also has its own tone/volume. im kind of undecided on if im am going to do a phase/OoP switch. Its an old harmony H803 so the room is very limited. i had to do a bit of routing. ...still need to touch that up...

my last project was an old yamaha rgx 220. i refinished it with the image of Happy Noodle Boy. I replaced the Tremolo with a floyd rose. the pickups were replaced with DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck and DiMarzio Steves Special in the bridge. the pickup selection is somewhat limited, however. its a 3 way switch: Neck, Bridge, and center two coils of each in parallel. one volume, one tone, and a switch that kills a bunch of the low end. this is the guitar that i use most of the time. it just feels good to me. its what i used in my last band that i played guitar in (I prefer bass). Its a good punk rock guitar. great mids and highs (especially with the bass kill on) and the cartoon on it is basically a stick figure flicking you off. worked well for the punk scene.
  • bwcarter54bwcarter54 Posts: 142
    I love to scuba dive. Nothing better after a day of diving on a reef than to set on the beach with a cold beer in one hand and a fine cigar in the other.
    kuzi16:
    i I keep Koi. ( i didnt brew it)
    That is awesome man. As I'm sure you know, there is a huge place in tattoo art for koi. I personally think they are gorgeous fish, the leasing office of our apartment complex here has a kind of moat surrounding it with koi in. How bad is the upkeep?
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    duh, forgot about tennis. I like tennis and now that the weather is getting nice, I should be able to get on the courts more often. I have a crappy back hand that need a lot of work.
  • brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    kuzi16:
    brsmith21:
    kuzi16:

im not so much into the amps and stomp boxes.
    i feel that they have less artistic options.
    i enjoy building and modding because it gives me a chance to mess with the design aspects. my electronics are usually a bit on the simple side. for example:
    the guitar in my basement has two humbuckers in it. each pickup has an on/of switch to it and a coil split. each pickup also has its own tone/volume. im kind of undecided on if im am going to do a phase/OoP switch. Its an old harmony H803 so the room is very limited. i had to do a bit of routing. ...still need to touch that up...

my last project was an old yamaha rgx 220. i refinished it with the image of Happy Noodle Boy. I replaced the Tremolo with a floyd rose. the pickups were replaced with DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck and DiMarzio Steves Special in the bridge. the pickup selection is somewhat limited, however. its a 3 way switch: Neck, Bridge, and center two coils of each in parallel. one volume, one tone, and a switch that kills a bunch of the low end. this is the guitar that i use most of the time. it just feels good to me. its what i used in my last band that i played guitar in (I prefer bass). Its a good punk rock guitar. great mids and highs (especially with the bass kill on) and the cartoon on it is basically a stick figure flicking you off. worked well for the punk scene.
    That's cool.
    I do some painting, but nothing that would be considered artistic, just solid colors. I like bass, too. I usually go between that and guitar depending on who has quit recently. As for the amps and stompboxes, I agree that they're not very artistic in terms of appearance most of the time, but it is a pretty good feeling playing a show on a guitar you built, through your own pedals, into an amp that you also built. I don't blow anybody away with my playing, but I do have my tone dialed in like I like it.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Lets see here. Obviously cigars. When I am in town, I have an Aikido school in Chicago where I am an instructor which takes up some time and keeps me exercising. Other than that, my other hobbies are whisky, shooting, hunting, and traveling. When I find the time and to a lesser extent, skiing, hiking, playing with my Xbox and I am a bit of sucker for the movies.
    A couple of xbox players here. We should have a monthly tournament or something and wager a cigar or two each.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    betasynn:
    A couple of xbox players here. We should have a monthly tournament or something and wager a cigar or two each.
    hmm, that's not a bad idea. Well my Xbox Live tag is yup, your looking at it.. lol.
    ditto, mine's betasynn...

What games do you play?

• Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    betasynn:
    Not a bad idea. I'll have to get my XBOX Live account set-up. I haven't played any video games in awhile, other than a freeware game called Dwarf Fortress, which I haven't played in close to a month now.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    betasynn:
    ditto, mine's betasynn...

What games do you play?

Pretty much any shooter you can think of, right now I'm on a Resident Evil 5 kick. As for my gamertag, it's Agent Eggroll.
  • Since I'm a student going to class is my biggest hobby. I also love movies, books, coffee, whisky, and music.
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I'm a huge computer geek and I enjoy fishing and hunting. I also play bass guitar.

Oh and I'm a huge metalhead m/
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I'm a big shooter and handloader. I shoot USPSA matches which is a hell of a good time. If you want a better look at the matches go to www.hosercam.com, click on "video clips" and choose any of em. He has a open class race gun, i shoot production and Limited 10 so not quite as exotic. Other than that i love wine(cool california hobby), whiskey, homebrewing, hunting/fishing and poker.
    Hey Jet, you've got a PM.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Back atcha'