Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

My Father Flor de las Antilles

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ain't it great. When I joined this forum I was just a raw newb looking for a Kuzi to advise me which end of the match to rub on which edge of the box. But within a few weeks, out of nowhere, what a shock! Catfish tricks me out of my address, and then I get bombed by Mike and Steve and what not. All this upper crust uppowoc I never heard of and never would have considered buying... high value mystery boxes... arriving daily at my doorstep.

That's the shock. Here's the awe: The Island Flower, Flor de las Antilles. Yeah, some of these mystery sticks from BOTLs who obviously suffer from a bizarre giving addiction are not to my taste. But then, as I wade through them, which is the only way to know, you know, I stumble on sublime sotweed cylinders like this:

Look at her. Isn't she pretty? All dolled up with an elaborate band and a ribbon on her foot? The deal is, this girl is just as lovely inside as she is out. A rich brown shiny sungrown Nic wrapper, box pressed with gently rounded sides, smelling like pumpernickel, cream, and earth. That's right, I said pumpernickel. Who would expect a cigar to smell like dark sweet rye bread? Well, it does. And when I pop off the triple cap and draw, it flows easy as smelling a bakery down the block, and they are baking pumpernickel. This is remarkable. Can't wait to light it.

Lights easily toasting the foot with one match. The volume of smoke is something else. She pours out smoke just setting in the ashtray groove. In fact, it's not two minutes before Bearswatter drives me out of the TV room and into the garage, because there's just too much smoke for her. What do I taste? Cream and black bread. I don't taste the sweet of pumpernickel, but the same dark rye. Just a tickle of sungrown in the distance. In fact, about a quarter hour in, the Nic filler kicks off, adding some bitterness. Bitter dark rye and cream. The Flower burns very patiently. I can leave it lay there three or four minutes, and when I come back, she's ready to draw. The cherry travels an inch in a mere quarter hour. In the middle, I got a hint of pepper, and the bitter toned down. But always the creamy pump. The pepper passed in a few. Tell you, I milked this wonderful stogie to the hot nub. Only lasted an hour. Fine as frog hair throughout.

Left me a tad dizzy. But that could be that I was drinking hard apple cider with ginger in it, which I heartily recommend as mouthwash to your cigar. When I was done, I had a full on pumpernickel stinkfinger. This morning, a damp wheeze and a morning mouth that loves espresso latte.

I rate this four and a half. Would be five if it lasted longer. If I had two, I would light one off the other. Been jonesing for the Island Flower? Go grab one. No, better grab two.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Nicely done, your pallet is much more refined than mine. I was eyeing this cigar, I think I'll have to pull the trigger.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Davis I think I'll have to put that on my ever expanding and no room for it list.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Nicely done, your pallet is much more refined than mine.
    My pallet is just a skid.
    My palate is but a yearling.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic review, I enjoyed reading every word - thank you for sharing.
    I've been bombed with 2 of these in the past month, going to fire one up this weekend. Really looking forward to it - I hope I'm able to detect the pumpernickel and rye favors you described so well.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    musicman3musicman3 Posts: 622
    Great review. I have been enjoying these myself. As a matter of fact I am smoking one now as I read and reply to this.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the review, I need to pick one up.
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    i read your review a while ago and every time i go somewhere to get sticks, i totally blank out, i so have to grab some of these
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Interesting, can't say I've ever tasted pumpernickel. And I'll have some of the other stuff you smoke...wow you're out there.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Excellent review and right on the money! Aeon(you guys remember him, right?)sent me one about a month ago and it was awesome! Smooth and creamy with just enough spice to let you know it's a DPG blend. I didn't get the pumpernickel but my sinuses were kinda screwy at that point. I'd like to try another to see if I can pick it up second time around. Gents, if you haven't had one I highly recommend them!
  • Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    ive smoked a couple of them. Love them. Dont know if i get that exact flavor profile, but its a great stick. Enjoy the HE double hockey sticks out of them.
  • Options
    NectarCigarNectarCigar Posts: 171
    Have one of these sitting in the humi, need to smoke! Thanks for the review!
  • Options
    Broke the robusto size out last night as I was sitting outside with the wife.

Wonderful construction, the wrapper did crack a bit when I took off the cap band, but it really didn't affect the burn.

My robusto lasted almost 90 minutes, but part of that was me running my mouth and letting it go out.

Enjoyable cigar if not a bit plain to me.

• Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    For me, this is in my top three new releases this year. Just enjoyable everytime I light one up. Robust is my favorite vitola. Nice review Davis!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Pairs really well with a nice scotch. Going to try bourbon tonight.
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    i smoked my first one last night, i really enjoyed it
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoked my first one of these a couple weeks ago.  Fantastic!  Bought a box of the Toro Gordos.  Usually I avoid anything "Gordo", because the only 60 ring I like are almost always Perfectos, these are only 56, and there are exceptions to every rule.  Jaime Garcia is a genius, I just love his work.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the first cigars I smoked and I loved it back then. I have some that have been aging for a year; so I should give another a try soon.
  • Options
    Eulogy said:
    One of the first cigars I smoked and I loved it back then. I have some that have been aging for a year; so I should give another a try soon.
    The one I had a couple weeks ago was from a B&M, I don't know how old it was.  I had to try a fresh one, box is marked Sep 8th this year.  Fresh was pretty darn good, but it's going to be an exercise in self control to wait for them to come into their own.  I'm going to try to hold out until Christmas for my next one.  Or, go back to the B&M, now there's an idea. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a definite go-to anytime because it always delivers!
  • Options
    I can't wait for the maduro version to be released. 
  • Options
    Eulogy said:
    For real?  Is this happening?  Guess I'd better start stashing more cigar money.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eulogy said:
    For real?  Is this happening?  Guess I'd better start stashing more cigar money.
    Of course it's happening...  I just stocked up on a couple boxes, so wouldn't you know it?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    There was a small prerelease a little while ago and I believe that the full release is late next year.