Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

gran habano 2002 vintage

twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
just got done smoking this one. so good i smoked it till my fingers where burning!! i had to relight it once i walked away for a few minutes.had a nice oily feel to it .was a little spicy at first but was smooth thru out .great smoke i definitely recommend it!
no matter where you go, there you are.

Comments

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic inexpensive cigar. I set one down and went into a gas station, took a leak, got a fountain drink, and waited on my brother in law. Get back to the car and it was still burning beautifully. I am trying to remind myself that the price tag does not equal quality.
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Agree..... probably my favorite (well one of them) value menu sticks.
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I got about 15 robustos, still haven't tried one, maybe tomorrow I'll light one up
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah they are great smokes. I got one left, been in my humi bout a year now. Gonna have to get some more so I can fire that puppy up.
  • Options
    seagarloverseagarlover Posts: 437
    WOW, yes I posted the same review last week this is my favorite smoke the flavor is so awesome i think it's the cedar wrap. it is so taisty I LOVE THIS SMOKE
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Agreed 100%! Love this smoke.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Good to know guys I've been having these in the back of my mind for a while now I might have to order some
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    They are awesome. I smoke them on a near daily basis.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it when people discover these, and, I need to buy some soon.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    NectarCigarNectarCigar Posts: 171
    Great cigar especially for the price!!
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah i got mine in a sampler and didnt think it looked that good so i sat on it for awhile.ended up being really good
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    seagarloverseagarlover Posts: 437
    I'm going to chime in again on the GHV2002, this to is one of my favorite smokes, the robusto is great for a short drive or before a meal.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Are you kidding me !!
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Are you kidding me !!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    kaspera79:
    Are you kidding me !!
    PM to you.
  • Options
    I smoke one every day with my first cup of coffee. Haven't found anything comparable for the same price. TC
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    tincup703:
    I smoke one every day with my first cup of coffee. Haven't found anything comparable for the same price. TC
    Do you prefer the vintage over the regular corojo I think its the # 5 ??, I like the # 5's but most of the vintages ive had were churchills? I like the #1 and # 3 as well
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I've been reading people's love of these cigars for years. Personally, I can never get them to burn worth a damn. Even dry-boxing doesn't seem to help. They seem like they are simply unwilling to stay lit and the effort I have to put forth to keep them going is so frustrating I haven't enjoyed one yet. I still have one more so I'll get it one final chance. I wish I could love this cigar.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I've had several mazzos over the past few years. The wrapper leaf is a bit inconsistant. But when the wrapper works, yes, it's the best $2 cigar on the market.
  • Options
    NectarCigarNectarCigar Posts: 171
    +1 on a great inexpensive cigar!! Also great to have on hand for buddies who don't smoke that much, they always like the taste of them and they don't look like an inexpensive cigar all dressed up like they are.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Necro!

This cigar has come up in conversation again and I broke out one of my remaining Gran Habano Vintage  2002s and fired it up. The pre-light draw on the mazo I got two years ago has always had grassy hay-like notes on the pre-light and strong hay flavors on the finish as well. In fact it's the dominant flavor in the finish. I'm still thinking these are OK and a great price but I just don't dig that hay flavor very much.

I don't mean to horse around but, has anyone else experienced the hay in the profile?  
  • Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Great inexpensive smoke.  I haven't had one in a while but I clearly remember for the price it was a great smoke.
  • Options
    Timely, I am expecting some today. I used to smoke these a lot, but haven't in at leasr a year.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Hey! ........ What about the hay?

I have another one of a larger vitola that was gifted to me. I think I'll spark that one up tonight and see if my experience with the hay in the profile is limited to perhaps some inconsistencies in the blend of my particular mazo from two years ago. 
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Give me a week or so, I'll try and be aware of hay, although I don't remember that from previous impressions.  What I do remember is deep dark chocolate, and black pepper, and that certain Gran Habano spice.

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't remember hay or grassy. Usually those flavors would go away with age. I typically think of young cigars as being grassy, unless it's some kind of connie.  I do remember having some that were OK and the occasional one that was terrific.  Cheap cigar, not bad.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll let yall know what I think in a few days
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Options
    OK, so curiosity got the best of me and I smoked one last night.  Stuffed full of hay, or so it seemed.  NOT what I remembered from when they first came out, but, I did remember why I stopped buying them.  The first year or two that these were out, I'd have compared them with many a $10 - $12 cigar, they were a steal.  Then something changed.  I don't think it was me, I think it was them.  How sad.  Well, I guess I've got a bundle of yard / shop cigars.  This too shall pass, just as the next time these come up in some kind of deal, I shall pass.

• Options
    OK, so curiosity got the best of me and I smoked one last night.  Stuffed full of hay, or so it seemed.  NOT what I remembered from when they first came out, but, I did remember why I stopped buying them.  The first year or two that these were out, I'd have compared them with many a $10 - $12 cigar, they were a steal.  Then something changed.  I don't think it was me, I think it was them.  How sad.  Well, I guess I've got a bundle of yard / shop cigars.  This too shall pass, just as the next time these come up in some kind of deal, I shall pass.
    Thanks for posting this.

I was beginning to think I might be nuts for talking about the hay.

Or, that that there's lots of city-boys here who may not really know anything about hay. 

Last night I meant to smoke the one odd gordo I have that was gifted to me that didn't come with my mazo of robustos. I fell asleep too early but I'll try again tonight to see if it's the same hayish profile.
  • Options
    So I fired up the gordo and, the hay profile was in there but not as dominant as with the robusto. Still, not a stick I would seek out again. Maybe the blend has been changed since the early offerings.