Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Terminator

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
Has anyone seen this movie yet? I haven't, but I am actually considering going to the theater to see it (which I haven't done in years). Is it worth the ticket price or should I wait for the DVD?

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    My friend saw it today and said it was pretty good but the end was kind of anticlimactic. If you want to see a good movie though, my advice is the new Star Trek movie. It was great
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    ive heard terminator was good. but if you only see one movie in the next few weeks, see star trek. it was spectacular.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I'm pretty big on movies, so I went to see it the wednesday before it came out, and the scoop is thus:

It was, as a standalone action film, pretty good, lots of eye candy insofar as explosions and props, and a half-decent (if predictable) story line. However, as a successor to the rather weighty and well-known Terminator series, it wasn't great. If you have the scratch and the time, go and see it though.

• Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I have to also say, if you are only going to see one movie, make it Star Trek. I'm not evena Star Trek fan, never watched the TV shows or anything, but damn it was a good movie. Definately the best movie I have seen so far this year.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I dare say there hasn't been a movie in a long, long time I've wanted to see as much as I want to see The Hangover. I'm pretty sure I've already overhyped it in my mind and it won't live up to the billing. But that type of comedy is right up my alley.

Generally, I don't see movies in the theater. This one I'll will be.
  • Options
    G-ZowG-Zow Posts: 7
    I agree with alienmisprint here, even if you don't care for sci-fi (like me), you would still enjoy this movie, and for not watching many of the shows I still understood what was going on. I just caught the Terminator the other weekend with my girlfriend, I enjoyed it but you do have to go back and watch the old ones to fully understand whats going on.
  • Options
    Luko, that does look like a hilarious movie! Mike Tyson seals the deal for me, too. I'll be seeing either Up or Drag me to Hell today. The girlfriend gets to pick, so I'm guessing it'll be the later.
  • Options
    jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    Minor spoilers below......

The movie as an action flick was good, and if you go into the movie wanting just that than you're good to go. But if you have several more brain cells or are a Terminator fan wait until this comes out as a rental.

The movie leaves you with no emotional connection to any of the characters, and if not for Sam Worthington the acting would have gotten an "D". Honestly, the T-franchise has given us so much depth yet McG and crew seemingly decides to skip any script with any substance for the sake of action. Way to think outside the box, Hollywood.

Many things were just plain ridiculous, and at times I wondered if I was watching The Matrix. I think skynet city needed more fire-spewing pipes Amphibious snake bots? Honestly? And who would have thought that people in post-apocalyptic Earth would have such white teeth and healthy, shiny hair. Little things like this made the movie unbelievable.

"I just met you 4 hours ago, let me snuggle up to you. You have such a strong heart. I, like, just loves a man wif such a strong heart beat." Stellar script, Hollywood.

They did show a couple things fairly well, like one of the gaurds (T-600) had rubber skin. I remember that Reese from the first movie said the T-600's were easy to spot because of it. That guy, and the one that appeared earlier in the movie (in the LA street) looked to me to be even earlier models than the T-600 when you compare them to what the T-600 looked like (neck struts, shoulder joints, skull size) on the assembly line. I wonder if there's any truth in that. I'll have to look into the timeline of Terminator development.

And if I remember correctly, the scars that Connor got at the end of this movie are the same that are shown in Terminator 1, when they show the flash forward of Connor looking over the battle field.
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    betasynn:
    I'll be seeing either Up or Drag me to Hell today. The girlfriend gets to pick, so I'm guessing it'll be the later.
    when given the choice, your gf would choose drag me to hell over Up? lol, awesome...my fiancee has been trying to Drag me to Up for about a week now.
  • Options
    Haha. My girlfriend is pretty cool. Oh, and I forgot to mention that movie, so thanks for reminding me.

Awesome movie. I went, expecting to see a 'jump out and surprise you' sort of horror movie. Pedestrian at best. But as I watched that movie, I realized it was something special. It was one of those movies that made fun of itself. And as it did that, it was still a rather scary movie. It had a bit of a Tarentino feel, which is great for me. Really good movie.

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    jlzimmerman:
    "I just met you 4 hours ago, let me snuggle up to you. You have such a strong heart. I, like, just loves a man wif such a strong heart beat." Stellar script, Hollywood.

I think she just needed some.......... I'm sure it was a while for her and this guy was fresh meat! :-)
  • Options
    adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    nsezell:
    betasynn:
    I'll be seeing either Up or Drag me to Hell today. The girlfriend gets to pick, so I'm guessing it'll be the later.
    when given the choice, your gf would choose drag me to hell over Up? lol, awesome...my fiancee has been trying to Drag me to Up for about a week now.
    You're girlfriend has been trying ot drag you to hell...hahaha
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    F**** star trek! hehe... I want to see terminator, but the non R really pisses me off. Who the hell do people think they are by dumbing down ratings to attract the damn kiddies.