Home General Discussion

Nub Maduro

gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
My favorite cigar lounge now has all the nub maduros. Im kinda curious about these as Im a sucker for anything new. What Im wondering is if these are worth it if your not pressed for time. Like will these offer anything an Oliva serie o or g chrchill maduro wont? Especially since they are close in price range at the place I go to.

Comments

• Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    From what I understand, the only one of us that's had one is Maddy. From what he said, it sounds like a good stick. I know as soon as I can get my hands on one, I'm buying it.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    To me the Nub has nothing to do with how much time you have. I have smoked several of them, and the shortest amount of time I spent smoking one was an hour and ten minutes. They aren't meant to be a time saver cigar. They are supposed to be a consistant cigar that is all sweet spot. If you smoke one in less than 50 minutes I would think it would get WAY too hot towards the end.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I have had one. It was at the launch event and to be perfectly honest I wasn't analyzing it. You can check out my post in the reviews section. I am a fan of the NUb in general, I think its a great concept and delivers exactly what it says. IMO its a great smoke while you are doing something like mowing the lawn or shooting the **** at the cigar lounge, its just simply a good cigar and not one that needs to be contemplated as its the same from start to finish.

First off though it definetly delivers something the Oliva maduros do not, its a Brazilian maduro and the Oliva's are all Broadleaf. The maduro was pretty good very strong cocoa flavor. If you like that chocolate/cocoa flavor this is your stick. My one beef with it is that it starts off very harsh. Even Sam Leccia(NUb Founder) said you have to warm it up a little, his claim was its the ligero they used. I think it may smooth out after a little rest, either way after the first puff or two its excellent. Grab one and let us know what you think.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I'm going to a Nub event tomorrow. I'm hoping the have the Maduro. If they do, I'll pick up a few. Maybe 2 - 3 of each size. Can't spend too much money. Saving for a house.
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Cool, thanks for all the input. I guess Ill light one up today. There is going to be a Nestor Miranda release party tonight that I cant make it to. So I guess Ill just stop in early to hang out and try out the Nub Maduro. I do like a lot of cocoa in my smoke when Im in the mood so I might just like thins one. Something about such a short, fat cigar always deters me from trying these. Im just a churchill kinda guy.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    This is one cigar I want VERY badly. As soon as I can get my hands on a few, I'm going to give one or two a try. I LOVE the Nub habano, in my top cigars personally, so I'm very excited for this release.
    betasynn:
    This is one cigar I want VERY badly. As soon as I can get my hands on a few, I'm going to give one or two a try. I LOVE the Nub habano, in my top cigars personally, so I'm very excited for this release.
    I'll be at the B&M tomorrow, if they have their shipment I'll pick you up a couple. I had the 460 Torpedo and always prefer the torpedos as IMO its a little easier to smoke with that tapered end. Any preference on your part?
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Nah, you don't need to send me any; I'm a little overstocked at the moment at my end anyhow. Appreciate it though!
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    betasynn:
    Me too. I've been wanting to try since I heard about it. The Habano is in my top as well. Gabe, don't worry too much about the size. IMO, they smoke just the same as a larger sized cigar.
    I will warn you guys the Maduro is no where near as strong as the habano it is a dead on medium body IMO.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    madurofan:
    I will warn you guys the Maduro is no where near as strong as the habano it is a dead on medium body IMO.
    I'm glad they went with a Medium body with this stick, I've had a bit too many kick you on your butt full bodied smokes as of late. For now, I'm just waiting for my B&M to stock up on Mad Nubs.
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Sadly time got the best of me today and I wont be able to make it in to the shop. I went ahead and ordered 1 online. I wont be able to smoke again till monday night so Ill probably have it then. Went with the torpedo as it seems that will make it easier to smoke.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ...im just waiting for one to magically show up at my door.
    You know they usually multiple on the way there and sometimes they spawn a few RP's.
    i better get that vinotemp....
    Nub Event tonight. Hope they have those Maduros. They will probably be my last cigar purchase for a while.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Our shipment just hit today. will be in stock monday.
    Sweet ... a couple of things. First don't ask Sam what that stuff is called that is in the tupperware that he uses to hold the wrapper together, its called pectin and it has been asked of him so many times it drives him nuts. Do ask him about the picture that shows up when Jose Oliva calls him. Ask him about the Amsterdam NUb project too.
    Alex Svenson:
    Our shipment just hit today. will be in stock monday.
    Sweet. Have you had one yet Alex?
    maddy,
    you ***!

i just got your package: two nub maduros, RP fusion MM, RP spring collection, and an RP Connisseuor. (TAA signature)

this is what i get about being excited about a cigar.

ill review as soon as i find time to smoke the nub. this is next on my "to smoke" list.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Kuz, He hit me too. hard.

A Nub Maduro, A Nub ?maduro? (black band with Sam's Signature, I'm assuming handrolled at the event), an Illusione cg:4, an Illusione hl, a G.A.R by George Rico, and a Punch Champion.

This one hit hard with some favorites and some sticks I've been wanting to try. Then the special nub...please share what you can about it Maddy! BTW, nice going with the RP selection for Kuz!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Super Sweet! I will be ordering this bad boy up on Monday!
    Been looking forward to this one ever since I heard about it!
    Haha, two more down. :)

I said it in another thread but I'll repeat it bc its pretty cool. I said in one thread, I believe the nub review thread, that I got two NUbs that were rolled in front of me by Sam Leccia. He created a custom band just for the NUbs that he rolls at events. The wrapper is the same brazilian maduro leaf that comes on the nub maduro but the binder filler combo is Sam's personal mix. I held a mini drawing right here in my house of a couple deserving BOTL's the winner got that NUb, sorry but the other one is mine. :) Enjoy Brandon.

I always try to hit kuzi with new RP's for him to age for 2+ years and tell me how they are then, I like RP too much to wait that long to smoke it :).
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    madurofan:
    Sweet ... a couple of things. First don't ask Sam what that stuff is called that is in the tupperware that he uses to hold the wrapper together, its called pectin and it has been asked of him so many times it drives him nuts. Do ask him about the picture that shows up when Jose Oliva calls him. Ask him about the Amsterdam NUb project too.

Hmmmmm.....Amsterdam Nub Project ? ...could it be .....???
    gmill880:
    madurofan:

Hmmmmm.....Amsterdam Nub Project ? ...could it be .....???
    Tis indeed.
    I forgot to ask about the Amsterdam Nub project but he did give me two cigars that he rolled there. One connecticut and I believe the other was a Habano. He was rolling some special Nubs with tobacco as the label and was raffling them off. I left around 9:15 so I don't know who got them. My friend bought a box of the 464T Maduro and got the 20% off, hat, etc... There was supposed to be a special Nub in there. Supposedly there were only 3000 made. I didn't see it. My other two friends split a box but I'm not sure what they got. I myself bought two of each size maduros. I smoked one torpedo. It was hard to taste everything since I had just finished smoking an ISOM Hoyo.

I refrained from asking about the pectin but others kept asking. I joked with him about it. He did say a little about his new cigar with all Ligero. I asked about the Nub Miami and he said that it will be a while. Padilla is having problems with securing the name.
    The special nub in the box package is a barber pole.

Sam's a good guy isn't he?
    Yeah, he seems so. He is a LOT different that I thought. When I think of people in the cigar industry I think of older guys not from the US. He had on his rattlesnake skin boots, Cross neckless and a fedora for part of the night. Oh, and his shirt was open at the chest. I wonder if that look would work for me. LOL! I have a hairy chest, but I think my man boobs might take away from the whole experience. HAhahahah
    Yea I've heard him say a few times that he's just an average white guy from Pittsburgh. An average white guy wearing $500+ boots, lol
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Just had to share this. I couldn't wait, smoked the maduro on the way home from a meeting today and stopped to take this picture along side the highway.

Maduro Nub Stand

Overall, I found this to be a very pleasant stick. It is right in the medium body, no more, no less. It is very consistent the whole way through. Mildly sweet with hints of cocoa and bitter chocolate. I did not sense and pepper or spice in this cigar. I have some of these on the way from ccom shipment and look forward to have more. Thanks again Maddy!