Home Cigar 101
Options

Drinks to compliment cigar

I got a Montecristo White just the other day, and I'm looking for something to compliment it. This is my belated first cigar so I'm really looking forward to this opportunity. I would like your input on good drinks that would go with this cigar. Please keep it non-alcoholic, as I have a family history of alcoholism. I'm also looking into buying a CAO American for the Fourth if I find cigars to my liking, so drink suggestions for that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Never had a Montecristo White, but I usually drink something that can stand up to the cigar flavors, since I'm allergic to alchohol, I'm in the same boat as you are. Anywho, my favorite drinks with cigars are Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, Root Beer, coffee and water. Water is for tasting a cigar for the first time to get all the flavors out of it, but seeing as how your testing the waters a bit, stick with a soda. Some guys here also like Sierra Mist, Sprite and the like.

It's up to you, you also might not want to go with a CAO America, it's a bit on the heavier side, try out an Oliva Serie G or if you want to stay with CAO, try the CAO Gold, both are fine cigars, won't kill your wallet and won't make you sick from being so full bodied.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I love me some Schwepp's Ginger Ale
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a history of drinking too much---but it is a history I also like to keep up every Friday night---so I stick with booze....lol. J/K, at least halfway. But when I smoke during the week or not at night when I may be out tipping a few back, I agree with a few posts here that a good soda is the way to go. Odd, I have always been a pepsi man (and still am) but when smoking a cigar I prefer a Coke----anywhay thats my 2 cents.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    with a monti white i would go with something light like some light tea. maybe an Earl Grey but steeped for 2.5 minutes instead of 4 or 5
  • Options
    kent1146kent1146 Posts: 86
    kuzi16:
    with a monti white i would go with something light like some light tea. maybe an Earl Grey but steeped for 2.5 minutes instead of 4 or 5

Kuzi's got the right idea.  For mild-medium smokes, I'd recommend tea.  You don't want to overpower the flavor of the cigar with too much taste or sugar from your drink.

For a more complex, darker, earthier cigar, I'd recommend some mild-medium bodied coffee.  Coffee flavors mix very well with those types of cigars.

I tend to stay away from cold drinks when smoking cigars.  The cold tends to dull my taste buds, so I end up tasting less flavor when I drink something cold.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    kent1146:
    kuzi16:

Kuzi's got the right idea.  For mild-medium smokes, I'd recommend tea.  You don't want to overpower the flavor of the cigar with too much taste or sugar from your drink.

For a more complex, darker, earthier cigar, I'd recommend some mild-medium bodied coffee.  Coffee flavors mix very well with those types of cigars.

I tend to stay away from cold drinks when smoking cigars.  The cold tends to dull my taste buds, so I end up tasting less flavor when I drink something cold.
    With my milder sticks, if I drink anything other than water, I'll have a glass of Arizona diet green tea. It has a really crisp, clean taste that doesn't overpower and it isn't sugary-sweet.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I'm a big fan of latte's or something similar.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    betasynn:
    I'm a big fan of latte's or something similar.

Star Bucks White Chocolate Mocha ....uuummmmmmmmmmmm !!!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    gmill880:
    Anything with Sierra Mist in it.
    Fixed that one for ya Gene, no need to thank me. :)
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    j0z3r:
    gmill880:
    Anything with Sierra Mist in it.
    Fixed that one for ya Gene, no need to thank me. :)

'preciate ya havin' my back there Joe ...star bucks, what was I thinking ....uummmmm Sierra Mist ....;)
  • Options
    SweetnLowSweetnLow Posts: 28
    Thanks for all of your prompt responses. I think I'll try the Earl Grey for the Montecristo. I'd like more suggestions for the CAO though. I expect to smoke another cigar or two this month to work up to the CAO American on the Fourth so I hope to be fine with the strength.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    SweetnLow:
    Thanks for all of your prompt responses. I think I'll try the Earl Grey for the Montecristo. I'd like more suggestions for the CAO though. I expect to smoke another cigar or two this month to work up to the CAO American on the Fourth so I hope to be fine with the strength.
    The CAO America isn't full bodied its a pretty straight forward medium body. There is a common misconception that darker cigars are fuller in body. The truth is that most maduros are medium to medium-full, there are some exceptions to this but thats the general rule.
  • Options
    adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    Garen B:
    Never had a Montecristo White, but I usually drink something that can stand up to the cigar flavors, since I'm allergic to alchohol, I'm in the same boat as you are. Anywho, my favorite drinks with cigars are Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, Root Beer, coffee and water. Water is for tasting a cigar for the first time to get all the flavors out of it, but seeing as how your testing the waters a bit, stick with a soda. Some guys here also like Sierra Mist, Sprite and the like.

It's up to you, you also might not want to go with a CAO America, it's a bit on the heavier side, try out an Oliva Serie G or if you want to stay with CAO, try the CAO Gold, both are fine cigars, won't kill your wallet and won't make you sick from being so full bodied.
    I agree -- Dr. Pepper and Coffee are my go-to guys. If its something milder, or something i haven't had before though, maybe a vitamin water? (Plain water never did it for me)
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    adamkhalil:
    Garen B:

I agree -- Dr. Pepper and Coffee are my go-to guys. If its something milder, or something i haven't had before though, maybe a vitamin water? (Plain water never did it for me)
    I've tried it with a vitamin water and it was ok, the green tea is pretty good with milder sticks, but I don't think it quite has the oomph to pair well with anything above mild - medium.
  • Options
    MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    A few weeks ago I had an Indian Tabac Maduro, and it was too bitter for me.
    I went inside and poured myself some whiskey (barely a shot) and it went amazingly well with the cigar! I only drank enough to get my tongue wet after each puff.
    For spicier cigars, I like Coke.
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I normally stick to water when I smoke so I can get all of the flavors out of the cigar. I know you don't want anything alcoholic but a good smoky whiskey like Knob Creek or Bookers goes absolutely great with a cigar. Just a small glass to sip on to help bring out the flavors is all it takes. I posted this in the other thread, but I recently had a CAO America and was extremely let down. It is horribly bland and just very leafy. No flavor changes or even noticeable flavors! I hope I just got a dud because I was really looking forward to that cigar.....
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    I like to drink coffee in the moring with a cigar. Afternoons I may pair it with a cold glass of tea. Evenings I may just drink water if I don't feel like drinking any alcohol.
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    I enjoy an ice cold diet pepsi, not after every puff but inter mingled to clean and cool down the palate. Anyone else?
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I either drink sweet tea or this drink I make that my family calls "happiness"...

all you do is go to walmart, but the knock off GV brank of crystal light... and mix one packet of pink lemonade with one packet or orange early rise...

goes perfect when you want a sweet drink with a cigar!

and when you taste it, you'll see why the kids call it happiness... it really is amazing. lol
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I tend to stick with Bud Lite.

However, as a disclaimer, I'm currently in the works to find a way to replace human blood with beer. Lassie, I'm in need of test subjects...
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I normally go with water, but there's always room for a Diet Coke, a mojito, or margarita.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a general rule I'll have coffee with a morning smoke or everyday sippin' sour mash bourbon with an evening smoke. I gotta tell ya, though, last night we were at our son and daughterinlaw's house for dinner and we broke out a bottle of Pyrat (pronounced like pirate) Rum that I gave him for Christmas, poured a little in a glass, neat, and squeezed a wedge of lime into in and WOW!. That was orgasmic!! Gonna gets me more of that juice!
  • Options
    grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    I will smoke with a Dr. Pepper or some knock off variety, a bourbon mixer sometimes, or water. If I drink beer, I tend to stick with a wheat beer, Coors Light, or if I am feeling really fancy a Coors Original...you know its the Banquet of beers right?
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    granneja:
    I will smoke with a Dr. Pepper or some knock off variety, a bourbon mixer sometimes, or water. If I drink beer, I tend to stick with a wheat beer, Coors Light, or if I am feeling really fancy a Coors Original...you know its the Banquet of beers right?
    I like regular Coors. Coors light, not so much.
  • Options
    if its a smoke im having for the frst time, i usualy stick with water. Coffee is great for morning smokes. My favorite though is jameson and Ginger Ale and i really like how that pairs with what i smoke.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I drink some type of alcohol while I'm having a cigar probably about 95% of the time (yes, I almost always smoke at night, so no wisecracks you bastids! ;-), so I'm not a huge help.

But really try a Dr. Pepper sometimes with a cigar. It amazes me how well it pairs with a cigar.
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I usually enjoy a dark beer. Guinness is my preferred drink of choice for me.
  • Options
    napalmnapalm Posts: 50
    Bulleit bourbon with cream soda. Tasty
  • Options
    dark dark rum....the darker the better!
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Totally depends on the time of day and what I'm doing while smoking. I try not to worry about the pairing too much, though and just grab the smoke I'm in the mood for whatever I feel like drinking. Midday I'm a coffee guy, usually iced, with milk, no sugar, becuase I think it tastes better than hot coffee, and I've always thought sugar kills the taste of coffee.

In the evenings I'll do beer (Coors Orig, Bud heavy, or Tecate mostly, with maybe a heineken here and there) , bourbon (Jim Beam usually) or rum (noob here and just trying some different ones), and sometimes water I guess, but thats always weird to me and kind of pointless.

Just my two cents.