Home Cigar 101

Tubos

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
Got a question.... I picked up some Pvnisher Tubos and I dont know if I should leave them in the tubes or take them out. What do you guys do ? (yeah I will take them out when I smoke them) but what about until then lol

Comments

• VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are shipped in a tube and the Blender/Company put them in for a reason I guess....... BUT.... for me... its random. Some I have taken out some I leave in. I leave Lanceros in amd most large. Robustos I take out.... Just me and my .02
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you plan on long term storage (5+ years) then leave them in there cap on and as sealed up as you can.

age has two components:

1) marrying of oils
    2) Breaking down of oils

for oils to break down there needs to be air exchange. this helps the process. remove the air and things move slower.
    for oils to marry they just need to spend time together. keeping the cap on will enable the oils to marry without them breaking down as much.
    in theory you will have a complex well rounded cigar with all the power that it started with.

...if you wait a few years.

if you plan on short term storage (less than a year) then it doesnt matter. no real age will matter.
    that middle period...
    personal preference.
  • WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    Right now I have a small humidor with 8 punisher cigars with tubes in it + 1boveda pack. I took the cap part off and left the tube part on. I might add other tubo cigars in there so they aren't all punisher cigars...trying some things with aging recently.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    My experience has been tubos-mold. I keep all my humi's at 63-65, even the ISOM. Only time I've ever seen mold was in a tubo or paper wrapped cigars. I pull all cedar sleeves, paper, and tubos now...never had a mold problem. I always double check for it when I buy a tubo or sleeved cigar at B&M's.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    word of caution, if you can see the cigar in the tube than leave it alone. If you can't take it out. I've had mold grow on tubed cigars where there was no way to see the cigar. They were sealed.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

There is a scientific reason why some cigars come inside a tube but now a days many cigars comes in tube mainly for presentation and marketing purpose. The original plan was different and mainly for aging purpose. not all the cigars meant to be inside a tube. Usually, cigars comes with extra oil was intended to be inside the tube for longer maturing purpose. However, my take on this is- it is always a good idea to take it out and let it mature inside a humidor where the cigar can breath openly and the flavors and aroma can mingles with proper and open humidity and the temperature.

I did the experiment with Cuban RyJ and Punch Tubos. I bought six of each then I left three in tube and three inside the humidor. I smoked them each after six months. The cigar outside tubos performed better then inside the tubos. I also bought five years aged Cuban H.Upman tubo and the same cigar five years aged outside the tubo. Both were good but the outside one was more subtle, aromatic, complex with longer finish. I came to the conclusion not to leave cigar inside the tube after that. Again, cigar is a personal choice and someone might like inside the tubo more. I have no problem with that either.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    My experience has been tubos-mold. I keep all my humi's at 63-65, even the ISOM. Only time I've ever seen mold was in a tubo or paper wrapped cigars. I pull all cedar sleeves, paper, and tubos now...never had a mold problem. I always double check for it when I buy a tubo or sleeved cigar at B&M's.
    This is very sound advice. Has been my experience as well. No tubes, cedar sleeves, paper, cloth ect.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CAcigarguy007:
    catfishbluezz:
    This is very sound advice. Has been my experience as well. No tubes, cedar sleeves, paper, cloth ect.
    +1