Home Ratings & Reviews

Rocky Patel R4 Quick Review

Rocky Patel R4 Toro (6x52) Smoked last week after about 2/3 months in the humi. If it was a full review Id put it in the fourto review space.

Upon removing the cello:
The wrapper appeared to be a disaster. Hastilly rolled, separated at spots, cracked and chipped in spots.
The foot of the cigar appeared to be very problematic with the wrapper at the end not clipped properly and had some short spots and long spots (like a ghurka shaggy at some points).
The chips, splits appeared to be from a hastilly rolled and unchecked cigar.
So for the first two inches I had burn issues, tunnelling, canoing etc.
The flavor wasnt bad at this point, but the burn issues were troubling.
I got to one spot on the wrapper that was separated about half way down, and smoked past that then ashed.
After this point the cigar burned and smoked almost perfectly. The flavors were good after this point.
I am hoping that the stick I got just slipped through the RP quality check process and that the majority of these arent like this.
I know CHolmes had one that he had no issues with and loved it.

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I had one from a pass, and wasn't into it. I have had most of the RP and not a fan. I liked the vintage 90 and that's about it.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Yes, I was there to witness this disaster. Hopefully, it HAD to be a quality control issue. I had one about a month ago, after 2 months aging, and it was really a good smoke. Nothing to blow your mind, but it was good. Mine had a flawless wrapper, even burn, and very solid ash. The flavor was pretty mild at first, developing into a medium bodied smoke with a strong pepper flavor that was nice.

Like I said, nothing to write home about, but a good smoke for a better price - I think they were going for around $3.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'd echo holmes on that one...I've had a couple and they performed well. Completely decent cigar in all regards.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    AJ Fernandex Signature Series
    5x48 Robusto around there
    Been in Humi for 3 weeks

LOOK
    Cigars is not the most perfectly wrapped cigar. Wrapper is bunched in places and stretched thin in places. A few lifts in the wrapper where there is a seam and 3 main veins running through most of the stick. The Band really compliments the look of this cigar.
    FEEL
    Feel is ok, no soft spots and it is rather solid around the band area.
    SMELL
    Cigar gives off the tobacoo barnyard smell (Kuzi, Did you coin the barnyard smell phrase? If so it is appropriat with this stick)
    LIGHT
    I light this with a single torch and I actually toast the wrapper a little bit down the stick with a mis hit of the lighter about 1/8 of an inch down.

Ok so I torch this one up and I am overwhealmed with a black pepper flavor! It is all over my palate and mouth. At this point I am hoping that this pepper flavor will subside and will mellow out. The 1st 1/3 of this cigar is almost total pepper. I am thinking at the 1/3 mark that this is a FULL BODIED FULL FLAVORED cigar.

The second third seemed like someone turned off the pepper faucet. The pepper totally died out and a smooth earthy nutty flavor came out. I had a real hard time putting my foot down on any more description of the flavors other than earth and nut.

The last 3rd was really smooth and woody/cedary. A very nice flavor.

This is probably one of the most complex smokes that I have had. This is the opposite of spring time in New England that comes in like a lamb and goes out like a lion! This sucker came in like a lion and came out like a lamb.

I would put this cigar in the medium body with full complex flavor. I would say that the 1st 3rd was Full body and the last third was mild to medium. But the flavor profile could have been affecting that feeling.

I would smoke this cigar again.
    I would buy this cigar again.
    This is an above average cigar for me.
    I would recomend this cigar, but not to newbie newbies.
    I consider myself a newbie, but if I had this one as my 1st couple of sticks I would not have picked another cigar up again for quite some time.
    4/5 = Most complex cigar I can remember smoking.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Four someone on here said they have a steak flavor ...did you get any of that ...
    I think Omami may be the word for the flavor. A sense of fullness or Full flavor. Its a new flavor decriptor added to the palate reference chart. I didnt actually get steak, but definately a good FULL flavor. I will try this one again to see if I can see if that was steak. In the middle 3rd there was a point where I have a flavor in there that I couldnt quite identify.
    I have been corrected it is Umami.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Fourtotheflush:
    I think Omami may be the word for the flavor. A sense of fullness or Full flavor. Its a new flavor decriptor added to the palate reference chart. I didnt actually get steak, but definately a good FULL flavor. I will try this one again to see if I can see if that was steak. In the middle 3rd there was a point where I have a flavor in there that I couldnt quite identify.

Cool