Home Cigar 101

don't turn your canoe upside down

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
So here I am, wandering the innernet for lack of anything better to do. Heavy rain outside. Roads closed. Office closed. Hurricane Sandy in full swing outside. I'm puffing away on a Perdomo Lot 23 because that's the best stick I have found for a super damp day. I bump into a site I won't mention, where there's a jillion sensible and informative FAQs for beginner cigar smokers. One of these floored me. Question was: What do you do to cure a cigar that starts to canoe? The author advised: Lay it down with the unburnt edge down, and the burning edge up! That was entirely backwards from what I have been doing. I figured if I lay the fast burning edge down, then the heat would rise up and burn the slow burning edge. The author's reasoning was that the smoke rising from the canoe would throttle the burn on the fast edge, allowing the slow side to catch up.

What say you sapient cigar dot com afficionados? Make sense?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Hahaha I torch the side that's not burning well...but this is pretty interesting I guess our answer is what I would expect
    Money can't buy taste
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Someone here once told me that exact same thing....... keep the slow burning side down..... it will get more oxygen than the top side. Never really worked for me I just touch it up.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I've read the slow side down concept before too. I just touch-up the slow side with my lighter when it gets beyond what I find tolerable.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I've read the same thing but can't really tell a difference either way.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the side that is burning faster should be on top.
    the oxygen is displaced by smoke. you need the oxygen to burn.

of course i found that this way of "fixing" the problem seldom works. this is only a good fix if the problem operator error not if it is a construction issue. if it is a construction issue no amount of angling or turning the cigar will help. the only way to fix it in that instance is to force it into submission with a lighter.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with all the above comments ^^^^

Since my canoeing is usually a result of operator error (as in set the cigar down & do something else forgetting to puff for 10+ minutes, smoke outside when it's very windy, not have a good light to start with, etc) I usually just touch it up with a torch to quickly resolve the problem.
    But whenever I've tried to keep the slower burning side on the bottom, that only seems to make the problem worse ...

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *