Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Cigar Pairings with Scotch and Red Wine

In your humble opinion, what is the best way to pair a medium to full cigar with a spirit? I have found that Red Wine is easier than Scotch (unless its an Islay Scotch which can be difficult due to peat concentration and smokiness). Lastly, Cognac is pretty dam good and close to a Scotch when it comes to the production and aging process. Visti PuroMaduro.com or the PuroMaduroChannel on youtube. I have also found that beer is too acidic and white wine is too thin.

Comments

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I have to disagree with you. Red wine is generally too tannic and tends to dry out the pallet and distract from the cigar. Sweet reds and Port occasionally do well. Whites tend to be to mild and acidic but sweet whites can pair with milder cigars.

If you want to go beer, I tend to gravitate towards darker beers anyway but the only beers that really don't pair for me are pales and IPAs. The bitterness from the hops takes over just like the tannins in red wine and I end up losing the cigar. Stouts and Porters (especially barrel aged) go well with a maduro or a spicier, full-bodied cigar.

When I go Scotch, Islay is too overpowering and completely dominates the pallet. I go Speyside, Highland, even Lowland. They tend to offer fruitier, softer and even floral notes that I find can compliment a range of cigars. Outside Scotland, some Irish Whisky will pair well, as will American Whiskey (Bourbon or Rye).

Cognac can work well, as can many Brandies. VS and VSOP varieties tend to be more fruit forward and young, where XOs are heavier, oakier and slightly more refined. Look for some of my other posts regarding Cognac recommendations and lessons on the spirit.

If you haven't explored Rum yet, it's time you do. Rum is such a natural pair with cigars due to the fact that they're both made in the same regions. Look for good aged rums: Ron Zacapa, Zaya, Plantation 20th, El Dorado 12 or 15. Stay away from mixing rums if you're planning on sipping.

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions on any alcohol related info or pairings. Cheers!

-Rob
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I like Port wine with cigars. I also drink a lot of scotch, but the islays are a bit too powerful. Cognac, Bourbon and Rum also work well.

Whatever you do don't try to pair a cigar with a dirty martini. The olive will totally ruin your palate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I paired Scotch (The Balvenie) with a Flor de los Antillas. Excellent time had by all.
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If u want to go with wine try a Shiraz or a chardonnay they r less acidy, If u r looking for a IPA not to strong magic hat makes a good 1.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Boddingtons,oban and red *** 12yr my personal favorite line up but will drink what ever if it's not a fruity drink lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I like red wine as a cigar pairing. I haven't found any stellar match-ups but in general I think beer and scotch are too powerful for all but ligero bombs. The fruitiness and complexity of red wine works very well with many cigars. Right now I'm smoking a Party Short and drinking a petit shiraz and it's great.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    This is a good thread to see that there is just as much individuality in the drink we have with our sticks as the sticks themselves. Personally, I like bourbon and whiskey straight with my cigar. Some of the flavored bourbons/whiskeys are really good too. I like Birddog and Redstag chilled with my cigars!
  • Options
    I am new to the flavored drinks but I will check them out. You are right there is a lot of variation.
  • Options
    Its amazing to get such varied feedback. Red Wine to me is perfect for cigars. Preferably, darker robust reds (Malbec, Cab, Merlot, etc). Yes, Islay can be tricky but it can be done see these two reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSHRBrM1gJQ&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJjkDuLG0Rk&feature=plcp
  • Options
    Cognac is great with a cigar. I have tried Remy Martin 1738 and Courvoisier
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glock1975:
    If u want to go with wine try a Shiraz or a chardonnay they r less acidy, If u r looking for a IPA not to strong magic hat makes a good 1.
    I think you and I have similar tastes, Glock.

I'm not much of a wine guy but from what I've discovered, as I continue to refine my still noobish palate, is that I do not enjoy many dark reds with cigars. I've only found 2 dark reds (Cabs) & cigar combos that I really enjoyed. All of the other combos, one element was too overpowering - either the wine was too much for the cigar, or if I tried to find a fuller body cigar I'd overdo it and the cigar would overtake the wine.
    I've enjoyed trying various "pairings" but I've had more "misses" than "hits."

I've found that Shiraz (or Syrahs) are much more "versatile" and I've had more success pairing them with a wider range of cigars - I've enjoyed Shirazes with a variety of cigars - anything from the CCOM American Label to a JDN Antano.
    And I rarely drink whites, unless it's summer time - but whenever I'm drinking a white I always seem to reach for a mild, Conni-wrapped cigar.

(Most) IPAs will go great with a range of cigars, as long as you like "hoppy beers." Get too bitter though, or into double (Imperial) IPAs territory and you have to stick with a fuller body cigar or else the bitterness will overpower the cigar's flavors, IMHO.
    Which Magic Hat IPA do you go for - Hi.P.A? Encore?

I've been getting into Imperial Reds the past couple month, like them with medium-full body cigars.
    Had a coffee stout a couple months ago and I'm currently working my way through some milk stout - still trying to figure out what cigar goes best with these kinds of beers.

And for hard liquor, I usually don't get too into it - but if I do I'll usually go for the Apple Pie moonshine when the weather's cooler or a Cuban Mojito when the weather's warmer. The slight sweetness of both these drinks seems to go well with a wide range of smokes.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    BillieBLVD:
    Its amazing to get such varied feedback. Red Wine to me is perfect for cigars. Preferably, darker robust reds (Malbec, Cab, Merlot, etc). Yes, Islay can be tricky but it can be done see these two reviews. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSHRBrM1gJQ&feature=plcp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJjkDuLG0Rk&feature=plcp
    Six posts and in half of them you are linking youtube or saying to go to this puromaduro channel. Another one you are asking for BHK, PSP2 and a Padron Fox.

Introduce yourself and learn the site. Make some friends. Do some trades if you want. Treat it like you would a cigar shop in person. Introduce yourself, listen more than you talk at first, get to know people.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Marker:
    BillieBLVD:
    Its amazing to get such varied feedback. Red Wine to me is perfect for cigars. Preferably, darker robust reds (Malbec, Cab, Merlot, etc). Yes, Islay can be tricky but it can be done see these two reviews. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSHRBrM1gJQ&feature=plcp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJjkDuLG0Rk&feature=plcp
    Six posts and in half of them you are linking youtube or saying to go to this puromaduro channel. Another one you are asking for BHK, PSP2 and a Padron Fox.

Introduce yourself and learn the site. Make some friends. Do some trades if you want. Treat it like you would a cigar shop in person. Introduce yourself, listen more than you talk at first, get to know people.
    +1
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Marker:
    BillieBLVD:

An intro would be great. Also, go ahead and be up front about being the person in the reviews or owning the puromaduro site. Several members here host cigar review websites and do reviews. We greatly appreciate their contributions to the cigar world. But simply pimping your site without actually trying to be a part of our site won't get you many followers here. There is a great group of guys here and I would hate to see you alienate them because of a simple breach of etiquette. BTW, welcome to the forum!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    SleevePlz:
    Marker:
    BillieBLVD:

An intro would be great. Also, go ahead and be up front about being the person in the reviews or owning the puromaduro site. Several members here host cigar review websites and do reviews. We greatly appreciate their contributions to the cigar world. But simply pimping your site without actually trying to be a part of our site won't get you many followers here. There is a great group of guys here and I would hate to see you alienate them because of a simple breach of etiquette. BTW, welcome to the forum!
    Are you the guy in the videos? +1 What they said!.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Personally, I do not enjoy wine and cigar pairings nearly as much as I prefer good Bourbon or Highland Scotch, but that's just my preference. If I'm going to pair a cigar with a wine, it will nearly almost always be either a Pino Noir or a Malbec with a mild-med cigar like the Tat El Triunfador, and let the wine take over.

A very nice pairing I've recently discovered was a Pinolero toro with an Elijah Craig 12 year bourbon. Those two really complimented each other well.
  • Options
    Being upfront? Its the same friggin name and I say my name in the video, on the channel, and on the this blog as well. Where is the deception when my name is clearly connected.
  • Options
    I saw this as a place to share views and insight. I like pairings. I create videos to share those pairings and learn from others. I've actually learned a lot from this series of post about how diverse people are. Very insightful. BTW, my site has no advertising, my youtube channel will never make a dime. I do this for the love of the leaf. I am trying to simply be a part of the conversation and share same as everyone else. I can understand scrutiny but dam, all I did was share a link and my name is consistent with my email, youtube channel, website, facebook, and twitter. I am not acting like a stranger referrring people to monetize the traffic. Nonetheless, I understand your concern. Happy holidays, and lighten up.
  • Options
    You mentioned Another one you are asking for BHK, PSP2 and a Padron Fox."

The subject line asked about 3 cigars I would like to try. I would like to try those 3 cigars. What's the issue with that. Please elaborate.

I have heard that those cigars are wonderful.

• Options
    The issue WAS NEVER that you have a review channel, or share your love of cigars. We do that here too.

The issue is no introduction but you ask for 3 very expensive cigars before anyone knows you. We try to be a family. A very large, sometimes dysfuncitonal, family. Family takes care of themselves. When you joined the site were you wanting to join the family or just share your thoughts on cigars?

If you just want to share your thoughts on cigars why ask for some? If you want to join and meet good people, share cigars and friendship, you missed the introduction and virtual handshake. Just a small detail that differentiates the herf brother(sister) to the magazine sitting on the table.
  • Options
    Marker:
    The issue WAS NEVER that you have a review channel, or share your love of cigars. We do that here too.

The issue is no introduction but you ask for 3 very expensive cigars before anyone knows you. We try to be a family. A very large, sometimes dysfuncitonal, family. Family takes care of themselves. When you joined the site were you wanting to join the family or just share your thoughts on cigars?

If you just want to share your thoughts on cigars why ask for some? If you want to join and meet good people, share cigars and friendship, you missed the introduction and virtual handshake. Just a small detail that differentiates the herf brother(sister) to the magazine sitting on the table.
    He never asked for 3 very expensive cigars. He simply said those are 3 that he'd like to try. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a new board member going to a thread that asks "what 3 cigars do you want to try?" and answering with 3 cigars he wants to try. If he posted those cigars in the trade forum and was mooching, that's one thing. But if he goes into the Ratings/Reviews forum and posts his top 3, then how could you possibly interpret that as an attempt to get free cigars? Did you post your top 3 in that thread and secretly hope people would mail those cigars to you?
  • Options
    Unthought_Known:
    Marker:

He never asked for 3 very expensive cigars. He simply said those are 3 that he'd like to try. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a new board member going to a thread that asks "what 3 cigars do you want to try?" and answering with 3 cigars he wants to try. If he posted those cigars in the trade forum and was mooching, that's one thing. But if he goes into the Ratings/Reviews forum and posts his top 3, then how could you possibly interpret that as an attempt to get free cigars? Did you post your top 3 in that thread and secretly hope people would mail those cigars to you?
    Look at the thread. It is basically a compressed MakeAWish. How it was started or the perceived intent doesn't matter. It has turned into a MAW where you just leave the request out there.

I have posted in that thread hoping to find someone with the cigars I have wished for. Then I work out a trade or acceptable arraingement to get them. I have also sent quite a few top 3 requests out without asking anything in return. People have been using this thread for that exact purpose for years.
  • Options
    Sorry, but I still see absolutely nothing wrong with his post. He's new to the board, he sees a thread with that subject, then he posts his top 3 list. It's silly to think he'd read through 77 pages before posting. Heck, I've been on the board for almost 3 years and I wouldn't have thought it was a mooching thread. IMO, the intent does matter. You criticized him for asking for 3 very expensive cigars when the reality is that he never did ask for 3 cigars. If his post was out of line (which I don't think it was), then it was an honest mistake and doesn't need to be criticized.

As for the topic at hand, I like scotch but I haven't paired it with cigars yet. I typically drink scotch at home, but I smoke either at a local park or at the local cigar bar (and I don't like to buy scotch at bar prices). I do look forward to having a new house next year when I can relax on the back deck with a glass of Highland Park and a nice Padron.