Home Ratings & Reviews

Alec Bradley Select Cabinet Reserve

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you intend to smoke the Alec Bradley Select Cabinet Reserve you will need to have a toothpick handy... because when you get to last bit you are going to be reluctant to put the nub away.

It's a damn fine thing I like spam. Cause another site which I will not mention sent me a spam advertising this fine cigar at a dynamite clearance price. Sixty five for any box of ABs is too good to miss. This is the first time I have bought a box without even trying the particular cigar. Good thing I did.

Just take a gander here. Is this thing gorgeous or what? Look at the sheen on that skin. Has that well aged character. Sure enough, when I googled it up, seemed they have been discontinued for some years. So it has been sitting there in that satin black AB box maturing since probably 2009.

Unlit, this stick smells like a dairy barn. You can smell how everything has mellowed together. Even the RedHead approved. A bit too fat for me, because this was the gran robusto, being 5 1/2" x 60 ring -- I bought that because the regular robusto 50 gauge was sold out. Felt light weight for such a big thing. Not soft, but far from hard.

Uncapped easily. Drew perfectly free, tasting of molasses, cedar, and earth. Every flavor all mellowed into the next. Like dark red gravy on prime rib with merlot... every flavor melts into the next.

One match toasted the foot, and the next match lit it. Right away, gave off a ton of volume. Smooth toasty light allspice, cedar, and earth. Once you get going, set it down for two minutes. Your next hit is flat out mellow. If it was song, you'd call it mellifluous. The Johnny Mathes cigar. Mellow flavor, ambrosial aroma, celestial smoke. A clean sweet finish. Now here's the best: The retro is positively attar of tobacco. Burn is slow and perfect. Entrancing billows of smoke round your head. Somewhere about the middle, I got a floral note.

Lasted almost two hours. Aromatic stinkfinger, mild morning mouth, and no wheeze whatever.

I wish I were better at describing this thing, but I was too lost in it to analyze. I have plenty more, and they are way too good to keep all to myself, so shoot me a PM if you want to try one.

Four and a half stars. If it wasn't so fat, it would score five. Sixty gauge is too much huffing for me.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Nice ulu
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Hmm, I had one of these a very long time ago - corona I think - and all i remember was leather and black pepper with a very 'dry' overall flavor. It wasn't a bad stick, just not exactly in my wheel-house. May have to revisit this one...
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    They seem to be fairly well priced nowadays by the box so if you like them its a great time to stock up. Wondered about the corona sizes but haven't tried them. I haven't been much of an AB fan. Great construction and presentation is top notch, its just not my flavor profile what I have tried.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    Nice ulu
    Yep, I got that to try rolling my own. Now, it makes a good photo prop to tilt the stick up and help with scale.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blurr:
    They seem to be fairly well priced nowadays by the box so if you like them its a great time to stock up. Wondered about the corona sizes but haven't tried them. I haven't been much of an AB fan. Great construction and presentation is top notch, its just not my flavor profile what I have tried.
    Only Prensado I tried did not burn at all well. Other than that, I've liked all his stuff. Especia;;y Black Markey and Family Blend.