Home General Discussion

Pick Joe's Smoke

dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
OK.. I don't smoke that often, and am getting back into it after a 10-year (or so) layoff (aside from a few a year in between). I've acquired a few samplers of cigars to get started, just to see what I like. As experts, I'd love it if you all can help me find something I will enjoy. Let me kick it off by listing everything I've smoked since Father's Day, and how I felt about it.

1. Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real Toro
I didn't really care for this. The flavor was essentially of second-hand smoke. I wanted to smoke this cigar for myself, not taste the product of somebody nearby. It had a very mild body, but burned well with very little maintenance. I enjoyed it with some nice rum, but by itself it did nothing for me.

2. Montecristo Classic Toro
I pulled this out because I remember the Montecristo being an excellent smoke. I immediately remembered why I thought it was so great -- a perfect, tight white ash (I said ASH). No maintenance on the burn, and easy to take all the way through. I also remembered why I was reluctant to fork out the $8-10 for one. The taste just isn't there. Thanks for the papery flavor and notes of sucking on my dirty belt, but I'm not inspired here. Fine for a casual smoke, but not a value.

3. Royal Jamaica Gold Toro
This cigar was part of a sampler my wife bought me for Father's Day. I know nothing about the cigar, and couldn't find much about it on the web except that it's cheap. I pulled it out this weekend to smoke at a neighborhood party we were hosting, figuring it'd be a fine way to have something in my mouth but not be consumed by dissecting its quality/flavor. I was very surprised to find that this smoke had a smooth, creamy texture and flavor. The burn required quite a bit of maintenance (a little finger-licking, some torching to remove the canoeing, etc). The roll quality obviously was sub-par. But the tobacco tasted great. There was no body to this, but it turned out to be a perfect choice to complement a long day of drinking and socialization. I was pleasantly surprised by this.

4. Camacho 1962 Robusto
This is the whole reason I'm writing all this tonight. I just came inside after smoking this cigar. I selected it because I needed a short smoke to at least preserve my outside chance of scoring some nookie from the Mrs. later. Also, I wasn't particularly excited about this cigar, and wanted to make way for some of the better stuff in my box. The scent of this cigar was full of flavor as I pulled it out of the cellophane. I can discern tastes at about the depth of 3 levels mentioned in another recent thread, so I was stunned to immediately identify the taste of chocolate on the first draw.
Early into this experience, I already found myself regretting I had only 5 inches of tobacco in front of me. I loved the flavor of this cigar so much I found myself preferring to suffocate rather than expel the smoke from my mouth. I compromised and let it go in a chain of very small breaths extended so long as to deprive my brain of much needed oxygen. By the time I had burnt my fingertips down to bloody, exposed bone, I knew I had to let go of this cigar, but I just couldn't bear to part with it. I contemplated dumping the remaining scraps into a dish, lighting them on fire, and draping a towel over my head like I was trying to relieve a massive sinus infection. Instead, I resigned myself to coming in here, sitting down, and writing this in hopes that somebody has had this cigar, and can recommend another like it for me to try. This wasn't particularly full-bodied, but with as much time as I spent holding this smoke, I wonder if something fuller would have me on the floor or in the hospital.

So there you have it. My personal reviews have a scoring system, but I won't bore you with the details. If you feel so inclined, recommend something I may like based on what I've said so far. And golly, if you haven't tried that Camacho, and are into a milder smoke, give it a go and let me know what you think.

Duty

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I can tell you're going to be interesting to have around, Duty. I haven't had the Camacho, but if a chocolaty flavor did it for you, you might try the Graycliff Legend.

On the R&J Reserva, I enjoyed heck out of the first one I had; the second one, not so much. I'll have another in a couple weeks and see which direction it leans.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    On the topic of Camacho, I've not tried the 1962, but would recommend the Triple Maduro if you happen across it. I thought this was a very nice smoke, it had a creamy quality to it and was very robust and full of flavor, though I would not call it particularly full-bodied. There is some debate as to whether it is worth the asking price, some say no and that is is not a very good cigar, I say yes, but qualify it with "as an occasional smoke". Worth trying in my opinion.

All this talk about the Graycliff Legend, well actually the whole Legend line, really has me wanting to try it out... I look at the page for it and feel my will begin to crumble, especially when I see the entire Legends line sampler packed in a Legends humidor. *drools*

Joe #1 :)
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Duty.. I think your description of the flavor profiles are pretty acurate on all these cigars except for the Moneicristo since I have never tasted a dirty belt ( I can only imagine). I guess that would explain when people say a cigar has a leather taste.I knew before I even read the reviews that the Camacho would be the winner. I have tried several and intend to enjoy many more once I have aged them a little to compare. Thanks for the nice reviews..
    Duty try the Gran Habano Siglos 3....This is a newer line I just discovered thanks to the great reviewers here , and this one knocked me over with how good it was..A must try in my opinion..The tobacco blend would confuse even Kuzi ( LOL) and he is the Master. Seriously try that one I believe it will please.
    Hey Joe (joz3r) that Legend line is pretty good I smoked my way through it a couple times and had my favorites some extra time and there is only one I did not like .. But won't dis' it here... The rest good to great..If you get the sampler they give you eight different lines but you will miss some.. there are 11 now so pick up the missing ones too.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i gave that camacho a 91
    chocolatey eh? for about half the price of the camacho have you tried the victor sinclair series 55 maduro? i found it to have a very chocolate cream taste. It isnt quite on the same level as the camacho (the 55 had issues with the burn and it wasnt as complex) but for the price it isnt a bad smoke. ... i mean i nubed it.

if you want the coffee side of chocolate try the onyx reserve. I should smoke more of those.
    j0z3r:
    All this talk about the Graycliff Legend, well actually the whole Legend line, really has me wanting to try it out... I look at the page for it and feel my will begin to crumble, especially when I see the entire Legends line sampler packed in a Legends humidor. *drools*

I'll send you a couple of the Graycliffs, Joe.
    the only graycliff i have ever had was a Professionale PGX. I wasnt that impressed. i think i was over hyped for it. ill try and care less next time i smoke one.
    urbino:
    j0z3r:

I'll send you a couple of the Graycliffs, Joe.
    Awesome! You rock man, thanks.
    Check your inbox for the tracking info.
    Sweet, thanks. Can't wait to get it now.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭

kuzi16:
    if you want the coffee side of chocolate try the onyx reserve. I should smoke more of those.

Kuz, I smoke the onyx reserve very regularly and I am a huge fan of it.  I was just wondering if you had any other cigars that are similar that I might enjoy...  My next smoke is going to be a CAO Mx2 this weekend on the golf course.  I would be thankful for any help! Thanks.

PuroFreak:

kuzi16:

Kuz, I smoke the onyx reserve very regularly and I am a huge fan of it.  I was just wondering if you had any other cigars that are similar that I might enjoy...  My next smoke is going to be a CAO Mx2 this weekend on the golf course.  I would be thankful for any help! Thanks.

Bolivar puts out a decent chocolate/coffee cigar.
    and as far as price goes the cusano P1 is hard to beat.
    Not to jump in , but CAO MX2 is really nice. Had one recently and it had me planning on a return trip to my local cigar shop ( sorry guys can't call it a B&M ) I enjoyed the CX2 as well. same concept different wrapper(s).

I can't wait to try to Mx2! I don't know if I'm more excited about the cigar or getting to play golf! Throw in a nice glass of Crown and life will be PERFECT!!! haha

im not a golf fan but the cigar i reccomend for golfers is the Cusano 18. either kind. i have never once had a burn issue with either the connecticut or the maduro. the last thing you wanna think of while golfing is "wheres my lighter, my cigar wont burn right"
    I fond that the Mx2 burned a bit uneven, but it coulda just been me or that cigar.
    Hey puro, sounds like the perfect way to enjoy the day, you'll need a few back up cigars, it takes me about six hours to finish a round of golf ( four hour on the course and two more in the rough and woods.. not to mention a few more in the clubhouse..and MX2 is only good for an hour.
    I tried the Cusano 18 and wasn't very happy with it.  Wasn't strong enough for my taste.  Well, just from what I remember.  That was some time ago and I might have been a bit drunk to really get a feel for the smoke. haha  One of my favorite cigars is the Edge by rocky Patel.  Also like the CAO Brazillia and also enjoyed the CAO Criollo.
    if you like the brazilia try the italia. its under rated. i think its better than the brazilia.
    Hey Kuzi have you tried the America yet, with the barber pole wrapper, I don't know i didn't really care for it very much. At least not to try it again.. to many new thing I need to get to first..
    not yet. I keep looking at it in the shop and i keep telling myself that ill pick one up. still have not. one of these days ill get a few.
    Kuzi, what size in the Italia line do you prefer? I know this is more personal taste than anything, but I've been looking to try one and if i don't have a certain size to start with, I'll end up doing something foolish and buying one of each size or something.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    OK... I've got a new one to add to the list. This evening I smoked a Rocky Patel Connecticut Robusto

I've been looking to dump this one early. The reviews have been luke-warm at best, and I didn't think it would flourish much with age. I wanted a mild, relatively short smoke, and that is certainly what I got. There wasn't much in the way of a discernable flavor for the most part, but there was something I'm too inexperienced to identify. The burn was almost perfect, although perhaps a bit quick and loose. I hung onto the smoke to try to capture some flavor, but little was to be found.

Interestingly, the cigar put itself out about 3/4 of the way in, as if to say, "Mr. Duty, your time with me is now finished." I had literally just drawn on it not more than 5 seconds earlier. Not to be deterred, I plugged another quarter in the machine and rode that baby out to the end. This came to be a decision I would regret, as the rest of the burn turned unpleasantly fiery. The flavor was still almost non-existent, although I could detect a touch of spice I'm not even going to attempt to categorize. This light peppery finish was its saving grace, as it piqued my curiousity and motivated me to see what else I could find. Sadly, there was nothing.

For the price, I would probably pick up some of these to share with non-smoker friends who are looking for something quick and mild to say we'd smoked a cigar. I wouldn't feel bad about about not burning it to the nub, and would savor the fact that an hour later my mouth wouldn't have that lingering chalky cigar-residue taste. Still, this is nowhere near flavorful enough for me as a solo evening smoke.

I want a nice mild cigar to keep around for a casual smoke, afternoon smoke, or something to share with friends. This is the best I've found so far, but it is nowhere near what I was hoping to find. Super-mild stuff isn't really my favorite anyway.
    Yeah, same here . I had one last week and it was the first cigar I quit way before the halfway point in a looooong time. I got nothing out of this one.. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy Rocky Patel cigars especially the Vintage line. As I said before, Great Rocky smokes 99, and that bad one...No more Connecticuts for me..And I could not recommend them either. But, the Vintage line, Sungrown, Fusion, Edge, all great In my opinion..Nice review by the way.
    Hmm, that's kind of a bummer. I was looking forward to trying the RP Connecticut, the one I have has a very nice fragrance, but perhaps that's the only thing nice about it. Oh well, they can't all be good.... especially with Rocky since he has about a bazillion lines.
    I am in no way deterred from the line just that one label, personal taste I guess There must be thousands of people who would disagree with my opinion and that I must respect..
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Nice, I leave for a week and bombing started on the ccom board. The MX2 is my favorite everyday smoke, its wonderful with a glass of bourbon and a nice bourbon barrel aged beer. :)
    We were in Breckenridge for the 4th of July, and I didn't bring any cigars with me on the trip... I wasn't specifically planning on smoking anything out there, but figured we could always run to the local B&M if we wanted to.

Despite the fact that it has been 10+ years since we graduated, and most of us have 2+ children, some of the reunion participants decided it would be a good idea to smoke something a little more "collegiate." The rest of us decided to go out and grab cigars. Surprisingly, there are virtually no cigars to be found in Breckenridge. We were directed to a liquor store which had a (very) limited supply of about 5-6 brands of cigar (a couple Macanudos, a Romeo y Julieta, an H Upmann... La Aurora, and something else). Not exactly what I was hoping for, but it would do as a casual social smoke with some non-smokers.

I smoked an H Upmann in a size called "After Dinner" -- somewhere around 5.5-6 inches in a high-40's ring. Anyway, I noticed three subtle personalities to this cigar as it burned down. It started out extremely mild, and very smooth. The middle section became harsh and papery, and I thought I'd run into a total dud. I was surprised to see this cigar change personalities toward the end. While it never ran anything but a mild body, the flavor picked up quite a bit and became quite enjoyable.

Would I buy this again? Probably not ... Would I smoke it again? Absolutely -- especially if the selection were as limited as I ran into in Colorado. The burn was very good from beginning to end. It was a bit mild for me, and the flavor was a little light. But as a mild cigar in a social setting it worked out pretty well.

I know I've been smoking some lousy cigars of late. As I turn over my current inventory I'll look to get some better stuff based on everyone's recommendations and what I've learned about my tastes. I'll burn half of my inventory over the next couple weeks, and should develop a clearer picture about what it is that I like.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    H.Upmann's are underrated little cigars. I tend to enjoy one from time to time.
    dutyje:
    I know I've been smoking some lousy cigars of late. As I turn over my current inventory I'll look to get some better stuff based on everyone's recommendations and what I've learned about my tastes. I'll burn half of my inventory over the next couple weeks, and should develop a clearer picture about what it is that I like.
    You'll burn half your inventory in a couple weeks! You either need to buy more or you smoke a lot, LOL. I'm just teasing man. Whats left in that inventory their could be some trades out there is you are interested.
    madurofan:
    H.Upmann's are underrated little cigars. I tend to enjoy one from time to time.
    dutyje:
    You'll burn half your inventory in a couple weeks! You either need to buy more or you smoke a lot, LOL. I'm just teasing man. Whats left in that inventory their could be some trades out there is you are interested.
    Nah, I just need to buy more :)

The inventory has mostly stuff I've never smoked before... I'd rather try it myself before trading it away. The only repeats are another H Upmann that I bought for somebody who didn't smoke it, a 5 Vegas Classic which I'd rather just smoke myself, and a couple Onyx Reserve that I'm keeping on hand for when my Father-in-Law visits in the fall. My box only fits about 15-20 cigars, so to smoke through half in 2 weeks (really the next 10 days) is really nothing. Although I normally will only have 1 or 2 a week, my wife is headed out of town and I plan to smoke at least one a day while she's gone.