Home Non Cigar Related

National Do Not Call Registry

JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
Got this reminder at work this morning, and thought I'd pass it along.

Attention: Cell Phone Numbers Go Public this month.

REMINDER..... all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.

.... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222. It is the National DO NOT CALL list It will only take a minute of your time.. It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON. It takes about 20 seconds.

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put my cell on that list some time ago. Does not seem to work. Am already getting calls from boiler rooms.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Man, this is awesome. Thanks bro.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Put my cell on that list some time ago. Does not seem to work. Am already getting calls from boiler rooms.

Agreed. Tried this before. You know how many free trips, free magazines and free home security systems I've "won" this year?

Good looking out though. I do appreciate that.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    This is not correct. These emails have been floating around for a long time. While you can register your number with the Do Not Call registry, for the most part, cell phone numbers are protected from everything but manual dialing... which you can't ever truly opt out of without getting rid of your phone.

Source Snopes and Urban legends about.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    The Do Not Call registry is useless. I've entered all of my home and cell numbers repeatedly into it over the years, and I still get at least 5-10 robomarketing calls each week, most of whom neither show their real numbers or use bogusly generated return numbers that don't answer when you call them back. If I were in charge, I'd have Congress pass a law that requires all telemarketing to come from an actual real phone number that must show up in caller ID the the receiver can call back. I'd also make it easier for consumers to report telemarketing fraud and increase penalties for violation of the DNC rules to $100,000 per call. I'd also require landline and cell phone operators to incorporate technology that allows people to totally block all telemarketing calls, whether originated in the U.S. are overseas, including those from charities and political pollsters.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    jthanatos:
    This is not correct. These emails have been floating around for a long time. While you can register your number with the Do Not Call registry, for the most part, cell phone numbers are protected from everything but manual dialing... which you can't ever truly opt out of without getting rid of your phone.

Well, I've always suspected that I work for slope headed morons (the e-mail came from the Director of my Dept.) I guess this confirms it.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    jthanatos:

Well, I've always suspected that I work for slope headed morons (the e-mail came from the Director of my Dept.) I guess this confirms it.
    At least you are almost done, right?
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:

At least you are almost done, right?
    Just over 10 weeks to go........A little mild insubordination never hurt anyone.