Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Black Pearl Original robusto

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Went through a number of Black Pearls with uneven results before I finally realized there are all sorts of these. The Black Pearl web site lists Cobre, Rojo, Morado, Gran D, Cameroon, Classic Maduro, Classic; whereas cigar.com lists Original instead of Classic. It's not clear from the label which one you are smoking. For instance, this last one has a black ring round the face on the band with red wings on the band. Near as I can tell, it's the Black Pearl Original, which I take to be the Classic. I think this kind of confusion might be why the few reviews of this cigar I can hunt up yield such different results. So much so that I cannot recognise this cigar in any of them.

The wrapper is veiny, dark, and dry. The cigar itself feels light and dry. But it is firm. I get a barn odor at the foot. It tastes a bit of oak. I love the band. It uncaps easily. I got a medium draw. The draw had a very distant oakiness to it.

This sparked up with a single match toasting the foot. The first flavor was mild oak. The smoke was thin. There was plenty of volume, but what I got, I could see right through. There was a clan coffee finish to it. By clean, I mean that I tasted coffee, but that flavor didn't linger. I couldn't figure out the retro until I read at c.com something about charcoal flavor. It's the retro I found to be charcoal. It burnt very nicely. It's a good indoors smoke, very polite, not thick enough to stuff up the room, and with neat ash. The second half turned more earthy and less charcoal. Then at the nub, it turned all to oak. I went all the way to a one inch hot nub, and it was still burning nice and tasty. It left an oak aroma in the room. A mere hour and a quarter.

Had a charcoal stink finger afterwards. In the morning, I had an oak morning mouth which went well with diner coffee. I had a damp wheeze.

This is a reasonably priced cigar. I place no weight on price. I rated it three stars just because the flavor was in no way rich. Other than that, the flavor, burn, and construction are fine. Enough to make me try a different Black Pearl.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I had 10 of these when I first got interested in cigars. I enjoyed them a lot as a beginner and I'm sure I would enjoy them just as much now and in the future. All of them seemed to burn near flawlessly and tasted good at a great price. I believe this is the LPH Black Pearl (Brazilian arapirica wrapper) and not the LPH Original(not a maduro). It is quite confusing the way some of the bands say black pearl and some say La Perla Habana. Thanks for the review.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    The Morado (purple) is the one that has gotten the most attention. I think it rated 92??? I've smoke several boxes and still like one every once in a while.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Thats weird as Ive been smoking these quite a while and Ive never seen a "black pearl black pearl", with any red in the label.. The way I remember it is this,, Black pearl,, blueish grey label, Morado purple, Rojo dark red, Cobre gold, Classic white lettering and red but not as much as the rojo plus can identify by cigar wrapper. There is also the classic maduro which is a spinoff the classic but not a "black pear black pearll" They also have a la perla cameroon, both the cameroon and the classic maduro should have a secondary band.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I would say thats a rojo band!
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    The Kid:
    Thats weird as Ive been smoking these quite a while and Ive never seen a "black pearl black pearl", with any red in the label.. The way I remember it is this,, Black pearl,, blueish grey label, Morado purple, Rojo dark red, Cobre gold, Classic white lettering and red but not as much as the rojo plus can identify by cigar wrapper. There is also the classic maduro which is a spinoff the classic but not a "black pear black pearll" They also have a la perla cameroon, both the cameroon and the classic maduro should have a secondary band.
    Nice I'm going to use this list.

• Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    + 1
  • Options
    smoke em if you got em:
    The Kid:
    + 1
    Nope. Their web site shows the rojo with a red circle round the logo.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    The picture of the rojo on this website shows the same black band with a red back. Maybe they've changed it recently?
  • Options
    Pish. Why can't they just write it on there. What's the big prob with that.

• Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The color of the band is the individual blend. If it has red on the sides it is the "rojo" a habano wrapper and my favorite of the lot. Green is the classic or original, purple is the morado a cameroon wrapper and noteworthy, I believe the black label is the "Black Pearl", the copper colored label is the cobre, a mild conneticut wrapper
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    webmost:
    Pish. Why can't they just write it on there. What's the big prob with that.

x2
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    That is a Rojo. 100% sure.

Try the Morado (cameroon wrapper, purple band) it is awesome. Best cheap cameroon on the market imho.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Morado is my favorite.. The one that made me try the rest of the line. The others, while very good, didn't quite match up to purple.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I think the bands must have changed at some point. If you look at the photos Ccom uses even the Cobre is sporting a black band. The way I understand it now is that the Cameroon actually says Cameroon on it. The Classic and Classic Maduro say La Perla Habana. All the rest say Black Pearl. The LPH Black Pearl has a very dark blue/black band, the Cobre a very light purple band, the Rojo a red band and the Morado a dark purple band. Then again...I could be wrong, it's very confusing.