Home Cigar 101
Options

General Burn Questions

bibbybibby Posts: 152
Real noob questions here; I also realize some of these will be personal preferences. I digress, anyway here I go, just finished a Nub Conneticut in 45 mins and didn't ash once. Stopped smoking when it hit the label ring, is that correct? Also should you only smoke to the label ring, till the draw is so hot it burns, or should the end of a stick be defined in some other way? Also I am lighting with long wooden matches, got a great burn by the way, but it definately burned some of the wrapper. Do I need to let the match be more perpendicular to the stick or is that okay? Any responses appreciated, thanks. ~Rob

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    stop burning the cigar when there is no reason to smoke it anymore.

I have smoked far beyond the band. (or where it would be. i remove the band before lighting) Ive smoked till i could no longer hold the cigar in my hand because if i tried i would burn myself. I know people that have used some sort of clip to go farther.

as far as the light goes...
    wooden matches are starting to become my favorite way of lighting a cigar. i wouldnt call the cigar perpendicular to the match but it is at a fairly high angle. i also try and keep the flame itself a small one and as far away from the cigar as i can while still lighting it. use the lower air pressure caused by drawing on it to entice the flame closer. this not only keeps the wrapper leaf from burning off prematurely but it also helps keep the cigar cooler during the light.

• Options
    MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    Smoke the cigar until you stop enjoying it.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    MAJORdorMo:
    Well, till you stop enjoying it or your fingers start to smolder, whichever comes first.
  • Options
    bibbybibby Posts: 152
    j0z3r:
    MAJORdorMo:
    Well, till you stop enjoying it or your fingers start to smolder, whichever comes first.
    Touche, I lit up a CAO LX2 last night using Kuzi's advice to keep the flame far away from the foot and it seemed to work really well, except that it took quite a bit longer and more matches. Definitely worth it less harsh flavors right off the bat, really good smoke; hits of earthly tones, chocolately, java, and just enough spice to keep it interesting. Thanks guys! ~ Rob
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Bibby:
    j0z3r:
    MAJORdorMo:
    Touche, I lit up a CAO LX2 last night using Kuzi's advice to keep the flame far away from the foot and it seemed to work really well, except that it took quite a bit longer and more matches. Definitely worth it less harsh flavors right off the bat, really good smoke; hits of earthly tones, chocolately, java, and just enough spice to keep it interesting. Thanks guys! ~ Rob
    Good trick I use is to buy some medium length matches or even the fireplace length matches. Light two together, and use them to light the cigar. The longer matches keep you from having to use more than one or two. Using two together gives you a bigger flame, making it easier to hold it away from the foot and draw in as Kuzi was saying. I also don't touch flame to foot until the flame has burned down the match a little, as I don't want the sulphur from the match tip affecting the taste of my cigar.

if you can find cedar matches, it makes it all the better.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I like matches better than anything else but use a torch when I dont want to take the time to use the matches or am out of patience. Typically I keep the matches parallel to the ground/floor when I light.
  • Options
    jbs5869jbs5869 Posts: 9
    j0z3r:
    MAJORdorMo:

what if you enjoy your fingers smoldering?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    jbs5869:
    j0z3r:
    MAJORdorMo:

Then keep on truckin' babe.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    jbs5869:
    j0z3r:
    MAJORdorMo:

Then keep on truckin' babe.

I move to hemostats, not that I don't like the flavor of smoldering fingers - it's just a *** to wake up with aquaphor alll over the bed sheets.