Home Cigar 101

Tight Draw?

Anyway to loosen a tight draw, not plugged just tight, Some cigars I really like I have draw that is too tight...

Comments

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a new member here having the same problem.  I just received some Oliveros 1927's from cigar.com and I love the taste, but they seem to draw very tight.  I have the same question as Jeff, can anything be done?
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's an item on the market called a "draw poker" that enables you to poke an air passage through the cigar. To me, they're a little pricey.

What I did was to take a wire coat hanger (of the thinnest diameter wire I could find), fashion a small handle on one end and cut it to the appropriate length. I think it works as well, if not better than, the commercial model.

Also, I'd either file the end of the wire to a square, blunt end or leave it just the way the wire-cutters did; with a chisel-looking end. If you choose the chisel-looking end I'd recommend rotating it as you push it through the cigar. This will essentially drill a hole through it. It isn't necessary to do this if you choose the blunt ended version.

Whatever you do, don't file the end to a round point like an ice-pick. This will sometimes cause a cigar to split as though a wedge were being driven through it.

• HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    A simple straightened out paper clip should do the trick. Straighten it out as much as possible and simply stick it up the cut end of the cigar enough to loosen up the tabacco. Do not push it too far as to poke off the cherry (the lit amber at the end), and be VERY careful to not poke the wrapper from the inside and rip it. I only ever had to do this once and it worked quite well. It wasn't a night and day difference, but it certainly helped enough for me to enjoy the cigar.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    The paperclip works as well as anything you can buy ...
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I usually just cut up further, but make sure not to cut past the shoulder...it normally makes a bigger difference than you'd expect. especially with a torpedo. I really had trouble with the draw on padilla achilles torpedo's. I still have lots of trouble with them, but this virtually cured the draw problem.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Sometimes, rolling the cigar in your fingers and applying a bit of pressure can help to work out a tight spot.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Hugemoose:
    A simple straightened out paper clip should do the trick. Straighten it out as much as possible and simply stick it up the cut end of the cigar enough to loosen up the tabacco.
    this is what i do. works great.

if EVERY stick has too tight of a draw it may be a humidity problem. lower your RH to 65%

• cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    j0z3r:
    Sometimes, rolling the cigar in your fingers and applying a bit of pressure can help to work out a tight spot.
    this is is what i do as well. i just roll it from the head down towards the foot with a little pressure and it helps open up the tobacco.
    I had one today that presented an interesting variation of your standard plug. When I clipped the cap, I was looking at smooth leaf, so I tried a test draw and not a damn thing...when the cigar was rolled, somehow the tobacco got folded over so that the leaf covered the entire cross section of the bunch. A second cut fixed the problem, but I have not seen this yet and thought it was very interesting.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    j0z3r:
    I had one today that presented an interesting variation of your standard plug. When I clipped the cap, I was looking at smooth leaf, so I tried a test draw and not a damn thing...when the cigar was rolled, somehow the tobacco got folded over so that the leaf covered the entire cross section of the bunch. A second cut fixed the problem, but I have not seen this yet and thought it was very interesting.

Huh ...thats different ...what kinda cigar was it Joe ?
  • jbs5869jbs5869 Posts: 9
    haha the great part is that you attempted a test draw.  well played
    jbs5869:
    haha the great part is that you attempted a test draw.  well played
    Well, I had to be sure I was actually seeing what I thought I was seeing. As they say, the proof is in the pudding...though I'm not sure what pudding has to do with this.

Gene: It was a Punch petit coronation tubo from Cooba. Nice cigar by the way, rolling issue aside.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Followup on my Oliveros 1927"s. I took Nsezell's advice and tried a little deeper cut above the shoulder. It made all the difference in the world. The draw was great and I really enjoyed the cigar immensely. Thanks Nsezell.