Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Musk flavors

beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
I know a lot of BOTL's really enjoy this flavor, but I just can't get into it. Just smoked a Davidoff and it seems like that one particular flavor overwhelms the entire cigar. I know everyone has different tastes, this is just not mine. But I have a question for anyone in the know. Is this flavor from certain tobaccos, or is it from the fermenting and aging process? I know a lot of Kelmer's blends have it. I was just wondering what brings it out in a cigar. It kinda reminds me of my great grandfather's closet. LOL.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    some of it is how and where it is grown, some of it is how it is aged and fermented and blended.

i really think that even though you do not like the davidoff style, you would still appreciate the davidoff tasting event. they give you 4 cigars. the first three have the three basic elements in a davidoff classic and the final one is the actual blend. in the tasting they tell you what to look for and why it works with the others in the blend. its very interesting.
    as you know i am a fan of the musk that Davidoffs tend to have (especially the thousand series) and one of the tasting cigars is all musk. i could smoke that all day. if they released that one id buy it.
    most people find it a bit much to take. i love it.
  • Options
    That tasting event would be awesome. Yes, I knew you liked it.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Rick, fermentation and aging process refine, mature and boost the flavors and aroma out of the cigar leaves but does not add any additional flavors or aroma.

The mask, musty, sometime damp earthy flavors and aromas are more noticeable in Davidoff cigar. most of these tobacco comes from fertile Dominican Ciabo Valley. Cibao Valley has been the most prominent agricultural area in Dominican Republic over 600 years. The famous and popular Olor, Piloto Cubano and San Vincente tobaccos comes from Cibao Valley.

Cibao valley is also known as rocky lands. Millions of years ago, Cibao Valeey was under the Caribbean ocean. The rocks in this valley had thick layers of fossils rich sedimentary. These fossils are full of potassium and other rich minerals good for the tobacco plants. Cibao is a natural gift to the Dominican Rebuplic which offers the distinctive musk flavor to the tobacco leaves. Wish I had more knowledge to elaborate my answer.
    beatnic:
    I know a lot of BOTL's really enjoy this flavor, but I just can't get into it. Just smoked a Davidoff and it seems like that one particular flavor overwhelms the entire cigar. I know everyone has different tastes, this is just not mine. But I have a question for anyone in the know. Is this flavor from certain tobaccos, or is it from the fermenting and aging process? I know a lot of Kelmer's blends have it. I was just wondering what brings it out in a cigar. It kinda reminds me of my great grandfather's closet. LOL.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Which one did you have? I love it as well, can't get enough. Had two 3x3's today actually. I totally understand though, everything I smoke from EPC including vintage ISOM I did not like. Dot know why, they are good smokes.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Rip, I've noticed when I have cigars with olor, piloto, and San Vicente I love them. I always look for those fillers now. I'd love to go there and actually experince them first hand in the manner kuzi speaks of
  • Options
    Dustin, the signature Davidoff musk flavors comes from these three types of tobaccos. Henke extensively utilizes them in his blends. Davidoff heavily invested in plantation in DR, Ecuador and some other Latin American countries. They are also pioneer of creating many hybrid tobaccos and use them in the blend such as San Vicente which is a hybrid of Olor and Piloto, Criollo and Corojo hybrid. I think somehow Henke boosted the muskiness with nutty finish through many hybrid seeds. It would be fascinating to visit the Cibao valley someday. However, there is one weakness about Dominican tobacco- the strength is weak and not so robust compares to Nicaraguan and Honduran tobaccos.
    catfishbluezz:
    Rip, I've noticed when I have cigars with olor, piloto, and San Vicente I love them. I always look for those fillers now. I'd love to go there and actually experince them first hand in the manner kuzi speaks of
  • Options
    Thanks Rip. So it is the leaf and where it was grown. Understandable. Catfish, it was a Special T. Beautiful stick and smoked like a dream. It just had that musk thats a bit over bearing for me.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    That tasting event would be awesome. Yes, I knew you liked it.
    Man I would LOVE to attend a Davidoff tasting
  • Options
    rzaman:
    Dustin, the signature Davidoff musk flavors comes from these three types of tobaccos. Henke extensively utilizes them in his blends. Davidoff heavily invested in plantation in DR, Ecuador and some other Latin American countries. They are also pioneer of creating many hybrid tobaccos and use them in the blend such as San Vicente which is a hybrid of Olor and Piloto, Criollo and Corojo hybrid. I think somehow Henke boosted the muskiness with nutty finish through many hybrid seeds. It would be fascinating to visit the Cibao valley someday. However, there is one weakness about Dominican tobacco- the strength is weak and not so robust compares to Nicaraguan and Honduran tobaccos.
    "heavily invested" might be a bit of an understatement. i mean, i was under the impression that Davidoff had 100% control over everything from the seed to the sale. they grow their own tobacco instead of buying it from outside sources. they "own" their farmers. this kind of control has given them the ability to get flavors out like rip was talking about above. they dont have to look for tobacco that they want. they make it.
  • Options
    rzaman:
    Rick, fermentation and aging process refine, mature and boost the flavors and aroma out of the cigar leaves but does not add any additional flavors or aroma.
    im not sure i agree with this. the fermentation process, the high heat, the way the oils react within the leaf actually create different molecules. it is a chemical reaction. this will have an impact on the flavor.
  • Options
    Kuzi, Davidoff does everything from the A to Z with Dominican tobacco but they also buy tobaccos under their strict specification from Peru and Nicaragua. They do not have any operation here and this is how I met my Davidoff friend. However, they do have their paid employees in Nicaragua who just work for Davidoff. Davidoff also invested money in Ecuador where they grow many hybrid tobaccos but these farms only work for Davidoff.
    kuzi16:
    rzaman:
    "heavily invested" might be a bit of an understatement. i mean, i was under the impression that Davidoff had 100% control over everything from the seed to the sale. they grow their own tobacco instead of buying it from outside sources. they "own" their farmers. this kind of control has given them the ability to get flavors out like rip was talking about above. they dont have to look for tobacco that they want. they make it.
  • Options
    We both are saying the same thing...you articulated with better words-: >
    kuzi16:
    rzaman:
    im not sure i agree with this. the fermentation process, the high heat, the way the oils react within the leaf actually create different molecules. it is a chemical reaction. this will have an impact on the flavor.
  • Options
    rzaman:
    Kuzi, Davidoff does everything from the A to Z with Dominican tobacco but they also buy tobaccos under their strict specification from Peru and Nicaragua. They do not have any operation here and this is how I met my Davidoff friend. However, they do have their paid employees in Nicaragua who just work for Davidoff. Davidoff also invested money in Ecuador where they grow many hybrid tobaccos but these farms only work for Davidoff.
    ok. thats where my confusion was. i knew they owned dominican farms and i knew they got Nicaraguan and Ecuadorian and thought they owned those as well. I mean they do use the Connecticut seed Ecuadorian grown wrapper. kinda closed the loose ends in my brain there. good stuff.