Home Ratings & Reviews

Rocky Patel Nording robusto

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Over Christmas, I dropped into my excellent B&M to replenish my supply of black plastic cigar tubes. Asked the cigar geek there whether I could buy a box of them to get a price break. They only had eleven, no more in back, but he offered to throw in the eleventh if I bought ten. The, because I was giving them away, he proceeded to fill them up with seconds from their back room. I walked away with thirty three bucks worth of tubes and about seventy bucks worth of cigars for thirty bucks. Merry Christmas.

Several of these sticks, though, were naked, and seemed heavy and tight, like they had been stored somewhere soggy and then returned. I stuck them in a dry box for several weeks, cause it seemed like a recipient would have a plugged smoke if I handed them out. One of these was a Rocky Patel Nording. I hauled it out yesterday afternoon, first quarter of that excellent Ravens vs. Broncos game.

At that time, I had never smoked a Rocky Patel which I did not despise. I thought RP was a complete fraud. Holy Moly, was I wrong.

I could not get a good picture of this. Took four; but the lighting always seemed dim. I soon gave up cause I wanted to go back to the game. The wrapper is a rich dark chocolate brown maduro, while the bands are lettered in super shiny gold which blinds the camera under direct light, so I couldn't put the lamp right on it. Here's what I got:

Has that funny turban twist on the head. Very attractive all around. The foot smells like sweet barn. The turban twist somehow allows for an easy draw even without uncapping. I have no clue how that works; but it draws as though the turban was a plug cut. The unlit draw has a honey and spice to it. I'd say it tastes like a pipe tobacco I used to smoke, came in a round can, golden color, burley cut, heavy and sweet... don't remember the name. Even the RedHead sucked the end of this and pronounced it tasty. It would tickle my throat with spice, Not much flavor to the wrapper.though.

The turban popped right off. She lit up with one match toasting the foot. Hit me immediately with loads of spice and honey. Think of french toast from good home made bread, doused in cinnamon and nutmeg, then covered with dark honey instead of syrup. That would be it. Moderate volume for the first hour. The RedHead approves of the aroma. A lasting cinnamon finish. A slow knife edge burn. A tight white long ash. Excellent. The worst I could possibly say would be that the retro was sneezy -- all dry nutmeg.

Along about an hour in, I started to get some oak with honey, and the ash turned shaggier, while the smoke volume billowed. Had to open a second window now. The RedHead assumed I would be ready for dinner by an hour and a quarter in; but there was still plenty left, and I was reluctant to put it down. Didn't need to sip a thing for an hour and a half. Didn't put it down for over two hours. A long lasting and truly satisfying robusto.

My stink finger was all honey. My morning mouth was honey and nutmeg. I got a dry wheeze and a stuffy nose.

I rate this five stars out of five. In fact, Rain's Pros Versus Joes pass is coming soon, so I am going back to the B&M to see if I can score another one or two of these to throw in there. This cigar is too damn good to keep to yourself.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    That's cool. It's been years since I had a Nording but I remember loving them. That was back when RP was hitting on all cylinders and the 90, 92 and Decade were also phenomenal. Glad you found a nice supply, sounds like your B&M is a great place.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Sweet...I hope you can score a few! Although after this review, I doubt any would make it to me ;)
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain, you fishin fer a stick? I'll see what I can do, hopefully later toady. Here I thought you switched to pipes.

How you makin out with that?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech Vinny swears by these, told me he has a box last time I talked to him.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I just picked up a few of the Rocky Patel Nording 50th Anniversary here. I've loved this stick for many years in the original blend, and had to see what they could do to make it even more special. I'm going to rest these for a little while. Can't wait to give them a try.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scored.

• amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Nice review. You've inspired me to try one of these tonight. Different size though.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Heard the limited version is a great stick but the normal line....is well rp
    Money can't buy taste
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    A 2 hour burning robusto? Jeez whats rocky putting in these to burn that slow? I usually avoid anything RP, maybe someday i'll try a few sticks if he cuts back on the hoe-ing out of new lines.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    A lot of vets here on the forums know I'm a RP ****. Nodding isn't bad. Hard to find in my area. I had one few years ago before the new blend and label change. If you like the nording, try the winter blend 2012. IMO it is just as good and reminds of the the 2009 winter blend.

"Long ashes my friends."