Home General Discussion
Options

Aging and change of taste

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
So I've been going through some of my stash and have noticed some of the things I have put away for aging really no longer excite me. In a way I'm kinda mad since I spent the time and money on them but also makes me second guess farther purchases. Although there are some I've found and am very thrilled with!! But for the most part it's just...oh we'll ill give them away as time passes. Anyone else come across this? It's bugging the hell out of me lol
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Probably, many times after aging cigars, (3-5 years) I expect too much from them. It could be that I don't have such a refined taste that I can say "wow the nutmeg really comes through now that the spice has susided." I can tell the difference in "resting"(two months to a year) compared to off the truck, but aging benifits few of the cigars I smoke on a regular basis such as Opus, some Ashtons, and ISOMs.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Yes, unfortunately this has been my experience as well. Certain cigars do well with years of age but many NCs do not need years of age to get all the flavor and smoothness they are going have. Many just start losing flavor and everything becomes muted. I'm sure some would disagree and explain how the pepper goes away first and then all the flavors meld together and create subtle nuances. I think a lot of NCs just aren't good candidates for long term aging. It is discouraging and I've learned that I don't need years worth of cigars at once any more.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I think its really a nuance taster kinda thing. I enjoy smokes without any hint of what my brain considers roughness. So I age even NC a year. Cubans get 4 or 5. Probably its just my finicky stubbornness but that's how I enjoy my smokes. I think it comes to you after years of smoking and learning what you like and how those flavors and tastes become easier to recognize thru smoke.
  • Options
    I was kinda more implying that say I bought a box of x cigars a while ago for aging. And through the time realized I really don't care for them anymore....and now I have a bunch of aged ones I probably will not be smoking. It's been like that recently for me...but now I've narrowed down what I want too buy these days so its hard to go wrong
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I was kinda more implying that say I bought a box of x cigars a while ago for aging. And through the time realized I really don't care for them anymore....and now I have a bunch of aged ones I probably will not be smoking. It's been like that recently for me...but now I've narrowed down what I want too buy these days so its hard to go wrong
    What are they? Someone'll probably take 'em off your hands.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    What are they? Someone'll probably take 'em off your hands.
    Lmao yeah they will be in future bombs and such...but I hate the fact I don't take a shining to them anymore
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Ah yes I misunderstood. I think we all go thru changing tastes and changing likes and dislikes. I've done that with a few box buys that I liked a lot but then after a year when I reopened the box I wasn't in to them. Happens to everyone probably. The good thing is you can easily sell to the brothers here, esp if you price them reasonably.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Lee, the answer is simple- it depends on the cigars. However, the fact is, some cigars trasformed and perform in optimum level with proper aging. most of the Cubans fall under this category as well as some other non-Cubans.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    rzaman:
    Lee, the answer is simple- it depends on the cigars. However, the fact is, some cigars trasformed and perform in optimum level with proper aging. most of the Cubans fall under this category as well as some other non-Cubans.
    Then again, Cuba ships those things out as soon as they're rolled, whereas NC's typically age them before releasing them to the public
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Cuba ships all their cigars out as soon as they are rolled is not entirely true. last four years Cuba rolled lot of cigars after aging the tobaccos, such as Cohiba Gran Reserva Consecha 2003(Tobaccos from 2003) was rolled and released in 2009, 1966(2-3 years aged tobaccos), Montecristo Gran Reserva 2005, Romeo Julieta Gran Reserva, Behikes, Partagas series E no. 2,etc. etc.
    xmacro:
    rzaman:
    Then again, Cuba ships those things out as soon as they're rolled, whereas NC's typically age them before releasing them to the public