Home Cigar 101

Flavored Cigars and Humidors

Hey all, just started smoking about a month ago or so. Glad I started, Cigars are awesome. Never smoked cigarettes never want to but I love cigars.

However, I have a slight problem. I have a hard time finding non-flavored cigars that I like. I bought a 20-pack of Quorum, but they are just OK. I've tried the CAO Moontrance flavor and loved it, but I'm looking for something non-flavored that I can get boxes of to stick in my humidor without flavor (I have been told not to put flavored cigars such as the moontrance in because the flavor will forever be embedded in my humidor and ruin taste of others). Was this a false hint?

I just recently bought a box of the Isla Del Sol by Drew Estate. It's got a kind of Cocoa flavor. Is this going to be ok to put in my Humidor without having to worry about the flavor being infused with my humi? Or should I just quit worrying? Every cigar says it has a slight flavor to it, but where is the line is what I'm curious about.

While I'm at it, I recently smoked a Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 and LOVED IT. Didn't exactly have a flavor I could tell but there was just something that tasted good. What taste is that I'm getting? I have no friends that smoke cigars so I have nowhere else to turn.

Thanks in advance, see you around!

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Yes, putting infused cigars in a humidor will make that humidor smell like the infused cigar. It will pick up the smell and retain it for a long time. I'd recommend a separate humidor/tupperware/coolerdoor for the infused sticks. I haven't tried the Carlos Torano Exodus 1959. I've heard it's good, and it's on my to try list.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I have a seperate humi for my beloved DE Java and Tabak Especial's ...I feel better keeping them seperate ...And it keeps the Regular cigars from knowing I whisper sweet nothings into the cello of the Flavored cigars ...can't be too careful ...
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    The exodus 1959 has some coffee and chocolate flavors, along with some toasty peppery (light) flavors with a bit of wood as well, all around good smoke, imo.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I love the 1959 silver! It was the first box purchase I made.
  • cabinetmaker:
    The exodus 1959 has some coffee and chocolate flavors, along with some toasty peppery (light) flavors with a bit of wood as well, all around good smoke, imo.

So since it has those flavored say I get a box of those, fill my humi with them, won't my humi forever have that flavor/scent?

I guess I'm trying to ask do all cigars have a slight flavor? Where is the line as far as whether or not a cigar will give the humi its scent?

Natural tobacco imparts different aromas than infused tobaccos. The Spanish cedar will impart a bit of it's own flavor on the tobacco; but for the most part the tobacco smell will just be a tobacco smell. The flavors of the tobacco really come into thier own when you light them up, so I would not worry too much about storing non-infused cigars in the same box.
  • bigj51bigj51 Posts: 52
    oh no i keep a box of java's in the humi as all my others. seriously though i don't notice anything, but i also keep them in the cello too
    If you keep them in the cello, it's no big deal.
  • They don't age in the cello though do they? I've taken all mine out. Those Isla Del Sol's should be fine in with other cigars though shouldn't they? Oh and I tried an Arturo Fuente last night. Not too impressed. It was pretty smooth but nothing really wowed me.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Footballer5445:
    They don't age in the cello though do they? I've taken all mine out. Those Isla Del Sol's should be fine in with other cigars though shouldn't they? Oh and I tried an Arturo Fuente last night. Not too impressed. It was pretty smooth but nothing really wowed me.

AF has so many blends ...can you be more specific
  • On the site it just says Arturo Fuente... A. Fuente Gran Reserva. It's the Royal Salute longest cigar I've seen actually.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    just a suggestion Footballer - it's not going to make you look bad if you purchase a book on cigars. It will open your eyes a lot to things you need to know about them. And I have found a book might be a much better medium to get familiarize with cigars than the open internet. I myself have the Idiot's Guide to Cigars and honestly love it! it taught me a lot about cigars and actually helped me hone my palete to the point that i can identify now tobacco in the mystery cigars Betasynn gives me. I would suggest to get that guide and read up on comparisons of cigar "tastes". I like when the author says for example how we naturally try to relate cigar tastes to food flavors and tastes while in fact its not only very hard to do so, but the cigar equivalent of toast for example is very much not how you would really expect toast to taste :). I have come to realize it all comes with smoking - even with flavors. The more you do it - the better and the more things will be coming to your mind. You gotta play association games. You take a drag and think of what the flavor evokes in you. I once compared a cigar to a flavor I got when I was a kid and we baked potatoes in the ash of an open fire we had had in the woods. So yeah... :).. I hope this helps - from one newbie to another!

Cheers!