Home General Discussion

For those of you with smoking humidors

How long after you put a cigar in your smoking humidor do you wait to smoke it. I just moved a few newer cigars into my smoking humidor that I am itching to try but obviously want the best experience and lately I have noticed that cigars that I keep in zip lock bags with humi pillows are a little too moist. So, I move them but am not positive how long it will take for the rH in the cigar to stabilize. Any suggestions or insight is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    How long after you put a cigar in your smoking humidor do you wait to smoke it. I just moved a few newer cigars into my smoking humidor that I am itching to try but obviously want the best experience and lately I have noticed that cigars that I keep in zip lock bags with humi pillows are a little too moist. So, I move them but am not positive how long it will take for the rH in the cigar to stabilize. Any suggestions or insight is greatly appreciated.
    I'd treat them like if they were just shipped to you for most manufacturer's ship in those type of bags anyways. I'd give them 2-3 weeks if you can a week minimum and if you can't wait, check you local weather and if the humidity is lower than 60% let them sit out for an hour before you smoke it
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Thanks man. Tomorrow will be a week but I'll wait a little longer. I have them sitting in my smoking humi with it open sitting infront of an AC at the moment. Trying to drop the rH a little and the temp too. It was getting a little warm in my room. It's 75 at the moment. I have a Padilla 1932 Salomon Maduro and a Master Blends II waiting and my mouth is watering!!!!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    many of the cigars that i bring into my humidors never hit the aging humidor. those still get 6 weeks before sparking up.

if i move a cigar from the aging humidor to the smoking humidor i could smoke it a day later or i could smoke it a year later. all that it means to have a cigar in my smoking humidor is that i dont feel an express NEED to age them. i have a few in the smoking humidor that will see a few years before i smoke them. they may even be there longer than some things in the aging humidor.

i have an OpusX **** in the smoking humidor right now with about 3 years on it. I would have no problem smoking that on any given day. the day has just not presented itself yet.

keep in mind that i do keep both humidors at the same RH.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    Thanks man. Tomorrow will be a week but I'll wait a little longer. I have them sitting in my smoking humi with it open sitting infront of an AC at the moment. Trying to drop the rH a little and the temp too. It was getting a little warm in my room. It's 75 at the moment. I have a Padilla 1932 Salomon Maduro and a Master Blends II waiting and my mouth is watering!!!!
    I wouldn't change the Rh too drastically, the A/C is very dry air...

Remember that you want to do things naturally and you want to do things slowly

Cigars that were a little too humid sitting in front of the A/C reminds me of my old laundry dryer... Bone Dry on the outside and wet on the inside... *Eeeep!*
    kuzi16:
    many of the cigars that i bring into my humidors never hit the aging humidor. those still get 6 weeks before sparking up.

if i move a cigar from the aging humidor to the smoking humidor i could smoke it a day later or i could smoke it a year later. all that it means to have a cigar in my smoking humidor is that i dont feel an express NEED to age them. i have a few in the smoking humidor that will see a few years before i smoke them. they may even be there longer than some things in the aging humidor.

i have an OpusX **** in the smoking humidor right now with about 3 years on it. I would have no problem smoking that on any given day. the day has just not presented itself yet.

keep in mind that i do keep both humidors at the same RH.
    I have a few Anejo's in my smoking humidor but only because I ram out of room in my Fuente Humidor. I do have some stuff in there that has been in there for months. I just have a lot of new stuff that I want to try. I'm trying to decide what I am going to bring with me tomorrow. I took the day off and am going with my sister and the ymca to see Harry Potter in the IMAX theater and it is an hour drive minimum. Decisions, decisions...
    Lasabar:
    rwheelwright:
    I wouldn't change the Rh too drastically, the A/C is very dry air...

Remember that you want to do things naturally and you want to do things slowly

Cigars that were a little too humid sitting in front of the A/C reminds me of my old laundry dryer... Bone Dry on the outside and wet on the inside... *Eeeep!*
    My reason for the AC was to cool down the whole humi and not just the cigars. Believe it or not I got the temp of the hygro down but the rH stayed around 70. My room must be a little too humid and hot. Nothing that running the AC can't fix in a couple of hours. My TV and Laptop (Dell D410) put out a lot of heat along with the blu-ray player, receiver and everything else that is on. I usually fall go to sleep sweating and by the time I wake I am freezing I'm just trying to accelerate the process tonight. :-)
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Maybe move the humis to a room with less heat?
  • bigj51bigj51 Posts: 52
    i go about 4-6 weeks that's after the 24 hours in the freezer and 24 hours in the fridge
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I have not yet set up an aging/smoking humidor. I do have plans for one though. I already have the setup, I just have to get the RF correct and the cigars that I plan on aging separated.
  • mario6736mario6736 Posts: 11
    Smile [:)]