Home Cigar 101

New Cutter

FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
I need to grow up and buy a new cutter. I prefer a double blade, but wouldnt be opposed to a punch. I have a double blade that I picked up at my B&M for about 10 that works, but its not the best. What say ye on punch V cutter and what type/brand?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    see if you can use a v-cut first. some people actually dont like this type of cut at all.

otherwise i go with a punch whenever i can.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I prefer a punch myself.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Honestly - get a XIKAR guillotine cutter... The Xi2 is really the best I have seen. Then get one of these lighters that have a built in punch if you want or pick one up on CigarBid for $4-$5... The Xikar can run you from $20 to $40 but it is well worth the price as the warranty is amazing - they can always sharpen it for free and they send you a nice leather sheath for it. Definitely worth the investment!
    Renaissance_Man:
    Honestly - get a XIKAR guillotine cutter... The Xi2 is really the best I have seen. Then get one of these lighters that have a built in punch if you want or pick one up on CigarBid for $4-$5... The Xikar can run you from $20 to $40 but it is well worth the price as the warranty is amazing - they can always sharpen it for free and they send you a nice leather sheath for it. Definitely worth the investment!
    xikar can run you up to $400 if you let it.
    kuzi16:
    Point taken... or he can go with this - http://www.onthefly.com/product/gershon-ltd/gershon-ltd-warthog-tusk-cigar-cutter-14k-gold/24490
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I love my Xi 2 I got a few months ago, you can't beat the warranty they have on them. But, if you do go with a punch, the ones on the bottom of lighters aren't a bad way to go, you can't ever forget it if you bring your lighter everywhere.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    There's a Xikar imitator from Colibri out there, called the Firebird (I think... and I even own it!!! Too lazy to get up and check)

It works the same way and only has a two year warranty... but I did get mine from a cigar shop (*cough* Overpriced) and I STILL only paid $20
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I use a Xikar 007 Punch, it is great when you want a punch. When I bought it, it came with a free Xikar Mean Sardine (I think they go for around $9 by themselves) and I use it and most of my cigars. I have a XI2, but I almost always use either the Sardine or the 007.
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    ive got a xikar xi2 and this thing gives an amazing cut and it has a great warranty.
  • bigj51bigj51 Posts: 52
    am i the only one who like the scissor cutter? ya i have dble guillotines but i like the scissors
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    bigj51:
    am i the only one who like the scissor cutter? ya i have dble guillotines but i like the scissors
    I have an old one that was given to me by my dad, but it's duller than a 95 year old guy's sex life so I go with my Xi 2.
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    Fourtotheflush:
    I need to grow up and buy a new cutter. I prefer a double blade, but wouldnt be opposed to a punch. I have a double blade that I picked up at my B&M for about 10 that works, but its not the best. What say ye on punch V cutter and what type/brand?
    Until recently I only used a double blade. I bought a punch and I love it for the larger ring size cigars. I would like to try a V cutter before I buy one.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Renaissance_Man:
    is it me, or does that cutter look ugly as hell?

"Long ashes my friends."

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Krieg:
    kuzi16:
    Renaissance_Man:
    is it me, or does that cutter look ugly as hell?
    I think it looks cool. Not $400 cool, but I don't think it's ugly. Besides, if it is ugly, then it is worth that much more, didn't you know? :)

Check out a nice ST Dupont cutter....yikes!!! They don't even use fossilized mammoth tusk. :D
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r, You are so right! I had to take a look at the link and it is indeed butt ugly!
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Get the Xikar mean sardine and be done with it...
  • andrewhandrewh Posts: 97
    I like to take a dull butter knife and saw at my cigar for a while.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    andrewh:

Personally my skill saw works pretty good ...
  • ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    I use the 5$ plastic double blades from my local B&M... Works just fine, I"ll take the other 75$ that I saved by not buying and Xi3 and but more cigars!
    gmill880:
    andrewh:

You too?!!! I actually had to legit cut a cigar few days ago with a serrated cooking knife... It was.... fun... You can just skip on all the BS and bite off your cigar like my roommate does. Just bite the end and pull! You gonna get a pretty good opening and "pre-light" taste... ;)
    Renaissance_Man:
    gmill880:
    andrewh:

You too?!!! I actually had to legit cut a cigar few days ago with a serrated cooking knife... It was.... fun... You can just skip on all the BS and bite off your cigar like my roommate does. Just bite the end and pull! You gonna get a pretty good opening and "pre-light" taste... ;)
    HA! I just noticed your Tagline as "Growing Balls!" Like IT!
    Lasabar:
    HA! I just noticed your Tagline as "Growing Balls!" Like IT!
    Hahah - thanks! One is done, the other one is growing now - soon I'll have a pair ;)!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Did you guys see on the churchil thread link that he poked holes in the head of his cigar with match sticks! Funny!
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Posts: 239
    If you want a nice cutter for less than a fortune I suggest cuban crafters, they make good quality, heavy, solid cutters (mostly double guillotine, all stainless steel), they work great and you can get them for like 15-20 bucks on their website without shipping. They all come with a lifetime no-questions warranty as well, I haven't had mine for that long but so far I love it.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    A Delta Unisaw works in a pinch....Kinda pricey, though..
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    cabinetmaker:
    A Delta Unisaw works in a pinch....Kinda pricey, though..

I have a small drill that I can use as a punch in a emergency ...;)
  • rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    I have been using my VERY sharp kitchen knives for the last few months, but as some of you will assume, yes, I had some small issues, although nothing that couldn't be smoked. I am now understanding the significance of the 'clean' cut.[spits out the cap pieces]

So I did some late night shopping and found this on ebay and bought it. Anything has got to be better then my knives lol.

Anyone have any experience using this?
    I think it looked cool and sharp my 2 criteria :)

those are freakin sweet lookin. three blades. all metal. trusted name. lifetime guarantee...
    if the price is right, i dont see how it can be wrong.
    i got in the mail today an Xi2. so...im a bit excited about that.

bloodstone. for those who wanted to know.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    those scissors look awesome, let us know how well they cut.

"Long ashes my friends."

My goodness!!! That thing is sweet!

/Going to Ebay