Home Cigar 101

wrapper issue

This past Sunday I decided to have a gurka turk. I cut the cigar and as I start to torch I notice the cigar wrapper is starting to unravel. it easily came off from the top to about the middle of the cigar. i basically used saliva to hold it together, but it clearly wasn't working that great. just pissed me off completely. is there any way to save something like this, and i know i didn't cut low enough, it just came apart. is cigar glue available for somwthing like this or is it a lost cause when this happens?

Comments

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Fruit pectin. There's a thread in here a while back about it and where to get it, how to use it, etc..
  • kevster77kevster77 Posts: 68
    thanks.
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    you know..... that happens to me every single time I try to enjoy a Gurka. Really....everytime. I've given up on Gurka- won't buy 'em anymore.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    its never happened to me with a gurkha.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    You can always remove the wrapper completely and smoke it that way ;)!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Renaissance_Man:
    You can always remove the wrapper completely and smoke it that way ;)!
    Whose first?
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    kuzi16:
    its never happened to me with a gurkha.
    really? I'm a bit jealous. I'd really like to get to the 2nd third before they unwrap. maybe I should try to let one sit out of the humi for the day and get the RH down. hmmmm
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've never had a Ghurka unravel on me either...they always find other ways to disappoint.

Sometimes a cigar is destined to malfunction, but the best way to ensure that it won't unravel is to cut something about the thickness of a dime off the head keeping the cap intact. I don't have many cigars unravel on me, and the ones that do are caused by sloppy construction of the head/cap (I'm looking at you Padron).
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    j0z3r:
    I don't have many cigars unravel on me, and the ones that do are caused by sloppy construction of the head/cap (I'm looking at you Padron).
    Yeah, I'll echo this...Padrons are a bit schotty in the cap construction department, but for the most part they have held up reasonably well in my experience.

I have had some Gurkha Perfectos that unravelled on me though.