Home General Discussion

Churchill and his Cigars

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
For anyone who is interested in a little bit of history...and cigars. Churchill and his cigars

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    That is pretty cool. Thanks.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    when did (Cuban) La Aroma de Cuba stop producing? anyone know off the top of their heads?
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    when did (Cuban) La Aroma de Cuba stop producing? anyone know off the top of their heads?
    not sure...I never heard they stopped actually.

"Long ashes my friends."

research time....
  • naughtnaught Posts: 56
    Great pics! Thanks for sharing.
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    history is so cool.... hated it in H.S. But now fuggin' dig it.
    Jdorais:
    history is so cool.... hated it in H.S. But now fuggin' dig it.
    amen to all of that.
  • Stew3223Stew3223 Posts: 15
    What sort of methods did they use for cigar storage back then?  Obviously now we have beads, crystals, electronic humidifiers and hygrometers , but without the aid of technology, how did people like Churchill keep their cigars fresh?

Cool pics, thanx for sharing!
  • jacketsrulejacketsrule Posts: 401
    That's cool. He met world leaders with a cigar in his mouth, now we can't smoke anywhere???
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Thanks Krieg...that was very cool. I love his quote about his rule of life being to smoke and drink whenever the hell he felt the need. When you're prime minister, president, etc., you can smoke whenever and wherever you damn well please.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Although it's now probably trademarked by the cigar company that shares his name but I love the quote....

Something like:
    "I have very simple tastes, I am easily pleased with the very best!"
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Jacketsrule. It struck me that he was greeting world leaders with a smoke in his mouth. If a Prime Minister, President, etc. did that now, it would be on CNN in a heartbeat! Oh, for the good old days!
    Stew3223:
    What sort of methods did they use for cigar storage back then?  Obviously now we have beads, crystals, electronic humidifiers and hygrometers , but without the aid of technology, how did people like Churchill keep their cigars fresh?

in smaller humidors there was a crude humidification device that contains some sort of fiber inner lining between a metal screen and a solid sheet of thin aluminum, with about a quarter inch of space behind it.

many humidors were actually lined with copper. Im not sure abot the scale we are talkin with Churchill. it said thousands of cigars. im sure that was a walk in humidor and he had some sort of active humidification device... even then it was known that steam is moisture.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    Stew3223:

in smaller humidors there was a crude humidification device that contains some sort of fiber inner lining between a metal screen and a solid sheet of thin aluminum, with about a quarter inch of space behind it.

many humidors were actually lined with copper. Im not sure abot the scale we are talkin with Churchill. it said thousands of cigars. im sure that was a walk in humidor and he had some sort of active humidification device... even then it was known that steam is moisture.

I have a antique end table humidor from my grandfather that was lined w Copper. I am going to attempt to restore it once I have the time. Skill level should be fairly easy, ist just time.
    kuzi16:
    research time....

Way to lazy to do the research, but would love to read about it if you guys do the legwork.
    i couldnt find a damn thing.
    I actually visited the Cabinet War Rooms in London. It was where the UK did all their military planning during the Blitz. It was really cool. They sealed the rooms the day the war ended and turned them into a museum at some point. Keeping everything in tact as they left it. phones charts, plans teletypes etc.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    There were also brick or clay humidifiers... Pretty primitive things that were used for a long time before florist sponges...
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Although it's now probably trademarked by the cigar company that shares his name but I love the quote....

Something like:
    "I have very simple tastes, I am easily pleased with the very best!"
    +1

"Long ashes my friends."

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    That was an awesome link with some great pics. It must be hard to watch the boss smoke your salary by Tuesday, though.