Home Cigar 101

opus x cigar band

Why is it that Opus X cigars use a cigar industry equivalent to crazy glue on their cigar bands? The bands from Padron cigars comes off without any trace of the cigar wrapper. Good luck removing a Opus X cigar band without any cigar wrapper attached to it. Can someone please explain that to me?

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I have this happen with Fuentes. Can't recall having it on an Opus'.
  • calvin04calvin04 Posts: 5
    Happens to me all the time...maybe i need to buy the Opus X with the lightly glued option. I smoke a lot of padron's and they have the band gluing mastered.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    calvin04:
    Happens to me all the time...maybe i need to buy the Opus X with the lightly glued option. I smoke a lot of padron's and they have the band gluing mastered.
    You got that right. I smoked a Padron this morning, and the band slid off before I even lit it.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of my fuentes (not opus x) look like a snail crawled all over em, theres so much glue/pectin.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    If you wait until the burn is close to the band, it will warm up and soften the glue enough to remove it safely. Besides, you should leave it on just to show off.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    If you wait until the burn is close to the band, it will warm up and soften the glue enough to remove it safely. Besides, you should leave it on just to show off.
    I never remove the band until its about to get burned. Unless its already loose. Another trick I do is just hit the band where it's glued with a quick burst from a soft flame. Works well
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    beatnic:
    I never remove the band until its about to get burned. Unless its already loose. Another trick I do is just hit the band where it's glued with a quick burst from a soft flame. Works well
    very nice tricks there.
  • calvin04calvin04 Posts: 5
    thanks for all the input. it's always been a ritual for me to light the cigar, puff a few times and then remove the band. unfortunately with a opus, it's always a nerve wrecking time (haha). just wondering if this is a factory signature. if the band comes off easily then it's an authentic.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    calvin04:
    thanks for all the input. it's always been a ritual for me to light the cigar, puff a few times and then remove the band. unfortunately with a opus, it's always a nerve wrecking time (haha). just wondering if this is a factory signature. if the band comes off easily then it's an authentic.
    Interesting thought but I doubt it could be 100% in either direction since they are hand made. In general though I do believe that counterfeits are identifiable because of glue issues. For example I tried a counterfeit cuban in Jamaica once and the band was glued 360 with what appeared to be Elmers.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Rhamlin:
    beatnic:
    very nice tricks there.
    This is what I typically do as well. But I have nevee tried the soft flame to the band to loosen! Nice tip.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Nothing pisses me off more then a perfectly good cigar ruined by something as simple as too much glue on the band...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Nothing pisses me off more then a perfectly good cigar ruined by something as simple as too much glue on the band...
    agreed. i hate that so much.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Well here is the reason- the glue for cigar bands are made from Yuca(similier to Casava a root) powder. Naturally it doesn't leave any smell, odor or affect the taste of a cigar. I saw the Yuca solution Padron makes as a glue. I never been to Opux x factory so I don't know about their glue solution. Padron uses super fine Yuca powder and put extra attention to the solution. Opus X might not use the same super fine Yuca powder. Also, Opus X bands are wider as a result they need more glue. Padron bands are thinner and requires less glue space. This and the super fine Yuca glue solution could be the reason of the problem. just my two cents no scientific explanation. However, I never take off my band before light up my cigar. I allow the hit to dissolve the glue and take off the bands when the burn is closer. This works for me both for Padron and Opus X. I will add some pictures later.