Home Cigar 101

Temperature too high!

jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294

I work in Iraq and go home once every 3-5 months. On my last trip home my wife bought me a beautiful display humidor for our anniversary. I immediately filled it up with a bunch of cigars. All was well while I was home. The humidor was maintaining a good 70-70. About a week after I left we had a bit of a heatwave in my area and my wife said that the temperature in my humidor has gotten up to as high as 80 degrees.

Will a few days at such a high temperature kill my collection? What can I do?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nah.
    ive had my cigars there before. I would recommend getting the RH down to 65% if you are gunna have instances where the temp gets that high.

another tactic that i have used is to move the humidor to the basement if it gets too hot.

this year, though not that hot, i have gone with the tactic of trying to get as many hours in at work as i can so that i can feel OK crankin up the AC. so far its workin out for me.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I'd set it somewhere inside where it's not on an exterior wall, or near a window, and near an A/C vent. Too high temps can hatch the dreaded tobacco beetles.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    temperature alone doesnt kill a cigar, now hi temps and hi humidity, that will destroy them. we have had a pretty strong heat wave recently and my cigars have been any where from 90 to 65 in the last 7 days. im sure they are fine.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    *Shudders* I'm so paranoid about this now
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    Jihiggs, what part of Seattle are you from?
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    jpclotfelter:
    The part with a huge cloud of smoke over it!
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    Lasabar:
    jpclotfelter:
    The part with a huge cloud of smoke over it!
    Those aren't clouds of smoke...they're overcast skies!