Home Cigar 101

Whighter?

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Guy calls me up the other day and asks if my Honda 919 is still for sale. I tell him I musta sold that ride like five years ago, that these free motorcycle classified sites keep re-cycling their old ads forever just to make themselves look busy. He says, well, really, I just wanted to ask where you got that windshield in the picture. I tell him matter of fact that shield is hanging on the wall of my garage, cause the first thing I do every bike I get is I remove the effin windshield. It's a murdercycle for cripes sake ... it's sposed to be windy, duh. He says he just scored a 919 after years away from bikes (I smell a bride right there) and the wind is blowing him off of it. I tell him he needs to get a grip. No, literally, grab those two pipes and grip them puppies. Be glad you have a firm grip if ever you are about to go over the edge and need to grab at a last straw. But he is convinced he needs a windshield. So I shoot mine out to him. But I made the mistake of putting my return address on the package. Now he wants to shoot back at me. Somewhere along the line while we were chatting, I had mentioned I was mellowing out in the garage with a good Fonseca Arana cigar. So he orders up some Aranas at c.com and throws in a hygro (George, shoot me a PM and it's yours) and a lighter. I'm getting to the point. Have patience.

Well, up to now, I have had zero complaints at all just firing up my sticks with a wooden match. Just scored three boxes of those giant kitchen matches the other day, in fact. Take me seven years to run through them all. But early next week, I will own a Moretti Carbon Fiber Jet Torch lighter.

Lighter? Why? Kitchen matches are pretty low maintenance. They do light a cigar. Is there any real justification for using this torch, at least enough to make up for one more thing I'd have to fill up and clean and try and remember where I put it last; or should I just pass it on to someone who might actually think he needs to use it?

Why use one?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    How else are you going to light up that Fonseca on that bike without a windshield?
  • ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    I mainly use my torch to toast the foot before i light with a soft flame and i find it easier to correct burn issues with a torch when they occur.
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Matches burn fingers.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Roberto99:
    How else are you going to light up that Fonseca on that bike without a windshield?
    LMAO
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    If you put 1000 matches in 1000 different places, then you'll never lose them all. Only one lighter though, so...stick with matches.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have the patience for matches. I do like the cedar strips though. Mainly I use a trusty bic. Torches are neat and are best for corrections IMO. But they are a pain in the butt.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I've never used matches, but always have a torch and soft flame with me when I'm smoking. If it's even slightly windy I'm grabbing the torch. I have (err maybe "had"..where the hell did I put that thing) that same model and it works (worked?) great. But if you don't have wind problems there's no reason to use a torch over matches.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not a fan of pairing sulphur with my cigar......
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Ill use matches when I misplace one of my many lighters lol but yeah they burn me
    Money can't buy taste
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I have one of the Moretti's that I use as a backup because it's nice and reliable; but I love my Bugatti B-1, everything i need in one package. Most of the time it's too windy here to use matches or soft flame.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I prefer matches myself as well, I also have the nice long stick ones so you get the wood burning before you put flame to gar. My matches have never run out of butane either. For a buck 50 I get six boxes of 2.5 inch matches. I have a few at home, in the backpack, and one at each bar that I go to and nobody uses them but me. I've loaned far more ppl matches than I have borrowed lighters. But to be fair, they are a **** in the wind.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I'm a lighter ho so I tend to use different ones depending on my mood. I do know that cigars tend to taste better when lit in the right way.....right way meaning where you don't light your cigar with a flare type of lighter. Torches are good as long as you don't hold the fire of it right into the end of your cigar...that torch has a temp of around 1500 degree while a soft flame is around 900...so you get my drift when it comes to intensity of your lighting experience. Double torches, triple and quadruple lighters should come with a warning...can make your cigar taste like ash ( ass ) and usually when you light the cigar you draw up that heat all the way up thereby contaminating the rest of the tobacco with that acrid burnt tobacco taste. Take your time...let the heat from the flame light your cigar...yes...it takes a minute or two more but your taste buds will thank you.