Home General Discussion
Options

A Little Cigar History

I recently came across a newspaper article from the Lima News (Ohio) featuring a cigar manufacturer in the early 1900's which happened to be the " golden age of cigars in the United States. In 1915, the peak year of cigar manufacturing in the U.S., there were 15,732 cigar manufacturers, according to the Cigar History Museum." Anyway, the article is a good read and takes you back to simpler times. Follow the link. The Lubetsky brothers and local cigars

Comments

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds very interesting but that link doesn't work.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Sounds very interesting but that link doesn't work.
    This might be it.

http://www.limaohio.com/lifestyle/reminisce/article_daecc07c-b377-11e2-9314-0019bb30f31a.html
  • Options
    coachrumcoachrum Posts: 18
    Hmm...I don't know why. Sorry! I'll try to fix it.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an interesting little article.
  • Options
    Glad you enjoyed the read. I still don't know how to get the link from showing error after clicking on it. In reading the article, I wondered if the german immigrant, Henry Deisel has any connection to today's Deisel brand cigar? Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Posts: 278
    15 thousand manufacturers? Wow. And out of those 15000 I'm sure only like 1% are still around.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing the article with us. Very cool article. Every man woman and child must a been smokin' back then to support that many manufacturers.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    coachrum:
    In reading the article, I wondered if the german immigrant, Henry Deisel has any connection to today's Deisel brand cigar? Any thoughts?
    no connection at all.
    Deisel is an AJ Fernandez brand. his roots are in Cuba. the name is a coincidence.
  • Options
    Yeah you said it! What it must have been like.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice article, I enjoyed that.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Glad you enjoyed it.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Family Cigar from Popular Science 1920. 

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a good quarter cigar.......I smoked the other three quarters myself...- Chico Marx
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland