Home Cigar 101

Tight Draws

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
I hate having a tight draw, but I also hate waiting for it to open up. When I'm trying to see if the draw will open at all, I'm puffing too hard to get a little smoke, and then I'm making the cigar too hot. It's a vicious cycle.Is it possible to look at the foot of a stick and tell that it's rolled to tight? I looked at the head and it seemed that why, but that might just be placebo. I'm sure there are gars out there that look tight but end up having a lose draw.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Precisely why I have a draw tool. Not sure why it took me so long to buy one.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the foot would be the wrong end to examine for a tight draw. Even if it was the foot that was too tight, as soon as you burn past it, it'd open up. Sometimes you can tell by squeezing the whole cigar between your fingers. If it is super firm, it may be rolled too tight. Also, rolling bwtween fingers and listening for a slight pop or crackle can tell you if it's too moist. This can loosen up a tight draw as well, sometimes.

I need a good draw tool. Nothing pisses me off more that a cigar ruined by a tight draw. Sometimes you can smoke past a construction issues, but more times it seems like, the whole cigar is just rolled too tight. Im angry thinking about it!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    I think the foot would be the wrong end to examine for a tight draw. Even if it was the foot that was too tight, as soon as you burn past it, it'd open up. Sometimes you can tell by squeezing the whole cigar between your fingers. If it is super firm, it may be rolled too tight. Also, rolling bwtween fingers and listening for a slight pop or crackle can tell you if it's too moist. This can loosen up a tight draw as well, sometimes.

I need a good draw tool. Nothing pisses me off more that a cigar ruined by a tight draw. Sometimes you can smoke past a construction issues, but more times it seems like, the whole cigar is just rolled too tight. Im angry thinking about it!
    Oh Em Gee. I meant the head!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:

oh really? You haven't moved recently have you?
    catfishbluezz:
    Gray4lines:

Uh oh...THE SHERIFF is on patrol.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Rain:
    I hate having a tight draw, but I also hate waiting for it to open up. When I'm trying to see if the draw will open at all, I'm puffing too hard to get a little smoke, and then I'm making the cigar too hot. It's a vicious cycle.Is it possible to look at the foot of a stick and tell that it's rolled to tight? I looked at the head and it seemed that why, but that might just be placebo. I'm sure there are gars out there that look tight but end up having a lose draw.

Dude, I hope that wasn't the Cab I sent..... sounds like it wrecked your day! Kuzi once said, cigar smoking should make you relax.... it doesn't sound like you had that to say the least! I hope you dropped it and lit up another that was PERFECT!
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
    AVJim:
    Rain:

Dude, I hope that wasn't the Cab I sent..... sounds like it wrecked your day! Kuzi once said, cigar smoking should make you relax.... it doesn't sound like you had that to say the least! I hope you dropped it and lit up another that was PERFECT!
    You had not a hand in this, good sir.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Let me see if I can remember this correctly. One of the main causes of tight draws, aside from over humidifying, is an improperly bunched cigar. Someone explained it on here once, Alex or Kuzi, I forget.

Sometimes when a cigar is bunched, and if the buncher doesn't hold it correctly, or miss-aligns the tobacco, the cigar will end up having a tight draw once it's finished. Usually you can tell a stick that is like this by pinching near the head, or around the band area. If it's rock hard, and rest of the stick isn't, that's an indication that that stick may end up having a really tight draw. It isn't 100%, as I've had sticks that were hard around the band, and still smoked fine, but over the years it does seem to bear out. It's usually a very good indicator. YMMV.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Rain:
    AVJim:
    Rain:

You had not a hand in this, good sir.

I am really glad to hear that! I was just about ready to hop a plane to bring you a few sticks that would make you happy again!!!!
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • bwcarter54bwcarter54 Posts: 142
    catfishbluezz:
    Precisely why I have a draw tool. Not sure why it took me so long to buy one.
    I need one of those too. I can't find one on ccom so where can I get one?
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally thought this post was about tight granny panties... Please continue
    smoke em if you got em:
    I just threw up a litt----a lot.
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    smoke em if you got em:
    I just threw up a litt----a lot.
    my bad
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Gray4lines:

Not yet, bro!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually use a big paper clip straightened out. That usually does the trick if that don't work I got a top piece of a portable radio antenna that's sharpened on the end. This always gets the job done.
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Go to a Walmart in BBQ grill accessories. There is a $1.50 wire grill remover for gas grill tops. Strong SS and perfect circumference, about quarter of a clothes hanger in diameter but just as strong. Works like a charm because you have the wound spring like end to hold.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if you decide to us a draw tool ( or a walmart grill remover ) on a badly drawing cigar, do you let it go out first or do you fix it while lit? And how deep do you go into the head of the cigar? (I'm assuming you go in through the head.) Just passed the tight spot or all the way? (Maybe dumb questions but,.....)
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    So if you decide to us a draw tool ( or a walmart grill remover ) on a badly drawing cigar, do you let it go out first or do you fix it while lit? And how deep do you go into the head of the cigar? (I'm assuming you go in through the head.) Just passed the tight spot or all the way? (Maybe dumb questions but,.....)
    Poke the thing before you light. Prelight draw is the best time to test for tightness. All the way through is the preferred method I think.

There are no dumb questions.
    Bob Luken:
    Bob, whose lips are those?
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Bob Luken:
    Bob, whose lips are those?
    I saw this poster for Avalon cigars in my B&M. I thought it was a really cool photo. Then I googled Avalon cigars and this pic was available on their website as wallpaper. (avaloncigars.com) I don't know exactly who's lips they are. He might be a famous blues musician. Avalon was Mississippi based and I think they signed up some blues musicians in their promotional efforts. My B&M manager said Avalon was out of business now. But I haven't read or heard anyone else confirm this as fact.

I like this one too :)
    http://avaloncigars.com/images/wallpapers/full_bodied.jpg
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    Bob Luken:
    Poke the thing before you light. Prelight draw is the best time to test for tightness. All the way through is the preferred method I think.

There are no dumb questions.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I have 3 draw tools and each is a size for Robustos up to Churchills....they work great and I haven't had to deal with a bad cigar for the last 10 years. If you clip your cigar do a dry draw on it to see how open it is...sometimes you can massage it with your fingers to open up and other times you have to use something that will open it up...draw tool is your weapon of choice.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Bump.

I bought a bundle of Bahia Trinidads to try as my dog-walking cigar (want inexpensive, but tasty). The first 4 all had tight draw problems.  As you guys know, the equation is painfully simple:

tight draw = little smoke = little body and flavor

For a "value" smoke, I had read good things about the Trinidad, but the first 4 sucked.  After today's walk, I had some time before my wife was getting home so I decided to make it a 2-stick day.  I picked up another Trinidad, mostly to get rid of them.  When I cut it, the pre-light draw was great.  Lit it up and discovered that it's a very flavorful blend.  I mean, it was delightful.

I have some skinny round kabob skewers (the kind you'd use for fruit).  One of them just became my draw tool.

Thanks, guys.
    Kipling was a wise man.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Best of luck, @transplant, but be aware that a pointed end on a draw tool can lead to a split cigar. The point acts as a wedge would when splitting Fire wood. 

I always recommend a square end as in the old carpenter's trick of blunting the end of a nail to avoid splitting the lumber. I make my draw tools out of a straight piece of the thinnest coat hanger wire I can find and I cut it square across the end. 

The square cut forms a cutting edge that will cut and push tobacco ahead of it, leaving an air passage. It works for me.... B)
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, @jlmarta. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Kipling was a wise man.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okey Dokey, Bro. Here's one of my draw tools...image
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a tight draw I put the cigar into the fridge for a 1/2  hour or about 15 minutes in the freezer. Let it acclimate for about 10 minutes and it usually does the trick. No need to worry about poking through or damaging the wrapper.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I get a tight draw I will usually toss it and move on to another. There is nothing more that pisses me off about cigars than a cigar that won't draw.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09 said:
    With a tight draw I put the cigar into the fridge for a 1/2  hour or about 15 minutes in the freezer. Let it acclimate for about 10 minutes and it usually does the trick. No need to worry about poking through or damaging the wrapper.
    Definitely going to try this next time.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09 said:
    Definitely going to try this next time.
    As you know, they're hard to keep lit at very low temperatures.  ;-)
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis