Home Ratings & Reviews

Nicaragua 90 plus second

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Rode to McSherrystown PA today, 2 1/2 hours each way, three hours at the factory. Blustery and cold. Here it is Mem day weekend, I ought to be sweltering in T-shirt and shorts. Instead I had to wear boots and kneesocks, silk boxers, long sleeves, layers, leather jacket. And I still was chilled. Yet I am a year round rider inured by six months chill. Record setting chill all over this side of the Father of Waters. Where are those gorebull warming alarmists this weekend? I need one to chime in and tell me why it's cold because it's warm. Tell the gals selling pit beef in the fire house parking lot wearing knit hats and down vests.

At least the sky was bright and high. Annie the big beemer bagger went humming along happy as only a boxer oilhead can sound. In her trunk she carried a limited edition stogie stein made in the Vaterland. Number 445 out of 5.000 (why do those krauts use a dot instead of a comma? How do they differentiate between a thousand and a three place decimal?) The moment I admired that stein in Smith's office, Craig Smith said "Take it. It's just been gathering dust here forever." I did not hesitate.

The moment I hit La Hacienda Webmost, I took the stogie stein out, rinsed, and filled. Snapped a pic for the forum which you can find in the general section. Then I settled in with a stogie and stogie stein.

Rain sent me seven sticks this week asking for reviews. First up was this Nicaraguan 90 plus rated second. A deep chocolate glossy corona. The color was somewhere North of a Hershey bar. The feel was tight and oily. I inspected this thing from end to end and back to the other end. How it wound up rejected as a second is beyond me. The head was a perfect hemisphere. Consistently firm throughout. I do wish it had been more odorous; but that might be because my head was full of the cigar factory odor.. As it was, just a faint bitter chocolate. That distinct Nic thing. The skin tasted like the Indonesian bezuke wrapper I rolled my last batch with.

Uncapped in a snap. Bitter chocolate unlit draw. Torched up with one match toasting the foot. Lit up real bitter. Didn't care for it at all. But I let it set for a couple minutes and it settled right in. Rich flavor. Bitter smooth dark chocolate. Aromatic retro. Tons of volume for a corona. Kind of a horehound aroma to it. Perfect knife edge burn. Those who demand complexity would be disappointed. I do not. This stick was smooth and rich throughout. What you got at three minutes was exactly what you got an hour in. Thick oily smoke that hung together in globs. Meaty Nic ligero. No pepper sting.

It did have a sour aftertaste which did not appear until after it was out. I think it would have done better with rum than with beer. Toasty stinkfinger.

Three and a half stars out of five. I'd smoke another.

You can get tremendous value out of the right cheap stick.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I speak for all of us....thank you!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost:

im pretty sure you have smoked a few of the firsts from this factory.

i cant really prove it, but to me the blending style on these SCREAMS Oliva.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Rode to McSherrystown PA today, 2 1/2 hours each way, three hours at the factory. Blustery and cold. Here it is Mem day weekend, I ought to be sweltering in T-shirt and shorts. Instead I had to wear boots and kneesocks, silk boxers, long sleeves, layers, leather jacket. And I still was chilled. Yet I am a year round rider inured by six months chill. Record setting chill all over this side of the Father of Waters. Where are those gorebull warming alarmists this weekend? I need one to chime in and tell me why it's cold because it's warm. Tell the gals selling pit beef in the fire house parking lot wearing knit hats and down vests.

At least the sky was bright and high. Annie the big beemer bagger went humming along happy as only a boxer oilhead can sound. In her trunk she carried a limited edition stogie stein made in the Vaterland. Number 445 out of 5.000 (why do those krauts use a dot instead of a comma? How do they differentiate between a thousand and a three place decimal?) The moment I admired that stein in Smith's office, Craig Smith said "Take it. It's just been gathering dust here forever." I did not hesitate.

The moment I hit La Hacienda Webmost, I took the stogie stein out, rinsed, and filled. Snapped a pic for the forum which you can find in the general section. Then I settled in with a stogie and stogie stein.

Rain sent me seven sticks this week asking for reviews. First up was this Nicaraguan 90 plus rated second. A deep chocolate glossy corona. The color was somewhere North of a Hershey bar. The feel was tight and oily. I inspected this thing from end to end and back to the other end. How it wound up rejected as a second is beyond me. The head was a perfect hemisphere. Consistently firm throughout. I do wish it had been more odorous; but that might be because my head was full of the cigar factory odor.. As it was, just a faint bitter chocolate. That distinct Nic thing. The skin tasted like the Indonesian bezuke wrapper I rolled my last batch with.

Uncapped in a snap. Bitter chocolate unlit draw. Torched up with one match toasting the foot. Lit up real bitter. Didn't care for it at all. But I let it set for a couple minutes and it settled right in. Rich flavor. Bitter smooth dark chocolate. Aromatic retro. Tons of volume for a corona. Kind of a horehound aroma to it. Perfect knife edge burn. Those who demand complexity would be disappointed. I do not. This stick was smooth and rich throughout. What you got at three minutes was exactly what you got an hour in. Thick oily smoke that hung together in globs. Meaty Nic ligero. No pepper sting.

It did have a sour aftertaste which did not appear until after it was out. I think it would have done better with rum than with beer. Toasty stinkfinger.

You can get tremendous value out of the right cheap stick.

Addendum: The morning mouth on this thing is terrific. Reminds me of chocolate chip cookies. I am inclined to kick the rating up another half star just for the morning mouth. I am about to put some espresso to it as we speak. No wheeze, either.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've burned through about 100 of these so far, I'm positive that Kuzi's right about it being Oliva, (I sent him a couple when they first came out), and yes, rum is the better choice of beverage. Unless you go with something like Imperial Stout, which also brings out those chocolate flavors.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    I've burned through about 100 of these so far, I'm positive that Kuzi's right about it being Oliva, (I sent him a couple when they first came out), and yes, rum is the better choice of beverage. Unless you go with something like Imperial Stout, which also brings out those chocolate flavors.

These are definitely Olivas. The sis was selling them and had a description along the lines of, "I can't say who makes these, but all I can say is "oh I Live a wonderful life when I'm smoking these"". With the "oh I live a" part in italics. They're Oliva O, G, etc seconds. That's why I grabbed 15 of the Nicaraguan 90 rated F lanceros off the bid for $28. 15 Cain f lances for $28, not difficult to say yes please to that deal. Keep an eye out if you want these even dirt cheaper than they already are.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    My mistake, the F lanceros were called Nicaraguan ligero laced 2nds. So if you see these, they're Cain maduro, habano, Daytona, and Cain F, differentiated by calling them Nicaraguan ligero laced lovelies M, H, D, or F, followed by the size. If you like Cain by Oliva these are a steal price wise.