Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

A Drinking Man's Review

Memorial weekend. Not my best time. For those who've been to the montain you understand. Had some vets over to the Devil Dog. (my Man Cave) and was finishing of my 1973 VSQ Brandy. ( not my oldest or best by far) they left and backed up and hit my mailbox. It is encased in brick and almost knocked it over. LOL
Anyway I figured on taking the last glass of my vintage bottle to the porch for a smoke. I had a damaged Man of War Virtue so I cut it right behind the band and WOW. Good smoke. Paired magnificantly with my VSQ and lots of rich smoke.
I decided to have another smoke so I grabbed a Gurkha Fury. What a disappointment. Bad draw, no smoke, no taste. Period. Threw the last 1/3rd away. That Man of War Virtue however I'll have to get some more of them.
to all my brothers and sisters out there. Thank You. Hope you can handle the weekend better than I can.

Comments

• Options
    Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    where are you from in TX? I used to live in Ft. Worth.....i miss home.
  • Options
    pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Stephenville about 60 miles south west fo Ft Worth.
    I either like a cigar or not. I enjoyed the Virtue by Man of War. Left me wishin for another.
    I domnn't get like this all the time but I'll give you an honest how I like it or not review. LOL
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    ... Man of War Virtue... WOW. Good smoke.
    no surprise there
    pilgrimtex:
    so I grabbed a Gurkha Fury. What a disappointment. Bad draw, no smoke, no taste. Period. Threw the last 1/3rd away.
    .... also no surprise.

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Virtue FTW!
  • Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Agreed on MOW Virtue. Great smoke. Right now I am just past the 1/3rd mark on a Padron 3000 that a friend gifted to me. So far so good. Just fabulous!!!
  • Options
    You guys and your big bucks smokes. lol
    Like I said in another post I consider myself a bargain basement Hemingway.
    That said Still feeling the buzz I switched to a 1972 Seagrams Crown ( I have a few Bottles that I recently uncovered). Thought I'd let Gurkha redeem itself and grabbed a Spec Ops SRS Limited Edition. Well the crown swallowed ok but left a burning in the gut. Paired well with the spec ops maybe because I was 1/2 sheet to the wind.
    Anyway started ok good pair but the spec ops had trouble burning evenly and the wrapper started to flake. The ash was splitting on me. Very unusual. Just recently received from C.C and maybe hadn,t acclimated to my humidor yet. smoke drifted south and I ended it earlier than normal. Maybe my state of mind but I keep thinkin of the MofW virtue. The Spec ops also left a bite on the tongue or was it the Crown. LOL.
    Have a new humidor due on the 29th. Maybe that will help. Maybe its just this holiday. To my brothers on that Black Wall. Salute!
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Tex, gurkhas get trashed for a reason here, and most other forums. Just trying to save the pockets of people we consider brothers. Hansotia is a snake oil salesman, avoid them and never give your hard earned American money to gurkha products. End disclosure.
  • Options
    appreciate the heads up. have a few from a sampler. Always searchin. Any other heads up. Not much on wastin money you know. However; what good are reviews if they're all good. LOL
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blurr:
    Tex, gurkhas get trashed for a reason here, and most other forums. Just trying to save the pockets of people we consider brothers. Hansotia is a snake oil salesman, avoid them and never give your hard earned American money to gurkha products. End disclosure.
    Im a Gurkha fan! Well not if the fury though it was a disappointment. But the Centurian, Vintage 2001,Beast, Titan, Blue Steel, Spec Ops, Cellar Reserve are some pretty good smokes in my book. But Gurkha do seem to have a lot more than average draw problems so I always recommend dry boxing any of them for a day.
  • Options
    well its time for another review. for all you clowns that ignore my reviews. I don't care. br> Well it was a Gurkha Centurion Solomon. I alkso had too much "Torres" Spanish brandy. LOL. Good pairing for it. Smoked well. I even put the stub in a meerschaum pipe when it got too hot to hold. (the ultimate in approval) I look at that as a good smoke and by the way accceptable to you cigar afficiondos. LOL
    i'd order it again in the solomon.
    gonna have lunch (chick livers my Baby made) and maybe another after my lounge clears itself of the dreaded cigar smell.
    for those who aren't too proud; try visiting us on the Pipes section. For those who want their cake and eat it to. LOL
  • Options
    pilgrimtex:
    well its time for another review. for all you clowns that ignore my reviews. I don't care. br> Well it was a Gurkha Centurion Solomon. I alkso had too much "Torres" Spanish brandy. LOL. Good pairing for it. Smoked well. I even put the stub in a meerschaum pipe when it got too hot to hold. (the ultimate in approval) I look at that as a good smoke and by the way accceptable to you cigar afficiondos. LOL
    gonna have lunch (chick livers my Baby made) and maybe another after my lounge clears itself of the dreaded cigar smell.
    for those who aren't too proud; try visiting us on the Pipes section. For those who want their cake and eat it to. LOL

like I said. I had some of my Baby's chicken livers. UUUMh good. and finished with a Mn o War perfecto robusto. The other extreme of my range. Have a bunch for the motorcycle when I ride. goood for those gas stops.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    I have never tried a cigar nub in a pipe... does that really work? What about a whole cigar? Haha

I like some gurkhas (Titan) but they are more prone to burn problems/splitting/etc..
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Bad Daddy RabbitBad Daddy Rabbit Posts: 721
    pilgrimtex:
    Clowns?
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I'm too smoked to drink a cigar.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Bad Daddy Rabbit:
    pilgrimtex:
    Clowns?
    Really Walt, What's that all about ?
    I never saw any posts that were negative directed towards you. I find you a unique and refreshing member of the forum. That comment confuses me.
  • Options
    Coming from Walt, it's a term of endearment.
  • Options
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Oh wait a minute.. This is the Drunk's Review, I never had Spanish Brandy before so that may explain it. My apologies Walter. I love the show Breaking Bad and the way Mike would to call Mr. White, Walter all the time.
  • Options
    In my many travels when I was working I spent time in Espania at local bars trying different Brandys and eating their famous raw ham. (still prefer a good Prosciutto ham. Umm, Ham and melona) Oh, back to the thread. One Brandy I found is called 1886. Reminds me of those old spaghetti westerns where there is an old mission in a dried up town. You walk into it and there is an old cabinet on the far wall covered in cobwebs. You open the cabinet and it creaks of age and you inhale that old musty smell. Thats what 1886 reminds me of as I partake of it.
    I took out a Gurkha Viper yesterday. (came with a sample pack) You can suck your brains out trying to draw. Cut more off the head thinkin maybe I didn't clip enough. no good. Cut an inch off the end. no good. Threw it in the ash tray. Later cut another 1.5 inches off it. same thing. May have been a nice smoke but I couldn't tell. Didn't feel tightly wrapped either. Mad because it wasted precious space in my Humi.
  • Options
    Hate when that happens.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    In my many travels when I was working I spent time in Espania at local bars trying different Brandys and eating their famous raw ham. (still prefer a good Prosciutto ham. Umm, Ham and melona) Oh, back to the thread. One Brandy I found is called 1886. Reminds me of those old spaghetti westerns where there is an old mission in a dried up town. You walk into it and there is an old cabinet on the far wall covered in cobwebs. You open the cabinet and it creaks of age and you inhale that old musty smell. Thats what 1886 reminds me of as I partake of it.
    I took out a Gurkha Viper yesterday. (came with a sample pack) You can suck your brains out trying to draw. Cut more off the head thinkin maybe I didn't clip enough. no good. Cut an inch off the end. no good. Threw it in the ash tray. Later cut another 1.5 inches off it. same thing. May have been a nice smoke but I couldn't tell. Didn't feel tightly wrapped either. Mad because it wasted precious space in my Humi.
    This is how Gurkha earned its stellar reputation here. I have to laugh at the "Rolls Royce" of cigars, I once knew a fellow with a Rolls Royce, couldn't get work done on it, as the company reps he'd talk to would tell him "Sir, your car is a Rolls Royce, it doesn't do that."
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    This is how Gurkha earned its stellar reputation here. I have to laugh at the "Rolls Royce" of cigars, I once knew a fellow with a Rolls Royce, couldn't get work done on it, as the company reps he'd talk to would tell him "Sir, your car is a Rolls Royce, it doesn't do that."
    LOL! Your car isn't broken, you just don't know how to drive it.

Your cigar was perfect, you just don't know how to properly smoke! (I kid).

Do you have a draw poker? Paper clips will work, but I have just been turned on to a neat little tool that Dustin (Catfish) gave me. Look up "Havanna Savers"
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Amos Umwhat:
    LOL! Your car isn't broken, you just don't know how to drive it.

Your cigar was perfect, you just don't know how to properly smoke! (I kid).

Do you have a draw poker? Paper clips will work, but I have just been turned on to a neat little tool that Dustin (Catfish) gave me. Look up "Havanna Savers"

I have a draw poker. Its called a machete.
  • Options
    pilgrimtex:

Darn expletive-expletive, nothin good ever stays the same. My Larios 1886 is now called 1866. Seems the distiller Larios was acquired by Fortune Brands Group and they have changed the name of my Brandy to 1866.
    image Review
    A Gran Reserva brandy, distinguished and highly prized for its great balance and smoothness, as well as standing for over 100 years of tradition and quality. (Although this brandy was traditionally known as Larios 1886, after the brand's acquisition by the Fortune Brands group, this classic Malaga brandy now bears the name 1866.) A mahogany colour, the nose displays an arresting aroma of old wood. It is balanced on the palate, with sweet and spicy notes and nuances from oak-ageing.
    Another Bummer is that its not available in the US.
    Malaga is a beautiful seaside resort community on the Meditaranean sea.
  • Options
    I changed the name of this thread to A Drinking Man's review because I'm not really a drunk. LOL
    Today I decided to smoke a Man-O-War Torpedo. Great smoke and I paired it with a new bottle of Campari.
    Great smoke, good even light; than I was hit by an uneven burn. I gave it time to self correct being mellow on the Campari. I looked at the ash and there was the appearance of a knot like in wood at the hot spot. I waited longer but now that the cigar burned evenly the unevenness did not go away so I helped it along. From then on it was a pleasure. Again my theory in that its all in the making.
    The cigar was so pleasurable that I finished it off in my Meerschaum to completely enjoy it.
    The campari is made in Milano Italia. Got to like it in Italy. Only 24% alcohol by volume so you can enjoy it on an empty stomach as I just did.
    A unique and unmistakable recipe has characterized Campari, the aperitif par excellence, for over 150 years. The inimitable Campari recipe, used as the basis of many cocktails served worldwide, has been kept the same since its inception and remained a closely guarded secret, passed down over the years. Campari was the result of Gaspare Campari’s experiments in concocting new beverages. It is still produced today with the same ingredients and following the confidential recipe which remains a secret known only to the very few people in charge of the production process. Campari is the result of the infusion of herbs, aromatic plants and fruit in alcohol and water; these last two being the recipe?s only known ingredients. Many have guessed simply at the number of ingredients: some say there are 20 or 60, but others list the ingredients at 80. Over time, appreciation and respect has grown for this historic and unique brand, which is now recognised and appreciated worldwide. The history of Campari began in Novara in 1860. About forty years later, Campari's first production plant was opened in Sesto San Giovanni and the company began to export the brand overseas. It was the beginning of a success story that today still has no sign of stopping. Uniqueness, Passion, Prestige, Internationality In continuous evolution, an image of fashion, international, and constantly cutting-edge, with a style that defines and precedes trends and fashions. Campari persistently follows sophisticated atmospheres that are stylish and emotional. Campari has always been distinguishable thanks to its style, class and elegance
    Stay safe my friend. LOL
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I like to keep a few MOW in the humi. They won't dazzle you with exotic flavors, but are a good hearty smoke, IMO. As to the Campari, I am clueless.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    For me campari is not in my wheelehouse,, Its an acquired taste,, I prefer anisette or sambuca for an apertif. Enjoy
  • Options
    Niether is Burgemeister. Hey just finished two in a row. Tossed out the first prematurely. It was a G2. Then I grabbed my favorite; a Man o War Puro Authentico. A few drinks and my Baby is home for the next 10 days. Perfect.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    Niether is Burgemeister. Hey just finished two in a row. Tossed out the first prematurely. It was a G2. Then I grabbed my favorite; a Man o War Puro Authentico. A few drinks and my Baby is home for the next 10 days. Perfect.
    Burgermeister??? LMBO,, too funny!! Yes you are correct neither is. However it "is" what I prefer, as do many other Italians. Technically yes its a digestive (after the meal) where an apertif is prior, Pardonne-moi for my egregious faux pas. Does this mean I'm no longer invited to The Devil Dog Bar Grill and Lounge????
  • Options
    No way Man. You is a BOTL. You are welcome anytime my fine friend.