Home Cigar 101

75% Humidity in 100 ct. Humidor

Hello everyone, this is my first posting, joined the site the other day. This may be a newbie question, but here goes. I have recently purchased a nice glass-top 100 ct. humidor and I'm really enjoying it. I do have one concern though, the RH% is sitting consistent at 75% and the temp is sitting at a consistent 74 degrees. I've read that it's bad to go over 73% due to mold/beetles. I haven't ran into any of that yet, but I'm a little concerned. Should I be?

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. 75%RH with a temp of 74 doesn't sound too bad. I think you're safe from beetles. Are you sure your hygrometer is calibrated? Check out the search function for 'salt test' if you aren't sure how to calibrate the hygro. Or put in some dry beads to soak up the extra RH or take out some humidifiers if you aren't using beads.
  • ryanbishryanbish Posts: 10
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm using a digital hygro and I did the salt test before I started using it. I did just change the battery on it though, but it seems to be working alright. I don't have any gel or humidifiers in there because I noticed that it was creeping higher than 78% and I pissed my pants a little.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316

You need to open it more often! :)

• Another factor is how many cigars are being stored. if you only have a dozen cigars in a 100 count humidor you will typically see the RH go up a little bit.
  • SgtRickSgtRick Posts: 75
    ryanbish:
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm using a digital hygro and I did the salt test before I started using it. I did just change the battery on it though, but it seems to be working alright. I don't have any gel or humidifiers in there because I noticed that it was creeping higher than 78% and I pissed my pants a little.
    I would re-calibrate the hydo just to eliminate that as a problem. I use Heartfelt beads in my vino and it is just fine. BTW....after you fix that small problem go change your drawers, you'll feel better.