Home Pipes

What's in your rotation?

J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
I thought it might be fun to see what everyone is consistently smoking.

I have 2 blends that are always in my weekly rotation. They are Peterson's Sherlock Holmes and Peter Stokkebye's Proper English. SH is down to about 1 tin a month, PE is only a few ounces too. My taste may be changing with PE as my desire to smoke it is getting less. SH is just a special smoke for me I love it.

Currently I am also smoking GH's Kendal KY, Solani's 660, and The Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club's Great Hiatus. I try to smoke something new every week or 2. In this case Great Hiatus is the new element.

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Captain Black Royal is the only consistent blend I've been smoking lately. It is, for me, a great morning smoke. I've been looking for other blends, liked the Sherlock Holmes series and Frogmortons, and recently, thanks to Walt's influence, have tried the McClelland 5110 Dark English along with a couple others. I'm planning to keep trying some things, mixing a little, etc., but I suspect that Dark English is going to be a regular for me. I've been through a couple tins of the Balkan luxury this year, and like it quite well, but would prefer something in bulk. As I mentioned elsewhere, the McClellands Balkan didn't quite "do it" for me, although it was OK, just not what I'd been looking for. From the descriptions, Stokebyes Balkan Supreme will probably be my next try in that arena

I noticed that the McConnell line has tins of Perique, Latakia, etc., puros, so to speak, but is a little too much for my wallet at the moment. This too shall pass.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Rotation???? What's a rotation???? LOL.
    I have my personal blends that I smoke day in and day out. From when I get up to when I go to bed. Unlike others, I only buy in bulk. I would go broke buying tins since I buy in up to 5lb bags. Yes I smoke a lot of pipes.
    I also have a plethora of straight tobaccos for blending. I usually order them in 1 and 2 lb bags pending the amount I use in a blend. Also some 3lb bags as well. Rotation? Don't know the meaning. LOL
    Click on the picture.
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    Regulars right now are FM on the Bayou, FM Cellar, Drama Reserve, Classic Samsun. I'm occasionally mixing in new things or old ones I'm trying to finish off to make room.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Amos Umwhat:
    The Captain Black Royal is the only consistent blend I've been smoking lately. It is, for me, a great morning smoke. I've been looking for other blends, liked the Sherlock Holmes series and Frogmortons, and recently, thanks to Walt's influence, have tried the McClelland 5110 Dark English along with a couple others. I'm planning to keep trying some things, mixing a little, etc., but I suspect that Dark English is going to be a regular for me. I've been through a couple tins of the Balkan luxury this year, and like it quite well, but would prefer something in bulk. As I mentioned elsewhere, the McClellands Balkan didn't quite "do it" for me, although it was OK, just not what I'd been looking for. From the descriptions, Stokebyes Balkan Supreme will probably be my next try in that arena

I noticed that the McConnell line has tins of Perique, Latakia, etc., puros, so to speak, but is a little too much for my wallet at the moment. This too shall pass.

You might want to pick up a couple of ounces of Proper English from Stokkebye. 5110 is very good but it could never be an all day smoke (not that I get to smoke all day anyway). PE would be one that I could. I have not got around to Balkan Supreme yet but it is on my wish list too. If you pick it up let me know what you think.
    pilgrimtex:

I have my personal blends that I smoke day in and day out. From when I get up to when I go to bed. Unlike others, I only buy in bulk. I would go broke buying tins since I buy in up to 5lb bags. Yes I smoke a lot of pipes.

I also have a plethora of straight tobaccos for blending. I usually order them in 1 and 2 lb bags pending the amount I use in a blend. Also some 3lb bags as well. Rotation? Don't know the meaning. LOL

Click on the picture.

Tex, I could never come close to smoking as much as you do! LOL how long does it take you to go through 5 lbs?!
    mgk2020:
    Regulars right now are FM on the Bayou, FM Cellar, Drama Reserve, Classic Samsun. I'm occasionally mixing in new things or old ones I'm trying to finish off to make room.

How are you liking Drama Reserve? That is one I really enjoy.
    It's a trip. I've never smoked anything quite like it and am not even sure how to describe it. Not very helpful to those that haven't tried it, I know. lol I'd recommend everyone give it a try though. It's unique. While I understand all the reviews comparing it to olive oil, I'd say its likeness is more in sensation than flavor. Maybe? Yet it doesn't leave an oily coating, so that may give the wrong impression too. As I said, it's a trip. lol. I'm thinking I'll keep a tin or more on hand all the time though because I do like it. The Classic Samsun is good too. More traditional experience, but if you smoke slowly it has a great subtle nutty flavor that really changes over the course of a bowl. Another new favorite. Those are the highest rated in the Grand Orientals line, but they really have me tempted to get the rest. Thanks again for the recommendation that lead me to them.
    I am gald you liked it. It is just a different blend from what I usually smoke. I think it is a good change to add into the rotation once in a while.
    J.S.:
    pilgrimtex:
    Click on the picture.
    Tex, I could never come close to smoking as much as you do! LOL how long does it take you to go through 5 lbs?!

About a month.
    If 5110 is a little too strong for an all day smoke you can blend in some of my Walt's original or get some bulk light Burley or yellow Virginia and some Cavendish to add to it. This will tame the smoke and bring the cost even lower since the price per ounce is less.
    By the way I wonder if I caused a run on 5110. LOL
    I received a shipment yesterday but there was no 5110 in it. I ordered 2 lbs. I then saw an email saying they had run out and it was on backorder. By the way they were giving away a free 50gram tin of the frog with a purchase of McClelland bulk over a certain dollar value. Maybe lowering their inventory on the Frog? LOL.
    pilgrimtex:
    I received a shipment yesterday but there was no 5110 in it. I ordered 2 lbs. I then saw an email saying they had run out and it was on backorder. By the way they were giving away a free 50gram tin of the frog with a purchase of McClelland bulk over a certain dollar value. Maybe lowering their inventory on the Frog? LOL.
    Well, drat! I was planning on some more of that, now that I've tried it. Any idea how long "backorder" usually takes?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    pilgrimtex:
    Well, drat! I was planning on some more of that, now that I've tried it. Any idea how long "backorder" usually takes?

That was on the 15th and they had submitted their order. If McClelland had it in stock it should be in the warehouse in a couple of days. That's my guess anyway.
    They claim 2-3 days, but that's seldom correct. I've never had to wait more than 2 weeks, for what that's worth.
    mgk2020:
    They claim 2-3 days, but that's seldom correct. I've never had to wait more than 2 weeks, for what that's worth.
    Thanks, both, good to know.

pilgrimtex:
    J.S.:
    pilgrimtex:

Click on the picture.

About a month.

If 5110 is a little too strong for an all day smoke you can blend in some of my Walt's original or get some bulk light Burley or yellow Virginia and some Cavendish to add to it. This will tame the smoke and bring the cost even lower since the price per ounce is less.

About a month!? That's about 60 lbs. a year! That's about what my 2nd grader weighs!
    J.S.:
    About a month!? That's about 60 lbs. a year! That's about what my 2nd grader weighs!

I'll give you a record of my orders from 1 source since 12/30:
    12/30 - 100 oz
    2/25 - 100 oz
    3/28 - 100 oz
    4/25 - 100 oz
    5/9 - 64 oz
    6/14 - 80 oz
    6/28 - 85 oz
    7/5 - 52 oz
    7/10 - 68 oz
    7/14 - 64 oz
    7/18 - 64 oz
    These numbers are totals and do not list the number of tobaccos ordered. They avg 4.98lbs/orderand 7.83lbs/month.
    I give tobacco to a friend of mine on a regular basis about 1 1/2 - 2 lbs/mo.
    That's why I buy bulk and also blend my own. I feel I do a better job for my palate than suppliers do.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Regulars? Shiiiit... Ain't there yet. This is my first cob with some Frog Morton's. been liking 1776 and straight burley. Still looking for a rich smoke really. Actually going to buy some vanilla tomorrow as well. I need to get storage for all these tobaccos, and two more pipes. Here's a beard pic to keep up with Walt...I'm coming for ya bro!
    catfishbluezz:
    Regulars? Shiiiit... Ain't there yet. This is my first cob with some Frog Morton's. been liking 1776 and straight burley. Still looking for a rich smoke really. Actually going to buy some vanilla tomorrow as well. I need to get storage for all these tobaccos, and two more pipes. Here's a beard pic to keep up with Walt...I'm coming for ya bro!

Nice Fuzz. Do you Blow Dry It? LOL
    pilgrimtex:
    J.S.:

I'll give you a record of my orders from 1 source since 12/30:
    12/30 - 100 oz
    2/25 - 100 oz
    3/28 - 100 oz
    4/25 - 100 oz
    5/9 - 64 oz
    6/14 - 80 oz
    6/28 - 85 oz
    7/5 - 52 oz
    7/10 - 68 oz
    7/14 - 64 oz
    7/18 - 64 oz
    These numbers are totals and do not list the number of tobaccos ordered. They avg 4.98lbs/orderand 7.83lbs/month.
    I give tobacco to a friend of mine on a regular basis about 1 1/2 - 2 lbs/mo.
    That's why I buy bulk and also blend my own. I feel I do a better job for my palate than suppliers do.

Pic of my inventory. Not all my cigars are shown. Have another 150 Count humidor not shown.