Home Pipes
Options

Pre-pipe buying questions

The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
Ok I've been reading on starting up smoking a pipe . Unfortunately there isn't a pipe 101 like there is in the cigar part of the forums . I do have a few questions if anyone could help me answer , besides how long the session will last is there any difference in how large the bowl head is? Also is there a difference in length of stems? And I noticed a rolled paper in the stem of a few pipes I looked at , does it really matter if I leave the paper in there or should I take it out ?

Comments

• Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    OK, lots of things that you need to consider. The size of the bowl does determine how long you will smoke but there is more to it than just that. For example, with a VA, I like a deep bowl that is narrow, it keeps the surface area down and seems to keep the tobacco from smoking as hot as when I smoke VA in a wider bowl. It is something that you will have to play with a little a good standard bowl should work OK to start with. Wider works great for almost everything VA's are the exception for me. Wider also seems to allow a little more flavor IMO. Other than that bowl size and shape have no major impact on the smoke. Stem length also affects how cool the smoke is but only a little. So a long stem the further the smoke travels and the cooler it is but this is relative. Rolled paper in the stem or between the stem and the shank. If it is down the stem I would think it would just be a pipe cleaner. If it is between the stem and down the shank it is a filter. Depending on the pipe it does matter. Taking the filter out will make it smoke wetter unless you have one that takes a holder to prevent this.
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Sorry for the long lines. I tried to break it up but I guess I need to find the how to edit posts thread again.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to add a little. Bowl sizes are like ring gauge, you'll find your preferrence. I'm with J.S., mid to narrow range is best for me.
    With cigars, you bought a larger humidor. With pipes, you'll buy more pipes. Since you can spend anywhere from $40 - $400 easily, what's the difference?
    Who made it? That's part of the cost sometimes. Also, there are different grades of briar, #1 is the old, hard, heavy, last forever but hard to work briar, #3 is, I think, the lowest. Lighter and therefore less durable. Then there are meerschaums, also with various grades and manufacturing techniques. I think that someone talked about those in the "Pipe Tips for Cigar Guys" thread, which I started as a counterpoint to Cigar 101.

One of my favorite pipes, full right now, cost me $19.95 on sale, I've smoked it regularly for 10 years. One of my other favorites cost me $90 in 1985, bought in Europe, #1 briar, still smoking perfectly. Point is, you don't have to spend a fortune, but if you do, it lasts forever. And, if you don't, it lasts nearly forever.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the insight , I've been on eBay looking all around 20 I seen a Peterson Dublin I think I might go for still has 3 days left on it tho