Home Ratings & Reviews

Liga Privada No.9

I haven't written a new post in a bit so I thought today would be a good day to post because today I have my first Liga Privada No.9!! I first bought this stick because it seemed a lot of people were hyping it up big time! Then while letting it rest in my humi, I started reading all these people saying that the cigar is not worth the price tag and isn't as great tasting as it was all hyped up to be. Well this morning I pulled not from my humidor and headed out for an hour long drive to a buddies. I grabbed an iced coffee before getting on the free way and lit up the stick. (Pic here: http://i.imgur.com/zlHkiXR.jpg ) Let me say this... I'm very happy I bought this stick! It was smooth, woody, leathery, very mild spice when I got some ... And had the best burn and draw of any cigar I've had yet ! Perhaps I got the one perfect No.9 out of a thousand? I don't know but I will buy another one to find out ! This cigar does come with a complaint from me ...... I want more and it's a $13 stick so that means its not going to be a smoke I have very often. Unfortunately my finances for the time being are going to cut into my cigar money in the sense that I won't be buying 13 dollar sticks all that often lol. But If anyone has been deterred by the people saying that its not all that its hyped up to be, try it! I recommend pairing it with the coffee cause it was fantastic and this was the first cigar I was able to do this to http://i.imgur.com/UaXaUam.jpg !!! It was a excellent smoke till the very end ! I can't wait to try more in that line up! I think the T52 is next on my list ! Anyways bed time for this guy ! Happy smoking friends!

Comments

• Ag03Ag03 Posts: 26
    I apologize for the brick of text ... Not yet familiar with the formatting :/
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Glad you liked it.
    One God, One Truth
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I'd be one of those people you speak of. Wait till one blows up on you, and the $13 will feel like a smack inthe face. They do pair well with Islay scotchs and the heavy peat. Coffee as well, I always liked them in the morning.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Edited as best I could. To learn how to do it yourself, just click "Quote" and look at what I added in the pointy brackets.

Note: I don't know how to resize photos in HTML, but I'm pretty sure whatever you're using to host them will have a way to do it which should automatically change it here.
    Ag03:
    I haven't written a new post in a bit so I thought today would be a good day to post because today I have my first Liga Privada No.9!! I first bought this stick because it seemed a lot of people were hyping it up big time! Then while letting it rest in my humi, I started reading all these people saying that the cigar is not worth the price tag and isn't as great tasting as it was all hyped up to be.

Well this morning I pulled not from my humidor and headed out for an hour long drive to a buddies. I grabbed an iced coffee before getting on the free way and lit up the stick.

Let me say this... I'm very happy I bought this stick!
    It was smooth, woody, leathery, very mild spice when I got some ...
    And had the best burn and draw of any cigar I've had yet !
    Perhaps I got the one perfect No.9 out of a thousand? I don't know but I will buy another one to find out !
    This cigar does come with a complaint from me ...... I want more and it's a $13 stick so that means its not going to be a smoke I have very often. Unfortunately my finances for the time being are going to cut into my cigar money in the sense that I won't be buying 13 dollar sticks all that often lol.

But If anyone has been deterred by the people saying that its not all that its hyped up to be, try it! I recommend pairing it with the coffee cause it was fantastic and this was the first cigar I was able to do this to!!!

It was a excellent smoke till the very end !
    I can't wait to try more in that line up! I think the T52 is next on my list !

Anyways bed time for this guy !

Happy smoking friends!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    I love the stick, and have been lucky not to get any of the exploding variety. If you liked that, try the T-52....

• gio164gio164 Posts: 180
    My favorite stick, never had a bad one and I have smoked a lot of them.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    I'd be one of those people you speak of. Wait till one blows up on you, and the $13 will feel like a smack inthe face. They do pair well with Islay scotchs and the heavy peat. Coffee as well, I always liked them in the morning.
    I'm with Catfish on this one. I think they have great flavor, but their quality control leaves alot to be desired. Out of probably about ten I have smoked, I have had two with severe tunneling, one plugged so badly I couldn't even draw on it, and one straight exploded about a third of the way in.

If these were $40 bundles, I could somewhat justify the inconsistency in construction, but at $12-15 a stick? No way. If you are charging premium prices, premium products are expected, ALL the time. Considering almost half the LP9's I had had severe issues, I have been pretty reluctant to spend any more money on that line.

That being said, I have smoked a few T52's and never had any issues with them. I like them more than the LP9's too, flavor wise. Just a great habano. The Undercrowns have also been performing well so far, I picked up a 10-pack for $50 from Ccom a while back.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    catfishbluezz:
    I'm with Catfish on this one. I think they have great flavor, but their quality control leaves alot to be desired. Out of probably about ten I have smoked, I have had two with severe tunneling, one plugged so badly I couldn't even draw on it, and one straight exploded about a third of the way in.

If these were $40 bundles, I could somewhat justify the inconsistency in construction, but at $12-15 a stick? No way. If you are charging premium prices, premium products are expected, ALL the time. Considering almost half the LP9's I had had severe issues, I have been pretty reluctant to spend any more money on that line.

That being said, I have smoked a few T52's and never had any issues with them. I like them more than the LP9's too, flavor wise. Just a great habano. The Undercrowns have also been performing well so far, I picked up a 10-pack for $50 from Ccom a while back.
    I've had issues with the UC as well. The No 9 and FFP I had the most issues with. I've had enough bad experiences to give up on them. No reason any cigar of that quality should explode when I have Padron right next to them that NEVER have an issue. I don't like Fuente, but their quality is indicative of the price.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I recently had my first No.9 as well and thought it was fantastic. I dislike the possibility that they restrict the production to keep the price high, but oh well.

The Undercrown was a disappointment for me, of the three I have had one burned even, but tried to go out repeatedly, one tunneled like the mole men, and the third canoed badly. I'm not enough of a fan fo the flavor to buy more than I already have.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    It's no secret I'm a LP fan. I have prob smoked 75-100 LPs and easily 100+ Undercrowns. I have maybe had 5-7 sub par experiences in that entire time. Either I'm super lucky or I just got better boxes than some guys I guess. I know some folks have had bad luck with em, but until I do, I'll keep on smoking em.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've smoked 5 and only one ever wowed me. The rest were just ok. I think the Undercrown is a much better smoke. And much more consistent stick to stick.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a de fan and won't support them...so all my experiences have been the same. But I do hear a ton of problems with them and the money won't kill me but the product might lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • Ssirota8Ssirota8 Posts: 11
    Prob gonna light one up tonight...never heard any bad about them until now. Sure hope I don't experience any of the tunneling, or blowing up!
  • Ssirota8Ssirota8 Posts: 11
    Finally got around to lighting a #9 up.  It is def one of the best cigars I have smoked so far.  With that being said I haven't smoked many.  I've smoked mostly Rocky Patels.  The #9 has a full or heaviness without the mouth burn I have gotten from other mild to full sticks.  Is that related to the quality of the tobacco?  All in all I think I prefer something just a bit lighter with some butterynes.  At the end of the day I will def be buying some more of these!  
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The burn is the pepper flavor. If your interested in lighter and creamier pick up a couple different Connecticut wrapped sticks. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoking my first LP no 9.  I must say, the flavor is excellent.  I've had this in my humidor for about 3 months.  Burn so far on the first third is like a razor, with a solid white ash.  The aromas coming off are divine.  Very smooth.  taste of coffee and leather?  Shucks, I aint gots da smarts to describe it.  all I know is it gets a thumbs up from me!

Time to go shopping for a box.....   :)
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just keep your eyes close when you look at the price.  Having said that I just got 3/4 of a box at $11 a stick and that is a pretty good price for them.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

I have smoked everything in the LP line.

I like the 9 over the T52, the T52 has a more wild, unrefined taste if that makes sense. The UF13 is like a mix of the 9 and T52, leaning more toward the 9. I love Papa's Fritas. Don't care for Pigs but Dirty Rats are solid.

Undercrown are consistent but boring IMO. Not much complexity, but if consistency is your thing you will love Undercrown. I would take a La Herencia Core over an Undercrown any day. Similar profile but more complex.

• cigars954cigars954 Posts: 1
    I thought that it was a pretty good smoke myself...
  • subtlehustlesubtlehustle Posts: 33
    I got one as a gift. It was a memorable smoke. Had the 52,  Not as good. I gotta get more
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    I like all the LP line except the T52. 
    Probably the dirty rat / ratzillas are my favorites. But the #9's, pigs and L40's are a close second. 
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still love the #9's... Way too pricey!
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Love the T52 and the 9 (edge to the T52) but agree with the pricing.  Manufactured "rarity" pisses me off.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    If you like #9's, buy a handful of the petit corona Liga Privada Papas Fritas. 
    They have the same wrapper as the #9 and you can find them for $3-4 a stick. 
    I definitely smoked a bunch this winter because they're a great, quick smoke that still tastes great and satisfies that broadleaf craving.

ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Greybeard137Greybeard137 Posts: 15
    Smoked my first  Papas Fritas this evening. It was one of the most flavorful cigars I have ever had. Blew me away! 
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the No. 9 and the Papas Fritas
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    If you like #9's, buy a handful of the petit corona Liga Privada Papas Fritas. 
    They have the same wrapper as the #9 and you can find them for $3-4 a stick. 
    I definitely smoked a bunch this winter because they're a great, quick smoke that still tastes great and satisfies that broadleaf craving.

I agree with youngryan216; the Papas Fritas are are great short smoke that seems to avoid what I am hearing are the main quality issues with the #9s.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I liked the one #9 I had a ton.  I'll smoke Undercrown, but none seem as good as the first couple I had when I first started.  Price keeps me away from most of this, including the Papas, when there are other short smokes I really like. 

$25/four smalls compared to $26/six Davidoff Primeros (I like the Nicaraguan).  I know the Primeros is a smaller cigar than the Papas, but I can get Padron Delicias Maduros in a 5er for about the same price or less for the smaller Padron Corticos.  Cohiba black corona may be a bit overpriced, but their pequenos are a bang for the buck at $13/six. 

And there's the whole shavings issue with the Papas Fritas...

I'm not entirely down on DE.  I liked the #9 and the UC.  MUWAT is a decent smoke, and I actually enjoyed the Baitfish if we're talking small cigars.  I thought the one Herrera Esteli I smoked was great.  Now that they're with Joya, there's a couple there I enjoy, too---BRING BACK THE CELEBRACION!--but their pricing just seems off to me.

They've also produced the only 2 cigars I'd be glad to see banned by the FDA for sheer nastiness.  Both were in the natural line--enuff said.  Tried 2 Acids and couldn't stand them, either, but that's the infused effect.  Oh and KFC should stay chicken.  In other words, they have some good but overpriced smokes, but they also have pretty much all the cigars at the bottom of my list, too.  Something for everyone, I guess.

Slightly off-topic rant over.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I'm a liga guy. Like the 9, but love the dirty rats and ratzillas. 
  • EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liga 9 is the king... but his lighter brother: the velvet rat is a pretty tasty stick if you can find it ... super smooth... lots of smoke... light retro, not as much flavor as the king but it has a place in my heart