Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar Smoking Dilemma

As i am sure you all well know that smoking tobacco is not good for you, we still smoke anyway.
I still smoke as well, but i have been looking at various medical org. sites (NIH, Mayo clinic, etc. ) and i am becoming increasingly convinced that i should stop smoking. The statistics are scary, and also realistic. I dont want to have part of my jaw removed because of some type of oral cancer, let alone die!
So what do you guys do?
Will you quit some day?
Are you aware of the risk?
DONT YOU WISH SMOKING WAS GOOD FOR YOU?! HAHA

Perhaps moderation is key here. Let me know what you guys think.

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dinugs:
    As i am sure you all well know that smoking tobacco is not good for you, we still smoke anyway. I still smoke as well, but i have been looking at various medical org. sites (NIH, Mayo clinic, etc. ) and i am becoming increasingly convinced that i should stop smoking. The statistics are scary, and also realistic. I dont want to have part of my jaw removed because of some type of oral cancer, let alone die! So what do you guys do? Will you quit some day? Are you aware of the risk? DONT YOU WISH SMOKING WAS GOOD FOR YOU?! HAHA Perhaps moderation is key here. Let me know what you guys think.
    Find me a study that shows occasional (even one a day) cigar smoking leads to statistically significant increases in health risk. Pay attention to what they control for, I.e. inhaling, previous cigarette smoker, number cigars per day.

I will not say smoking is good for you, but it is not as bad as you may suspect (for occasional cigar smokers who dont inhale ). Dont read summaries, find the original source study
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    dinugs:
    As i am sure you all well know that smoking tobacco is not good for you, we still smoke anyway. I still smoke as well, but i have been looking at various medical org. sites (NIH, Mayo clinic, etc. ) and i am becoming increasingly convinced that i should stop smoking. The statistics are scary, and also realistic. I dont want to have part of my jaw removed because of some type of oral cancer, let alone die! So what do you guys do? Will you quit some day? Are you aware of the risk? DONT YOU WISH SMOKING WAS GOOD FOR YOU?! HAHA Perhaps moderation is key here. Let me know what you guys think.
    Find me a study that shows occasional (even one a day) cigar smoking leads to statistically significant increases in health risk. Pay attention to what they control for, I.e. inhaling, previous cigarette smoker, number cigars per day.

I will not say smoking is good for you, but it is not as bad as you may suspect (for occasional cigar smokers who dont inhale ). Dont read summaries, find the original source study
    Look also to the source of the info. All to often it is put out by the anti smoking establishment. I've also read studies that say cigar smoking of 1-2 a day offer no greater risk than a nonsmoker. I'm more worried about the air we breathe 24 hours a day and the chemicals in our food and water.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    It's all about personal choice and risk vs quality of life. I've been smoking cigars since I was 12 and that's been 47 years so I don't even think about risk at all. I have a better chance of a Mack Truck or a bus or some other fluke accident taking my life than a cigar. I think a proactive approach is to seek medical evaluations every year with a full workup and see how that goes...prevention and seeing how your body is doing is the key if you are worried about cigars. Even twice a year checkups will keep you on the straight and narrow.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Don't know if anyone has told you, but the real killer is breathing. Everything that has done it has or will die.

Kinda kidding, but for me it's just a choice between enjoying today or worrying about something that MIGHT happen. I've had several people close to me die from various cancers; some folks take that and go to the healthy extreme avoiding anything that MIGHT harm them. Me? I took it as a lesson in enjoying life because we're pretty fragile and promised nothing but the present. Even if we do every healthy thing in the book we may die young; conversely I've known folks that have done every drug under the sun and lived into their 80's. Bottom line? *** happens. Or doesn't. But you only get one go around on this little ball of dirt of ours, do you want to live it in fear of the things that can kill you or enjoy the little things on the ride?
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dinugs:
    Perhaps moderation is key here. Let me know what you guys think.
    Aristotle said: "Everything in moderation." He wrote a book on it, and is considered authoritative on the subject. Note that the first word in Ari's wise admonition is "Everything": I am told this was several years before Ari married Jackie.

Moderation not enough for you? Ben Franklin improved on Ari with this axim: "Do everything in moderation, including moderation." The eminent printer was said to have followed this philosophy most of his life.

Those of us who have reached the age of wisdom don't need to worry. The older you get, the less you have at stake. If at twenty you take up a vice which in twenty five years will make you schidt sideways, then at forty five you will be in deep doodoo. If you are sixty five when you take up that same vice, then at ninety... Depends.

But in all seriousness:
    Many years ago, National Geographic sent a team round to study three notable communities which abound in centenarians: Hunza, Abkhasia, and Vicalbamba. Diet, religion, life style, ethnicity, all varied widely. The most notable variation, in my mind, was that both the Hunza and Abkhasians thought long life a blessing, which you would expect. The Vicalbambans in Peru thought it a curse. The Nat Geo guys thought this an effect of Catholicism. But there were many items which all three places shared in common. All are mountainous and poor. So between hiking to the outhouse and fetching water everyone got a strenuous daily workout. None have much access to even rudimentary medical attention. All three peoples marry early and stay married until death; then promptly marry again. Illiteracy is preferred. Some had left for military service, but returned to forget the outside world, and would point to their brother or cousin who did not return to oblivion and so died early after a mere 85 years. Universally avoided news.

All three peoples smoked like chimbleys.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    My baby sister married a straight arrow Adventist. Never smoked drank, or carried on in his life. Caught lung cancer and died at fifty. As a result, my baby sister refuses to be in the same room as a smoker. If you can follow the logic of that please clue me in.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I like to call my favorite statistic to attention when this topic is raised. 100% of non-smokers die. Live it up boys. You only get one go 'round, might as well enjoy it.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    dinugs:
    I go through the same cognitive dissonance as you. I've had several relatives and friends die young of lung cancer and other respiratory diseases and all but one of them smoked cigarettes their entire lives. I also truly believe that there probably is a higher risk of throat cancer among cigar smokers, since there can't possibly be anything beneficial about having poisonous smoke rolling around your mouth.

So when I decided to try cigar smoking, I really thought about whether I wanted to take this risk, and I've rationalized it by smoking no more than two cigars a week, with generally several days between them. Other kinds of cancer run in my family, so my feeling is I'm going to get one of them anyway, so if my limited smoking creates the lowest odds of getting lung cancer I'll do it.

However, if I did see some very convincing medical studies from researchers showing a significant increase in certain kinds of cancers due to moderate cigar smoking I'd stop right away.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I read one study that said you have to smoke something like 6 churchill sized cigars a day every day to increase your cancer risk by 2%

i also remember a study that discussed life span of 4 groups: Cigarette smokers, Cigar smokers, Pipe smokers, Non-smokers.

they found that Cigarette smokers live the shortest. they were expecting pipe and cigar smokers to be next but they werent. Non-smokers were next in length of life. the pipe smokers lived the longest and cigar smokers followed.

one of the speculated explanations is that cigars and pipes require you to sit down and relax like very few things do. relaxation is much better than stress. everyone knows that stress isnt good.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you trust The National Cancer Institute (The guv'ment) to answer questions honestly? I think not. They have their own Q&A section @ http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/cigars

Q. Are cigars less hazardous than cigarettes?

A. Because all tobacco products are harmful and cause cancer, the use of these products is strongly discouraged. There is no safe level of tobacco use. People who use any type of tobacco product should be encouraged to quit. For help with quitting, see the National Cancer Institute (NCI) fact sheet Where To Get Help When You Decide To Quit Smoking at.............blah blah blah............

Everybody knows that the answer is yes. But since they've got a zero tolerance policy in place on tobacco they AVOID ANSWERING THEIR OWN QUESTION!!!!

Dumbest thing I've seen the guv'ment do all day! But then again I haven't been looking either.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see, I've been exposed to every kind of rock dust, used to wear asbestos mittens both as a welder and then later as a Tanker in the Army, where they could still use them for years after they were banned in the civilian workplace, every kind of welding fume, including the iso-cyanate from galvanized steel, every kind of paint fume and paint thinner, every known solvent, and the government has told me that everything from coffee and white bread to bologna will give me cancer. I'm going to enjoy a damn cigar whenever I want.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    +1
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you also know that driving in, on, or near a car increases the risk of you being killed in an automobile accident? I'm never getting in, on, or near a car again!
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Automobile accidents are the leading cause of death in the US. Best get used to teleporting to get around!
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I would agree that cigarettes are bad for you.. i was a 2 pack a day kinda guy and when i started coughing alot and noticed i was having some effort to breathe and I knew it was time to stop. I moved to smoking cigars to let me enjoy the habit without destroying my lungs anymore. It has been 6 months since i quit cigarettes and took up cigars and the health difference is night and day. If you must smoke, Id say the Cigar is the way. Worst i can ever imagine from cigar smoking is throat or mouth cancer - and if you brush your teeth regularly or chew some gum to help pull the alkyloids out of your mouth and spit id imagine this is even reduced further. We can only enjoy so many things anymore.... drinking is so closely watched now that its loosing its luster, and the gov seems to find it okay to slowly steal our freedom more and more each day. If you already smoke Cigars... enjoy it and let the rest of the world worry about the nonsense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    My dentist checks me for oral and troat cancer related to cigar smoking every 5-6 months I see him for a teeth cleaning. Of course, I did say I smoked cigars the first time I saw him so that's what brought it to his attention. I don't see the non-inhaling hobbyist any more at risk than someone who drinks. I'm not going to let fear dictate my life if I can help it. If it's your time, it's your time regardless of what you're doing.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    Let's see, I've been exposed to every kind of rock dust, used to wear asbestos mittens both as a welder and then later as a Tanker in the Army, where they could still use them for years after they were banned in the civilian workplace, every kind of welding fume, including the iso-cyanate from galvanized steel, every kind of paint fume and paint thinner, every known solvent, and the government has told me that everything from coffee and white bread to bologna will give me cancer. I'm going to enjoy a damn cigar whenever I want.
    I agree. I've said this before, I've survived 30 years of police work and prostate cancer. I enjoy my 5 to 7 cigars a week and whatever happens will happen.

I do know that now that I force myself to relax with a good cigar for an hour and a half at a time, my blood pressure has dropped 20 points!

• Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I looked into this in depth a few years back. I changed one thing. I rarely drink hard liquor with cigars now. Usually water or coffee, sometimes a Mexican coke, occasionally a beer.
  • Options
    KingoftheCove:
    I looked into this in depth a few years back. I changed one thing. I rarely drink hard liquor with cigars now. Usually water or coffee, sometimes a Mexican coke, occasionally a beer.
    How about an explanation. Why would you stop drinking hard liquor while smoking cigars? What does this have to do with cancer? Never heard of a connection but I might need to know about this.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I'm too lazy to find the articiles (should have bookmarked them I suppose)
    But essentially it's this:
    tobacco use is a risk factor for cancer
    alcohol use is a risk factor for cancer
    when combined, on a "regular" basis, the risk factors went up significantly, in some studies much more than significantly.

Wish I could find the article, but there were a few researches who had a theory (which I agree with) that when drinking (particularly hard alcohol), there are temporary changes in the oral mucosa (a "thinning", for lack of a better explanation) that allows for more carcinogens, etc. to be absorbed when swilling smoke around in your mouth, throat, etc.)
    It made sense to me.

• Options
    Well, I always thought that the alcohol would kill carcinogenic cells just as dead as good cells. Maybe that was wishful thinking. But hey! Isn't mouthwash and pre-brushing rinses mostly alcohol? If their theory is right then they shouldn't make mouthwash and oral rinse with alcohol,............. This is making me want a stiff drink. And a smoke too.
  • Options
    KingoftheCove:
    So what's the deal with Mexican coke? Columbian not good enough for ya?

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    KingoftheCove:
    american coke is made with corn syrup.
    mexican coke is made with real cane sugar. therefore it tastes way better.
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    webmost:
    KingoftheCove:
    american coke is made with corn syrup.
    mexican coke is made with real cane sugar. therefore it tastes way better.
    You cut your coke with sugar? Seems kind of redundant.