Home Cigar 101
Options

Cheap bundle or "Crappers" recommendation

dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
Hey guys! I find myself smoking 4 to 5 cigars a day and I simply cannot afford to be burning 6 and 7 dollar sticks like this all day. Anybody have a good "cheep-o" bundle or box they can recommend? I am very open to just about any flavor profile... i just prefer a well constructed cigar - nuthing thats gonna fall apart or burn stupid. I would do machine made cigars, but i just cant seem to find anything that i like that doesnt taste like cardboard or candy. Thanks, A.j.

Comments

• Options
    Have you tried cigar.coms houseblends? They are pretty cheap and not bad.
  • Options
    Ccom house blends for sure and the Free Cuba carona's aren't bad either if you enjoy smaller ring stuff. I just got a bundle of the torpedoes and I'm wishing I would've stuck with the caronas.
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Have you considered a second job? Just kidding! We have all been there. I have found myself smoking 3 and 4 sometimes but never for very long periods of time.

Smaller rings might well be the solution. There are several that I like Hoyo de Monterrey has several that are priced well and are good smokes. Some are below $2 a stick if you like petit sizes. Even Cohiba in the tins can be had for under $2. They are great quick smokes (about 45 min. or so for me). At 4 or 5 a day, I cannot imagine smoking Churchill's anyway!
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look for the fonseca arana bundle of 20, very good smokes and can be found very cheap. Good luck
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    AJ Fernandez Fresh rolled.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Cuba Libre, La Estrella Cubana, 5 Vegas entire line just about, Gran Habano 2002, etc. etc. There are literally tons out there for a couple/few bucks a piece. The trick is to not just fill your shopping cart. Instead, get them from the daily deals, sprint sale, etc.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    AJ Fernandez Fresh rolled.
    The fresh rolled are a favorite of mine at a very reasonable price. Good choice there.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's lots of good budget smokes to be had here at cigar.com. I would say keep your eye on the Weekend Blitz specials. Lately they have been featuring samplers. Take this weeks sampler for example. The CAO Classics Sampler is $59.95 That's $3 a stick for some nice cigars with free shipping.

Also the Sprint Sale is a good way to get a bargain. Also free shipping. I just took a quick look at some of my purchases on the sprint sale and I'm pleased with the prices.

I got 10 of the Graycliff G2 PG Robustos for $2.60 a stick.

I got 10 of the Alec Bradley Harvest '97 Double Toros for $2.97 a stick.

I got a bundle of 20 of the Gran Habano 3 Siglos Churchill for $2.05 a stick.

I got a bundle of 20 of the Fonseca Arana Torpedos for $1.56 a stick
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i suggest you smoke less.
  • Options
    Here's an Idea. You could try the Primeros Regionals Variety Sampler III - $2.00 a stick. Pick your favorites from the sampler. Then you can get 40 cigar bundles of each blend at $1.50 a stick. I haven't tried these yet but I'm curious about them too. Why pay more if you love a $1.50 cigar? All the more reason to love it.

Also check out all the many samplers offered at cigar.com. Many premiums can be bought at around $2.oo The trick is to get free shipping into the deal somehow.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    The Carlos Torano Dominico was always a really good cheap cigar. Also Drew Estate's La Vieja Habana line was pretty good if memory serves.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    The AJ Fernandez "Overruns" which are rumored to be the San Lotano Ovals.
  • Options
    I actually like the General Grants for the price
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Take up pipe dude
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    ^^^^^
    +1
    Yes

AJ Overruns are good. And the price is a steal!!
    Love them for walking the dog, yard work, etc.

But .... the overruns are a mix of all the AJ blends.
    So it's possible you cold get the San Lotano Ovals ---- but you could also get any of his other blends.
    I've had bundles that are 5V AAA, Nica Libre, Diesel, etc. If you like AJ's blends though this is a great option.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Cigary:
    +1 but they can be any AJ blend..... also try the Nica 2nds..... Oliva (I think) I have bought both and both are OK
  • Options
    Cigary:
    they arent.

in fact they arent any blend that is put out as brand name.

they may be good, but they are not the Ovals.

you have to remember that they are "overruns" not "seconds"

the difference is actually significant.

seconds are cigars that are made for a specific blend but for some reason, post roll, they are deemed not good enough to sell in a box. often times it is just a color issue or a minor flaw.

overruns are different and if i am not mistaken AJ is the only one that handles the situation that causes overruns like he does.

most cigar companies buy tobacco from farmers in big lots. the lot may have 50% Dominican Ligero, 20% Nicaraguan Seco, and 30% Nicaraguan Viso. this lot will not be broken up. if the cigar company only wants the Dominican Ligero then they MUST buy the Nicaraguan Viso and seco as well.
    so what do they do with tobacco? most cigar companies, most notably Rocky Patel, will make a new blend use this tobacco and not take a loss. this is why some of those huge companies have so many blends that dont shine.

AJ Fernandez will blend that extra tobacco and release it all as "Overruns"
    the overruns will not be consistent but they will have AJs blending style. if you dont care what is in them then buy and enjoy. they arent bad. they are just a tool for AJ to not take a loss.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Cigary:
    they arent.

seconds are cigars that are made for a specific blend but for some reason, post roll, they are deemed not good enough to sell in a box. often times it is just a color issue or a minor flaw.

overruns are different and if i am not mistaken AJ is the only one that handles the situation that causes overruns like he does.

most cigar companies buy tobacco from farmers in big lots. the lot may have 50% Dominican Ligero, 20% Nicaraguan Seco, and 30% Nicaraguan Viso. this lot will not be broken up. if the cigar company only wants the Dominican Ligero then they MUST buy the Nicaraguan Viso and seco as well.
    so what do they do with tobacco? most cigar companies, most notably Rocky Patel, will make a new blend use this tobacco and not take a loss. this is why some of those huge companies have so many blends that dont shine.

the overruns will not be consistent but they will have AJs blending style. if you dont care what is in them then buy and enjoy. they arent bad. they are just a tool for AJ to not take a loss.
    that explains a lot. I've bought them, and couldn't figure out for the life of me what they were "overruns" of.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    I believe they may be seconds in some cases. I received a robusto overruns bundle that happened to have chisel tips. Those can't be anything other than the MoW 52C.
  • Options
    Well, Great recommendations Gentlemen! I refuse to smoke less.... I want to die puffing like a freight train. I have considered a pipe! There soo cool looking to me, but anymore additions to my filthy smoking habit and my wife will flip. I have purchased the Primeros Regionals Variety Sampler III, the logic of being able to try a selection sounded great and the price is resonable to get a start on a daily favorite. I also went and sat down with my local BM and got his suggestions as well. and for the 2 hour chat and smoke i got sent home with a box of Maroma Dulce churchills and some unknown brand Maduro Cigarillos. Thanks all for advice you guys are great!
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Cigary:
    they arent.

Dang, Kuzi! I have been working my way through a batch of over-runs lately wondering what they were. This splains it.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    +1 for taking up a pipe. Good tobacco is very very reasonable and you can get more mileage from 8 bucks of tobacco than an 8 dollar cigar. My favorite cheapo fishing cigar used to be flor de oliva maduro,
  • Options
    Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    Diesel unholy cocktail can be had for about 2.50 a smoke. Great little cheap cigar. I bought 4 boxes of 30 not long ago for 75 bucks per box.
  • Options
    i was just thinking after re reading this thread...
    there are a lot of cigars out there that are very inexpensive and are quality. i dont consider those "crappers"

the above Unholy cocktail is one example of that. they are cigars that are good but you wont feel bad smoking them at any point because of the price point. the JdN Celebracion toro is $100 a box making them $5 a pop. i can smoke any one of those at any point and not feel bad. if its a special occasion i can still smoke one and i KNOW it will be good. its a "good day at work" after work smoke. special enough and good. the key word there is "good"
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    i was just thinking after re reading this thread...
    there are a lot of cigars out there that are very inexpensive and are quality. i dont consider those "crappers"

the above Unholy cocktail is one example of that. they are cigars that are good but you wont feel bad smoking them at any point because of the price point. the JdN Celebracion toro is $100 a box making them $5 a pop. i can smoke any one of those at any point and not feel bad. if its a special occasion i can still smoke one and i KNOW it will be good. its a "good day at work" after work smoke. special enough and good. the key word there is "good"
    Yes “Crappers” is a harsh term. LOL Yes the object of the game is finding and buying quality smokes for what you would expect to pay for crappy cigars.

There does however, seem to be a price threshold (I'm talking ccom prices) where the sticks start to go downhill in quality in my opinion. I'd be surprised if any cigar that is “regular priced” at less than $2 - $3 a stick would satisfy me.

BUT! That's where the daily deals and weekend blitzes and of course the sprint sales really pay off. I saw a great deal on the sprint sale this morning. It was a box of 25 5 Vegas Classic Churchills that went for less than $45. Most guys can vouch for the 5 Vegas Classic's enjoyment factor. So that makes it an amazing deal at $1.75 a stick (with free shipping too).
  • Options
    KevinFittsKevinFitts Posts: 225
    Gran Habano 2002 and Lapearla black pearls are my cheap smoke "go to's". They are also respectable enough to hand to friends when out and about and a quick smoking opportunity arises.
  • Options
    Sorry if the term " crappers" is a bit harsh, just a term i learned from my local B&M when i talked to them about the cheaper bundle cigars they had on the shelf.. I have found some cheap coronas from a site that are maduro and perfect for me during the day, i got them on on sale of a box of 40 for 33 bucks... And i am very very pleased. Now i feel much better about enjoying a nice stick in the evening or morning and having a good smoke during the day in the shop.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Lots of good cigars can be had on the cheap. You just have to know where to look and how and when to bid.
    My latest haul - showing price per cigar:
    Arturo Fuente 858 Maduro - $2.60
    Camacho Corojo Monarca - $2.00
    E.P. Carrillo Encantos Natural - $1.50
    E.P. Carrillo Encantos Maduro - $1.50
    E.P. Carrillo New Wave Brillante Natural - $1.50
    EPC Elencos Don Rubino Natural - $1.50
    Camacho Triple Maduro 50/4.5 - $1.30
    La Floridita Limited Magnum Maduro - $1.30
    Oliva MB III Churchill - $3.00

Two solid "less expensive" cigars are Flor de Oliva Robs and the GH 2002 Rob, which can often be had for $1.50/ea.

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    Lots of good cigars can be had on the cheap. You just have to know where to look and how and when to bid.
    My latest haul - showing price per cigar:
    Arturo Fuente 858 Maduro - $2.60
    Camacho Corojo Monarca - $2.00
    E.P. Carrillo Encantos Natural - $1.50
    E.P. Carrillo Encantos Maduro - $1.50
    E.P. Carrillo New Wave Brillante Natural - $1.50
    EPC Elencos Don Rubino Natural - $1.50
    Camacho Triple Maduro 50/4.5 - $1.30
    La Floridita Limited Magnum Maduro - $1.30
    Oliva MB III Churchill - $3.00

Two solid "less expensive" cigars are Flor de Oliva Robs and the GH 2002 Rob, which can often be had for $1.50/ea.

Where the effin F are you getting EP Carillo Elencos for 1.50!!!!
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    pm sent..........