Home Cigar 101
Options

Using a match

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
When you use a match or a soft flame lighter, do you toast the foot, or just light away?
One God, One Truth

Comments

• Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I have not been able to successfully toast with a match or soft flame. I fire it right up.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I toast. It is nearly impossible to do outside with a match. Some soft flames work. They force you to slow down, which is the easy thing not to do with a torch. I don't understand saying you can't toast with a soft flame. Why not? Cedar spills? They burn long so you can toast.

I'm trying fireplace matches since I rarely buy boxes and can't make my own spills or afford the pre-made ones.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scorching the foot can have a big negative effect on flavor. I've really tried to get better at gently toasting the foot before I even cut the head. And I do all my smoking outdoors so toasting is a challenge. Either I get lucky and the wind is calm. (rarely ) Or I break out a jet lighter and do the dance around the foot while trying not to scorch it. Also if it's not too breezy, I've got a great tabletop lighter that I can turn the flame down low and that helps. It's the Alec Bradley "The Burner" and I heartily recommend it. It's not a jet flame. It's not exactly a soft flame either. It's more like a camp stove in miniature scale. I can block the wind with one hand and hold the foot out of the flame but directly above the heat with my other hand. I get the foot glowing and then I clip it.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Bob Luken:
    Scorching the foot can have a big negative effect on flavor. I've really tried to get better at gently toasting the foot before I even cut the head. And I do all my smoking outdoors so toasting is a challenge. Either I get lucky and the wind is calm. (rarely ) Or I break out a jet lighter and do the dance around the foot while trying not to scorch it. Also if it's not too breezy, I've got a great tabletop lighter that I can turn the flame down low and that helps. It's the Alec Bradley "The Burner" and I heartily recommend it. It's not a jet flame. It's not exactly a soft flame either. It's more like a camp stove in miniature scale. I can block the wind with one hand and hold the foot out of the flame but directly above the heat with my other hand. I get the foot glowing and then I clip it.
    Bob has the right idea here and scorching the foot of any cigar can have disastrous effects...charred taste and can make a great cigar turn into a dog rocket. There are really good soft flame lighters on the market..Xikar Exodus which stays on and is pretty much wiindproof and when using matches ensure they are 'cigar' matches that are thick and long...don't get fooled into using matches with the sulphur on the tip...they can ruin a good cigar as well.
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I toast, and only use a soft flame. I don't own anything but soft flame lighters. If I am out and it is too windy to light I will find a place out of the wind for a few minutes.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    When you use a match or a soft flame lighter, do you toast the foot, or just light away?
    One big kitchen match toast foot.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I normally bring 2-4 outside with me. For some reason using a match, I have burn issues that i have to fix.
    Thanks for the responses.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    always toast.

I like the soft flame but i dont like matches. i use a soft flame lighter. Xikar of course. seems the best outside for me but still not perfect. nothing is.
  • Options
    I also toast and I have to admit I am pretty hopeless with matches so I use lighter with soft flame.
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I always toast. I have a lighter that has both soft flame and torch (and a punch). When its windy only one works. When its calm I love the soft flame.