Home Cigar 101
Options

What is your target humidity level?

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
I know this has been beat to death over time but here it is again. I have some beads that are 65% and some that are 70%. Some in a small 20 count humi (65%) and some in a 150 count (70%). I cant tell any difference in the smokes.

So, if you could control humidity down to the degree what would your target be? 60, 65, 70, 72,?????

For Boveda followers, which pack do you choose?

Comments

• Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    I decided to basically split the 65 and 70 and keep mine at 67-68. All sticks are smoking great so I have no reason to change as of yet. I'm also very new as ou can probably tell though.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    double post
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess my target RH if I had to pick one single reading would be 67%RH. But really I'm OK with anything between 65% and 70%. Any reading above 70% or below 65% requires an intervention on my part. As long as RH remains pretty stable, I'm happy. And most of the time my coolers are maintenance free. However, I have a few 50 count desktops that require more adjustment. My guess is that the seals are not great. I think they're ok for cheap 50 counts but they're not great. I think they are more susceptible to outside RH fluctuations. I'm looking to snag another "Southport Large" on the Sprint Sale sometime soon and consolidate my smaller humis into it. I already have one other Southport Large and I really like that one. BTW I use silica Kitty Litter in all my coolers & humis. I don't think I've spritzed any distilled water on my KL in the coolers in months. But I've done more spritzing in my smaller wooden humis, but lately I've used gel jars to bump RH upward. That technique takes a few days longer to get the desired bump in RH but I'm less likely to go above my target RH using gel jars to affect the the KL than if I spritz the KL with distilled water.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    65% for smoking. 70% for "aging"
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I stick around 68%. I use 69% Boveda packs.
  • Options
    SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    I have it set for 65%, but flucuates a few points depending on weather & fullness of humidor. Some brands seem to smoke better at lower rh levels than others, but all in all most smoke fine anywhere in the normal range.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    70%
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to stay around 67-68
    And I finally have the correct bead: gel : humi/boveda pack ratio to keep it stable

But really, as long as the cigars are smoking well ---- and it's not under 63 or over 70 for an extended period of time (1 week+) I'm happy.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    My humidor has been rock solid at 67% for almost the entire time I have had it.
  • Options
    Gino USMCGino USMC Posts: 127
    71 but never below 70%... Sorry, I just saw that in hall pass. But seriously, I like mine around 68.
  • Options
    70%. In my 50 count I use Boveda 69% and they do very well.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    63-65%
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    72% for me.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    65-67 don't like overly moist cigars
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    If my humidors are between 70 and 72 I don't do a thing.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    67 seems to work for most of what I've got, although I have a 30ct at 65
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    As long as they stay in the 63-70 range, I don't care.