Home Cigar 101
Options

How do you pronounce this cigar name????!!!

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
So I am sure many of you have sat looking at a cigar band and said to your self...how the FK do you say this word???? Is it Vag?? is it Veeeehaaaaaahaaayyyyy??? I ddunnnnooo???

I am sure there are smarter people on this forum that can help you pronunciate that word correctly so you dont feel like such a tool..... so help your brothers out and tell them how to say dem words correctly!

Comments

• Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    I was wondering how you say tatuaje. Tattooeee???
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    What about "criollo"? Cree-yo-yo, maybe? Or cree-lo-ho? I give up...
  • Options
    Toombes:
    I think it's Karillo...
  • Options
    Toombes:
    no i dont think that is right, I think it is CRIoLLLLOooooo
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    I know. I have fits with conojos. Love them.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    curtpick:
    CO NO JOES
  • Options
    ddubridge:
    curtpick:
    CO NO JOES
    i think there is a silent r in there..... COOOO noooRRR joes
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Toombes:

Never mind... I googled it, it's "Crayola". Who knew?
  • Options
    what CAO. I think you pronounce it COW.
  • Options
    Toombes:
    Toombes:

Never mind... I googled it, it's "Crayola". Who knew?
    I call Bs on that one mr enola. It is pronuncicateed not like that at all.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    So I am sure many of you have sat looking at a cigar band and said to your self...how the FK do you say this word???? Is it Vag?? is it Veeeehaaaaaahaaayyyyy??? I ddunnnnooo???

I am sure there are smarter people on this forum that can help you pronunciate that word correctly so you dont feel like such a tool..... so help your brothers out and tell them how to say dem words correctly!
    Vee- ah -hey
    ddubridge:
    I was wondering how you say tatuaje. Tattooeee???
    Tat -ooh - ah - hey
    Toombes:
    Cree - oh -yo
    ddubridge:
    what CAO. I think you pronounce it COW.
    yes. thats exactly right.
  • Options
    Hey great thread! I've been wondering how to pronounce some of these names.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea. I still get stumped sometimes... You really don't notice until you walk in a b&m and want to ask for something new.... Uh.. It was uh..
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    curtpick:
    uh... Conojos translated to "with the eyes"

i dont think thats a cigar.
    if you are talkin about the Tatuaje cigars then you are talking about "Cojonu"

that is pronounced:

coe - hoe- new

and it roughly translates to "ballsy"

• Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Great idea for a thread. So is ligero pronounced lee-hair-o or lee-gair-o? I know the r is trilled, but that's not my issue. I've heard both. Usually it's the j that makes the h sound in Spanish and not the g so this one is confusing to me.

As for the double l as in criollo or tortilla, it is almost always pronounced as an English y; tor-tee-ya and cree-o-yo. The double l is actually a separate letter in the Spanish alphabet and it is called elle, pronounced eh-ye.
  • Options
    pelirrojo:
    Great idea for a thread. So is ligero pronounced lee-hair-o or lee-gair-o? I know the r is trilled, but that's not my issue. I've heard both. Usually it's the j that makes the h sound in Spanish and not the g so this one is confusing to me.

As for the double l as in criollo or tortilla, it is almost always pronounced as an English y; tor-tee-ya and cree-o-yo. The double l is actually a separate letter in the Spanish alphabet and it is called elle, pronounced eh-ye.
    the r is not trilled . "R"s are not unless there are two of them. it is also considered another letter called "perro"
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can somebody help me with this one? - Connecticut.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    Can somebody help me with this one? - Connecticut.
    pronounced: "long tidal river"

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lee HEH doh

That's a tough one I know. The double ell is an ell glued to a wye
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    kdee OHL yo
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    coe DOE hoe

There's no enn in it, so there's nothing to do with eyes

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about Illusione???

i -'lü - zh?n
    (like illusion?)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    What about Illusione???

i -'lü - zh?n
    (like illusion?)

ill-loozh-e-o-nay. I'm not good with pronunciation keys (I'm a math teacher, afterall), but I think this should give you the right idea.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    curtpick:
    uh... Conojos translated to "with the eyes"

i dont think thats a cigar.
    if you are talkin about the Tatuaje cigars then you are talking about "Cojonu"

that is pronounced:

coe - hoe- new

and it roughly translates to "ballsy"

Learn something knew every day around here ! ;)
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    So Cohiba behike is pronounced bEE-hIke right?
  • Options
    brianetz1:
    So Cohiba behike is pronounced bEE-hIke right?
    bee- hick -ay
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    As much fun as this is, I wish we could just click on a "pronounce it" button and here it correctly. That would be a lot easier than this. I am sure that is not an easy task but someone somewhere must have it, right? Anyone found a link yet?
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    J.S.:
    As much fun as this is, I wish we could just click on a "pronounce it" button and here it correctly. That would be a lot easier than this. I am sure that is not an easy task but someone somewhere must have it, right? Anyone found a link yet?
    I agree, and I was a linguistics major as an undergrad. Even if this were in the International Phonetic Alphabet, I suspect there'd still be disagreement on some of these.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    so someone needs to make a 10 second youtube video for each word, we could then click on the link. Kuzi is the best candidate for this.
  • Options
    interestingly enough, if i cant figure it out i usually go on to youtube and search for it.
    for example I was having a difficult time with "Eiroa" (last name of Christian Eiroa, former camacho blender, current CLE blender.) I searched for "Eiroa" on youtube and found a few videos with interviews form whaqt i considered a reputable source.

i learned its pronounced

ear - oh - ah

same with Behike

most of the rest of them are just common topic of conversation at my local B&M and it just kinda sinks in.