Home Ratings & Reviews

Jacob's Reviews

Hey there! My name is Jacob and I am relatively new to the world of cigars. I am an avid wine drinker but am currently working in Iraq without access to alcohol. Because I can't have wine I decided to try my hand at cigars and I have developed a new hobby.

What I always loved about wine were the subtle differences from each winemaker. I find it amazing that the same variety of grape can be grown in two areas and those grapes will produce two strikingly different wines. I have found the same fascination with cigars. I love how two different cigar makers will blend together their toboccos to come up with two very different cigars

So...on to my first review!

Tonight I smoked a RP Edge Corojo Missile (5"x48). I like to give my cigars a good pre cut inspection. The construction on this stick was very good. There seemed to be no major flaws or seems. The cap clipped of easily with my double blade cutter. The Edge lit easily and started with a good even burn. Right away this stick started giving off huge clouds of very flavorful smoke. The flavors were very good but hard to figure out at first. I settled in and started giving this stick my full attention and it really opened up about mid-way through the first third. I began exhaling a bit of smoke through my nose and I was really able to pick up some great spice flavors; clove, cinnamon, mace, etc...This cigar made me realize that there is a huge difference between pepper and spice flavors. This cigar definatley had spice flavors with an absence of pepper. Very nice.

These cigars have a reputation for being powerful and this one did not disappoint. I really started to feel it about the midway point. Normally I don't ever feel the body of a cigar until I get down to the band point. All in all this was a very good cigar. Certainly something I will buy more of and keep on hand. They aren't overly priced so they can be smoked with some frequency.

So that is my first review. As I smoke more I will post more reviews. Hopefully some of the more seasoned smokers out there can see what I like and recomend sticks that they think I will enjoy.

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Nice review there Jacob. I had a RP EDGE missle the other day, and experienced much the same flavors. The burn and draw on most RP stick have always been superb.
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    Tonight I smoked the RP Connecticut. During my pre-cut inspection I noticed a small crack on this stick from just above the band running about 1/2" to 3/4" towards the foot. Given the desert environment I am in I have to give a bit of a pass on these sorts of things. The arid air out here can wreak havoc on your cigars if you are not very careful. Plus, this is the first Rocky Patel cigar I have that had that showed even the slightest imperfection.

So I decided to give this stick a try despite the crack. I used my double blade to snip a bit of the cap off; I got a nice clean cut. A pre light draw indicated flavors of hay. I took my time lighting the RP Connecticut and got a good even burn on it right from the start. I could immediately tell that this was vastly different than the RP Edge that I smoked last night. The flavors were smooth and creamy through the first third. This cigar made me realize that there are certain cigars that are more appropriate for certain times of the day. This cigar just screams Sunday morning with a cup of coffee. But, here I was at 9:00 PM on a Saturday night. Oh well, I was enjoying it anyway.

When I retrohaled the smoke from this stick through my nose I was able to pick up some distinctly floral notes.

I got through the first half of this cigar with no burn issues at all. When I got to the point where the stick was starting to crack the wrapper started to come undone just a bit but it still smoked fine and I was able to smoke it down to the nub without any major issues.

I certainly wish that I had a different setting to smoke this cigar in. Walking around a military base in Iraq certainly was not the most ideal setting. I think that had I smoked this cigar on a cool Sunday morning in my backyard with a cup of coffee with cream and sugar I would have enjoyed it much more. It was a good smoke but I don't think I will go out of my way to buy more. However, i would not be dissappointed to get one of these in a blind trade or a sampler pack.
    I decided to finish off the Rocky Patel Sampler that I got some time ago and burn the RP Vintage 1992 tonight. A pre-cut inspection reveals a cigar that is impeccably built like all other Rock Patel cigars. The stick feels plump in the hand but has just a bit of give when gently squeezed. Tha cap clips off easily and a pre light draw show a little spice in my nose.

Lets go light the thing

The first third starts out with flavors very similar to the Edge that I smoked the other night. he flavors are just not as bold and there is something missing. Not in a bad way, the flavors are very good, there is just a flavor in the Edge that is not present in the 1992. The burn line is a bit wavy. It doesn't seem to need any correction but I will put it down for a few minutes to see if it straightens out.

The burn has straightened out going into the second third. Not razor sharp but still very good. The flavors haven't changed but they have intensified. Still very similar to the Edge but I will say that it seems a little more refined. Does that make sense?

The ash on this cigar was not real pretty. It had a salt and pepper color with a number of cracks throughout. I expected it to fall off at any moment but it ended up holding onuntil about the halfway point of this robusto sized stick.

Going into the final third the flavors changed a bit. I started picking up some roasted nut flavors and maybe a bit more of tha tclove flavor I found in the Edge. I think I could have taken a bit more time to smoke this cigar. It only took me about 45 minutes to smoke this thing (5"x48).

Overall this was a pretty good smoke that I would like to try again. There was a lot going on here that I just couldn't quite put my finger on. I think that this cigar would really open up if it was paired up with a rum based cocktail like a true daquiri. Maybe I will do that when I get home.
    I bought a box of ten of these things sight unseen. I read that they were a big cigar, 6" x 70. I am a big fan of Nub so I thought I would try something with an even bigger ring guage

These cigars are very dark and have a shaggy foot with a pigtail finish. They seem a little light for as big as they are.

I left these things in my humidor for about a month before smoking one because I wanted to be sure that they had enough time in a good environment. They seemed just a bit dry when I got them in the mail.

The huge ring guage gave me some trouble when I cut this cigar with my double blade cutter. I would normally use a punch on a larger cigar like this but I don't have one with me, and I am now sure it would get a good cut with the pigtail cap. I was able to get a serviceable cut though.

A pre light draw offered no resistance at all. It wal like there wasn't even a cigar in my mouth. I went ahead and lit the thing and had trouble righjt away. I figured that with such a large cigar it may have trouble lighting even at the start; which it did. The thing started tunneling on me pretty bad so I went back to touch up the burn and the whole foot caught on fire.

I blew the fire out and tried to keep smoking but this cigar was offering me nothing. The flavors were not good and the burn was remarkable uneven. Usually I give a cigar two short puffs and a long third draw to get a good mouthful of smoke. This thing was taking like five quick puffs to get the smoke going. I am horribly dissappointed in this cigar.

It may not be the worst cigar I ever smoke but it will be close.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    The Victor Simone (I wont even dignify using his actual name) Bohemian is one I smoked and have in my dossier listed from 5 years ago. It brought back great memories when I read your review, because 5 years later------it remains the worst cigar I have ever smoked. Right on brother.
    Vulchor:
    The Victor Simone (I wont even dignify using his actual name) Bohemian is one I smoked and have in my dossier listed from 5 years ago. It brought back great memories when I read your review, because 5 years later------it remains the worst cigar I have ever smoked. Right on brother.
    Now I just need to figure out what I am going to do with the other nine that I have.
  • taddowtaddow Posts: 51
    I smoked this one for the first time the other night and it was my least like of the Rocky Patel line. The flavors weren't all that bold and at times I even thought they were bitter. Once in a while I got a little flavor/smell of pleasantness but it never lasted long enough to make an impact. I have a few more of these that I'll try aging a few more months before giving them another shot.