Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Passed two more ASE tests!!!

I think its time to celebrate boys. I just passed 2 more of my ASE certifications tests. If you didn't already know I turn wrenches for a living, and it really helps out to have some kind of paperwork to back your knowledge up in this industry. Hopefully I will the remaining 2 to become a master technician by the new year. I would really really really like to get a job working on some type of performance vehicle, or Porsche. Burn one for me tonight boys!!!

Comments

• Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Grats.
  • Options
    SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!! Only 2 more to go!
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Way to go man!!!! :D
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! Hey, I changed a headlight in my car today, do I get any kind of certificate for that? It was like an erector set on crack just to get at the darned thing. I think I deserve something.

But you, sir, congratulations.

I used to work at a place that sold to a guy that restored antique cars and sometimes sold them to the IMS museum. He was from Germany and spoke heavily accented English, so they always sent me since I spoke it a little (but never told him). It was really cool. Cars fascinate me, but I barely understand a thing outside of changing lights, batteries, and maybe an alternator if it's easy to get at.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I let the 4 I had lapse. I'm a Service Advisor but was in charge of a shop for quite some time and decided to get my master certification. the economy went in the toilet, I lost my job there, and have since moved on.
  • Options
    Congratulations!!
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Tyler.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats awesome bro, keep moving up!
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Bamablows:
    I think its time to celebrate boys. I just passed 2 more of my ASE certifications tests. If you didn't already know I turn wrenches for a living, and it really helps out to have some kind of paperwork to back your knowledge up in this industry. Hopefully I will the remaining 2 to become a master technician by the new year. I would really really really like to get a job working on some type of performance vehicle, or Porsche. Burn one for me tonight boys!!!
    I realized that I only left half of the response I wanted to leave. Must've got busy here at work. Regardless, congrats!! The ASE tests aren't always super relevant to the field that you want to go into since there is a lot about vacuum on cylinder heads (which you will never use unless you are working on old stuff). I ran a European shop for 3 years before they F'd with my pay and we parted ways. The key is to get your Master Cert and then go to work getting that practical knowledge. If you like a particular manufacturer, take their specialized training at UTI. You won't come out guns blazing flagging 120 hours a pay period but it's a great knowledge base, especially when you think about all the specialized knowledge you will need for one particular manufacturer. You will also get to use their scan tool, not some generic tool at an independent. This is desirable to a Service Manager because you won't need to be babysat. If I was going to work as a tech for any manufacturer, it would be a luxury brand as they tend to pay more flat rate hours for repairs.

Keep up the great work. I love the automotive industry, especially service which is what I've been doing since 2007. I like to help people with their problems, meet new people, and deal with cars. It's a great industry. It sounds like you are passionate and that always helps.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bamablows:
    Congratulations.
    As someone who has been a mechanic for over 30 years, I wish you good luck on your goals.
    I started in heavy equipment and then I worked for a Porsche, BMW and Mercedes shop and went back into heavy equipment many years back.
    Personally, I prefer the heavy trucks and equipment to automotive.

Remember one thing about certs, they are no replacement for actual knowledge. If I were to suggest one area for a person to concentrate on, it would be Driveability. Troubleshooters are at a premium.
    Good luck and congrats.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    0patience:
    Bamablows:
    Congratulations.
    As someone who has been a mechanic for over 30 years, I wish you good luck on your goals.
    I started in heavy equipment and then I worked for a Porsche, BMW and Mercedes shop and went back into heavy equipment many years back.
    Personally, I prefer the heavy trucks and equipment to automotive.

Remember one thing about certs, they are no replacement for actual knowledge. If I were to suggest one area for a person to concentrate on, it would be Driveability. Troubleshooters are at a premium.
    Good luck and congrats.
    Thanks for the tips! I agree on the drivability knowledge. Engine performance and engine repair was the very first two tests i took
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bamablows:
    Thanks for the tips! I agree on the drivability knowledge. Engine performance and engine repair was the very first two tests i took
    I tell young mechanics that if you know the basics, I mean really know them, then that is half the battle.
    Understanding how and why something works, makes it a whole lot easier to know why it isn't working and what is wrong with it.
    I've seen too many young guys come out of tech schools and have no idea how to troubleshoot anything without a scanner. That tells me that the basics were not taught to them.
    You would be surprised at how many new techs can't even tell you the basics of wiring. How to properly diagnose electrical problems.

When I was young, an old mechanic told me one thing that stuck with me all these years.
    "At the time that you know everything and can't learn anything, you should retire, cause at that point, you will be too much of an arrogant ***** for anyone to work with you."

Being a good troubleshooter means being open minded and willing to listen and learning everything you can, cause this industry changes constantly.
    If you are gonna work flat rate, make sure the shop has a good parts supply and a constant stream of work and see how they handle training. Do they pay or do you pay? Things most folk don't think about until they've started the job and find out they're behind the 8 ball already.
    Leave your options open. I've worked on everything from commercial fishing vessels in Alaska, European imports, logging equipment in Oregon to road construction fleet equipment and vehicles.
    I prefer fleet equipment. I make far more money as a heavy equipment mechanic.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    soyouseesoyousee Posts: 40
    Was a well paid Mechanic for years and went to school for A&P. After many K dollars and time in school was able to take big pay cut and work on my life love of aircraft. Flying everything with fixed wings and building my own aerobatic aircraft, flew stunt all over country, raced pylons, but favorite thing was 2 hour flight from Dallas to folks ranch in New Mexico to rattle the rafters on Sunday morning. Have breakfast with folks, put on little air show for locals and return home. Retired now and sold all aircraft but turning wrenches has given me a great life. Keep it up.

Old Foggy with a Stogie
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    congrats! very very cool!