Home Cigar 101

Q's about cigars out of the humidor

TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
How long can cigars be kept outside of the humidor? Couple days, couple weeks? Never?

If they've been out for a couple weeks can they be brought back by sticking them in the humidor? How long?

What is the best way to store them when not in the humidor? Ziploc? Tupperware?

Thanks in advance.

S.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If you put them in a bag, they can last a couple of days before they start to dry out badly, if you add a humi-pillow that would go up to as much as 2 weeks. But just the cigar left out in the open, it would probably dry out pretty badly within the day unless you are in a terribly humid area.

I'd say go with a Tupperware container and maybe add a humi-pillow if you've got one on hand, they work great...the Tupperware that is.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cigars the have been left out for too long can be revived. they will never be what they could have been, but they will be able to be smoked
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Yeah, the question is if you'd want to even bother smoking them or not. Depending on how long they've been out, it may not even be worth the trouble to attempt a revival.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I accidentally left out two cigars for almost two days ........ when i discovered them i immediatley placed them in the humi and after about 2 months they seemed to be fin and honestly tasted the same as the cigars that werent left out ...... maybe i just got lucky who knows
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I got 6 Nubs that were shipped without a humidification pillow or a plastic bag. They were that way for 4 days. Are they salvageable? I've had them in the humidor for 2 weeks now, but I'm gonna give them another 4.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    You'll be fine. 4 days is not going to kill a smoke. I usually give everything that has been mailed at least 6 weeks anyways.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    vankleekkw:
    You'll be fine. 4 days is not going to kill a smoke. I usually give everything that has been mailed at least 6 weeks anyways.

What he said ...
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    Ah, thanks for the reassurance, but I have one more question:
    I have a few cigars I ordered with Next Day Shipping, so they were only out of CCOM's for 24 hours or so, and even then they had humidification pouches. Can I smoke these after about a week, or should I do my typical 1 month wait?
  • JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
    Personally, everything needs to rest for a while.  You never know how they were before they got shipped etc.  Too many variables to try to smoke something that's not ready and have a big let down not to mention wasting a cigar.

Same for B&M buys.  Sometimes consistency is even worse from them.