Home Cigar 101
Options

How long does a new celllo wrapped box last b4 needing to go to the humi?

New box storage

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    depending on time of year, condition of the plastic, how they were stored before, and quality of the box a matter of weeks.

if it already has been in the neighborhood of a month then get em in a humidor ASAP. they probably are ok or can be brought back to life but i would risk it.

there is cellophane on cigars. there is plastic on the boxes.
  • Options
    When storing a box of cigars in a humidor or coolidor do you need to remove the wrapper from the box? Do you need to leave the box cover ajar?
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    scooter mcgee:
    When storing a box of cigars in a humidor or coolidor do you need to remove the wrapper from the box? Do you need to leave the box cover ajar?

No to both. If you think about this, it came from a giant humidified warehouse where its been sitting sealed for an indeterminate amount of time. The box isn't vacuum sealed, but opening it might help the cigars get acclimatized to your preferred environment faster than leaving the wrapper on. If you plan on aging, then it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    scooter mcgee:

No to both. If you think about this, it came from a giant humidified warehouse where its been sitting sealed for an indeterminate amount of time. The box isn't vacuum sealed, but opening it might help the cigars get acclimatized to your preferred environment faster than leaving the wrapper on. If you plan on aging, then it doesn't matter.
    If it slows down acclimation, wouldn't it also slow down aging?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Sure, but when you age, it's on the order of years. The wrapper would create maybe a delay of several weeks at best. It's an insignificant amount of time really in the age differential. The plastic wrapper might matter if you want to smoke it in the first few months.

Actually, I've bought Oliva V Maduro boxes from 2009 and 2010 this year, and I have boxes with that age on them that I opened in 2011 maybe, and the stuff that was sealed from 2009 and 2010 that I opened this year has a lot more yellow cello than the stuff that I unwrapped. Of course, it's also dependent on the oiliness of the wrapper. Something along those lines would be a good experiment to conduct except that taste of the resultant sticks would be subjective at best.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I think it's nuts not to open the box and inspect the sucks for mold or damage! You can always wrap the box with plastic wrap after inspection. If I get a box I want too age for a while I open it check for damage then out it in the cooler for a couple weeks so it gets to the humidity I like and then rewrap it. But I do agree with kuzi if your question is out if lack of space
    Money can't buy taste