Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Anxiety....Depression or the like too I guess

VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
So here's one that isnt typically talked about in the "man realm", and may go no where. Anyone else have issues with stuff such as this? Depression is not a problem for me------but Anxiety has been for years....at times, damn near unbearable. Well, there---I said it. Lets see if this leads anywhere.

Comments

• Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I get it some times to I get overly stressed about one thing or another especially money even though it's often not really an major issue. If your looking for something natural try holy basil tea with sweet rose you can get it off amazon and has a mild relaxing effect. If you need something a little more potent but still over the counter look in to Phenibut but for somereason they don't sell it on amazon any more and there has been cases of withdrawl with prolong heavy dosage just to be forewarned. If you have seasonal depression which I can often have issues with 15 mins by a UVB a day can really make a difference and you can pick them up in any petshop with reptile supplies. Also make sure your getting enough vitamin B and D.
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    We all do in one form or the other. Slow deep breathes... exhale slowly. I used to have major panic attacks just out of the blue. Regular exercise is my ticket. 6k on my elliptical and dumbells afterwards 4 times a week.. After that I am very relaxed and on a natural high. Just remember your not alone.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Anxiety? Depression? Stress? Those are old friends of mine.
    I combatted them by drinking large volumes of beer and whiskey. Didn't help.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Yup, mild chronic depression. Took me several years and cost me a good friend and a good relationship before i finally admitted what it was, found a doc i could work with and got on a good treatment regimen (meds, exercise, diet, though I'm failing those last two at the moment) and feel better than I had in years, seriously, like night and day. A friend of mine who has a similar diagnosis put it this way about finally getting on a treatment regimen: it doesn't make you happy, but it makes you more capable of being happy again.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a boat.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Buy a boat.
    Or, if you already have a boat,.........Sell the boat.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohhh yeah on both accounts. But what came first for me? Mental health instability caused by years of abuse or the drugs and alcohol that are used as a copping mechanism? I go through peaks and valleys and have so for over 40 years. You live in the rules that are set up in your own head. Nobody can really know or judge what another person thinks and lives through. This hobby is therapy especially the bombing part!
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is it that we are more capable of seeking help for a physical ailment but we rarely seek help if it is emotional or mental. The thing is that you should not have to live with depression or anxiety. Go to a doctor, get help. Best thing I did....
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Tyland64Tyland64 Posts: 712
    This is always a tough subject for men. I had and have my issues . Just when you think all is cool, it rears its ugly head . I stored a lot of crap way back in the recesses of my mind, only to have it show up years later. I never thought I could have PTSD because I do some of my best work when I am under the gun. Years after the Army and Desert Storm, South America , Korea and other military ops I found myself having some issues. I have experimented using amber shaded lenses that enhance light and music treatment to head off the trip down the dark road. I found it works for me, and some of the other guys that I have told about it. Well that's my 2 cents on the Taboo subject. Best Wishes to all. PM me if anyone needs more info on enhanced light and music treatment.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I've struggled with this (depression mostly) throughout my life, but always found ways to cope. I hate taking meds for anything. But a good friend to biotch with, quiet time/prayer, faith, and stubbornness have always seen me through. That and my wife. Her struggles are worse than mine and that puts it in a different perspective for me. I have gone to counseling at times in the past and that has helped, too.

Anxiety has never been much of a problem for me, though. I have an opposite adverse reaction to extreme stress-I tend to shut down. It's just as bad as the anxiety and panic attacks in its own way.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Depression has been and continues to be a big part of my life. My wife and I are able to help each other when we are at our worst. Meds do help. I am not much of an exercise person, but it does help when I take a walk in the woods or something. Now that I work the overnight shift, I sleep too much!! It can also help to have a hobby. Unfortunately spending doesnt count and only makes things worse. I have to learn to manage my life better. I should see if they have a support group. This winter could be another challenge. What helps me to relax and reflect is actually smoking a cigar with a small light in the garage with music. Dog by my side. Enjoy that with a frech vanilla cappo and peppermint. My biggest fear is money, and decending in to a bigger dark hole or vail. Maybe I need to go back to church?? Keep your heads up!
  • Options
    christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Tyland64:
    This is always a tough subject for men. I had and have my issues . Just when you think all is cool, it rears its ugly head . I stored a lot of crap way back in the recesses of my mind, only to have it show up years later. I never thought I could have PTSD because I do some of my best work when I am under the gun. Years after the Army and Desert Storm, South America , Korea and other military ops I found myself having some issues. I have experimented using amber shaded lenses that enhance light and music treatment to head off the trip down the dark road. I found it works for me, and some of the other guys that I have told about it. Well that's my 2 cents on the Taboo subject. Best Wishes to all. PM me if anyone needs more info on enhanced light and music treatment.
    ''''''''''''Wow that is a ton of stuff to live with. Makes my problems seem trivial. Thank you for serving.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    It took five different medications before my doctor found the right one for me, I feel you brother. Anxiety and depression go hand in hand for me. Some days are good and the next I could die and not care. Yes this is a sore subject for MEN to talk about, but unless you are willing to talk, how can you be treated? It took me years to figure this fine point out. Hopefully others will not suffer that long before talking to someone about it and getting the help they need.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    On and off the meds for me, when Im on Im usually pretty good-----off.....not so much. Depression never an issue, but a tidal wave of 24/7 panic that is just enough to allow me to function but too much to get any enjoyment from life....thats what I get. Again though, medicated not too bad. Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcept, the bedroom:/
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    On and off the meds for me, when Im on Im usually pretty good-----off.....not so much. Depression never an issue, but a tidal wave of 24/7 panic that is just enough to allow me to function but too much to get any enjoyment from life....thats what I get. Again though, medicated not too bad. Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcept, the bedroom:/
    I was going to say something about the bedroom issue...not good.